This position is within the area of NIU eSports in the division of Outreach, Engagement & Regional Development (“OERD”). Outreach is the first step to building relationships with the NIU community, near and far. Engagement occurs through partnerships we create. Engagement disseminates the work of the university to the regions we serve – regions that are becoming more global and connected. OERD’s 16 departments provide engaged research, teaching and service to our partners. Through regional development we provide programs, classes and services in DeKalb, Rockford and the greater Chicagoland area benefitting students, educators and industry.
The Esports Assistant Director will report to the Esports Director and support the NIU Esports Initiative’s varied programs and events. They will represent NIU Esports to internal NIU departments, external esports entities and community members; and will manage on- and off-campus esports events throughout the calendar year. The Esports Assistant Director will also oversee the marketing of NIU Esports and its events. They will assist with recruiting and retaining students in the varsity esports program and coordinating practice and competition schedules. They will support the varsity esports players through coaching, mentorship, and leadership.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Coordinates the logistics and activities for specific esports-related initiatives including on-campus events, off-campus events, varsity-related special programming, high school tournaments, and special interest housing community events.
- Plans adequate staffing for events.
- Coaches NIU Esports students to improve performance in competitive esports.
- Implements creative ways to support Esports players’ academic, physical and mental health.
- Assists in the coordination of practice and play schedules for all game titles.
- Promotes varsity esports, NIU Esports club, academic programs and special interest community to prospective students.
- Visits high school and community college esports clubs to represent NIU.
- Plans, staffs, and attends NIU Esports events on NIU’s campus when prospective students are visiting campus.
- Identifies regional marketing opportunities for NIU Esports.
- Coordinates social media marketing for the department across NIU Esports program and the main university channels.
Minimum Required Qualifications (Civil Service)
CREDENTIALS TO BE VERIFIED BY PLACEMENT OFFICER
- Bachelor’s degree.
- A total of one (1) year (12 months) in education, training and/or work experience in the area of specialization inherent to the position*.
*Note:A Master’s Degree in an area consistent with the duties of the position may be substituted for one (1 year) of work experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs)
1. Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
2. Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
3. Skill in analyzing information and evaluating results to choose the best solution and solve problems.
4. Skill in scheduling events, programs, and activities, as well as the work of others.
5. Skill in oral and written communication.
6. Ability to adjust actions in relation to others’ actions.
7. Ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
8. Ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense.
9. Ability to develop specific goals, plans to prioritize, organize, and accomplish tasks.
10. Ability to work effectively with staff, the public, and outside constituency groups.
11. Ability to effectively plan, delegate, and supervise the work of others.
12. Ability to utilize various computer software packages, such as Accounting Software, query, etc.
13. Ability to work independently and exercise judgment in order to be able to analyze and investigate a variety of questions or problems.
14. Ability to analyze and develop guidelines, procedures, and systems.
Specialty Factors (Civil Service)
Preferred Qualifications (Civil Service)
- Master’s degree in communication, sports management, business or information technology completed within one month of position start date.