Search for University Jobs in Senior Administration
Department HR Manager (7377U) - 43055
University of California, Berkeley
Department HR Manager (7377U) - 43055
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles, our Principles of Community, and our Strategic Plan.
At UC Berkeley, we believe that learning is a fundamental part of working, and our goal is for everyone on the Berkeley campus to feel supported and equipped to realize their full potential. We actively support this by providing all of our staff employees with at least 80 hours (10 days) of paid time per year to engage in professional development activities. To find out more about how you can grow your career at UC Berkeley, visit grow.berkeley.edu.
The Graduate School of Education (GSE) is a complex academic unit whose mission is to provide leadership in advancing the theoretical base of education, analyzing the complex social environments of education, and promoting the improvement of educational practice.
The School hosts a cadre of faculty comprised of cognitive scientists, linguists, psychologists, mathematicians, statisticians, economists, computer scientists, historians, physicists, anthropologists, sociologists, policy analysts, and philosophers bringing their disciplines together to serve as educational leaders who offer academic excellence in (a) the graduate preparation of professional educators for selected entry level and advanced positions, (b) the preparation of doctoral level researchers and scholars, and (c) the creation of an innovative exemplary undergraduate program that opens the field of education for exploration by hundreds of students.
The Department also houses career staff, affiliate staff, and student workers totaling approximately 510.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: 10/05/2022.
- Provides comprehensive administrative support to the business services office GSI/GSR and student hiring operation.
- Uses Smartsheet, Docusign, and other campus tools and serves as liaison between the Dean's Office, BSO, and Student Services for hiring student help.
- Establishes adequate student support for each semester to address faculty preparation for classes, general support for business operations, and ad hoc requests from the Dean's Office Administrator.
- Administrative operations include budgetary financial management, position management, and human resources and may include some of the following functions: IT, facilities, student services, and/or contracts and grants.
- Develops and prepares budgets and financial reports for funding which may be complex.
- Gathers, analyzes, prepares and summarizes financial and HR reports.
- Coordinates a variety of human resources activities including: classification, recruitment, orientation, training, development, employment, compensation, evaluation, and performance management.
- Serves as the school's liaison for human resources with ProS HR and ProS RA.
- Researches and keeps abreast of campus policy to ensure compliance.
- Assists the Chief of Staff to provide guidance to supervisor and managers in developing job descriptions, facilitating benefits communications, and providing guidance on compensation programs, personnel policies, procedures, and required supervisor training.
- Maintains the department repository/retrieval of HR data. and/or database, prepares HR actions for those titles maintained in the school including new hires, extensions, salary changes, leaves, and terminations.
- Tracks recruitment requests and staff changes to completion and escalates to appropriate individuals to keep processes moving.
- Maintains communication with managers and supervisors regarding time to completion.
- Develops job descriptions and work standards.
- Determines work methods and documents procedures.
- Provides training and promotes employee development.
- Recommends temporary staff needs.
- Confers with the department administrator on salary setting.
- Anticipates the needs of represented staff and advises managers and supervisors.
- Regularly reviews campus reports to identify potential issues with staff compensation, reporting, other details in UC Path, etc.
- Works with BSE Director of Finance on position management and funding transactions, including ensuring hiring managers complete a funding structure review with either ProS RA or BSE business services personnel.
- Coordinates and participates in a variety of human resources activities including employment, training, classification, and ensuring the completion of forms and documents related to HR and Payroll for unit/department.
- Makes annual plans with the Chief of Staff for professional development with consideration for heavy processing times in areas of responsibility.
May supervise a small staff of support employees and/or students.
May serve on committees, representing department/unit.
- Knowledge of and/or ability to learn University rules and regulations, processes, protocols and procedures for budget, accounting and fund management, and/or personnel management.
- Interpersonal skills including verbal and written communication, active listening, critical thinking, persuasiveness, advising and counseling skills.
- Solid knowledge of and/or ability to learn common University-specific computer application programs such as Job Builder, Service Hub, UC Path, Cal Answers.
- Ability to use discretion and maintain confidentiality.
- Strong skills in short-term planning, analysis, problem-solving, and customer service.
- Thorough knowledge of human resources policies and procedures for staff.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
Salary & Benefits
This is a 100% full-time (40 hrs a week) exempt career position, which is paid monthly and eligible for full UC Benefits. Annual salary is commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit: https://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/index.html
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment in the Resume section.of your application.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=43055&PostingSeq=1
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |