Chartered in 1895, Northern Illinois University (NIU) is a student-centered, regional public research institution with a diverse and international student body of approximately 16,000 students. Located 65 miles from downtown Chicago, in DeKalb, Illinois, NIU is a thriving community of dedicated faculty, staff, students, alumni, local residents and friends. Together, we support the goal of providing upward mobility to our students as well as the opportunity to make an enduring impact on our future.
NIU has a long, rich tradition of academic excellence with a breadth of programmatic offerings that support the academic aspirations of our students. Our nationally and internationally recognized faculty are not only dedicated to advancing their academic disciplines, but, in collaboration with NIU staff, are also focused on providing meaningful curricular and co-curricular experiences that prepare NIU students to be successful in achieving their future goals. NIU is classified by the Carnegie Foundation as a Research University/High Research Activity and a Carnegie Engaged University. NIU offers baccalaureate, master’s, doctoral and law degrees across more than 40 academic departments and seven colleges.
NIU has a fiercely proud alumni base of well over 240,000 and boasts accomplished careers in a diverse array of fields and professions. They primarily reside in the northern Illinois region, creating dynamic professional networks for NIU students and faculty, and providing economic vitality to the region and state. Proximity to Chicago and its suburbs make NIU a diverse community that celebrates the lived experiences each student, faculty and staff bring to campus and the learning environment. Huskies value the ideas and insights every person has to offer, and we discover our commonalities by embracing and discussing our differences. We grow from challenging one another, and we’re strong because of the way that we support one another. Most importantly, we value a sense of pride
The Division of Enrollment Management, Marketing and Communications (EMMC) seeks an experienced communications strategist and project manager to build and manage communication processes to engage, nurture and move prospective undergraduate students toward enrollment. The position develops, maintains, and adjusts agile digital communications plans to support undergraduate recruitment priorities and initiatives; coordinates the conceptualization, design and production of printed undergraduate recruitment materials; and guides the day-to-day responsibilities of the CRM Communications Associate.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Strategically approach email and SMS communications to prospective and admitted students to ensure that the audience is receiving relevant and timely messaging about NIU.
- Regularly measure, analyze and report on the effectiveness of CRM and SMS communications.
- Conduct regular benchmarking and surveys to ensure that NIU’s communications look professional, support the brand and engage the user, and that assets and design elements are used consistently across the CRM.
- Review, develop/update and execute the Division’s annual CRM communications plans for various admission audiences, including freshmen, transfer, admitted students, parent and families, school counselors and other stakeholders to drive event attendance, inquiries, applications and enrollment.
- Oversee quality testing processes for CRM emails and assume responsibility for assuring that all emails are free of error and work across all platforms.
- Manage production of printed recruitment pieces from concept to delivery, keeping the project on time and on budget from content generation through the design process and subsequent review and revisions, as well as soliciting quotes from printers, determining size, paper, quantity, and cost of production of postage.
- Track spending on print publications and postage to stay within budget.
- Coordinate with internal stakeholders and partners on print and digital project requirements, delivery of assets and production timelines.
- Generate and distribute post-deployment metrics to EMMC leadership and other relevant stakeholders.
- Proactively review requested email deployments for scheduling issues, content suitability and brand alignment and work with campaign stakeholders to address any issues.
Minimum Required Qualifications (Civil Service)
CREDENTIALS TO BE VERIFIED BY PLACEMENT OFFICER
1. Bachelor’s degree in marketing, business administration, communications, public relations or a related field.
2. One (1) year (12 months) of professional experience working in the advertising, promotions, public relations, communications, journalism, or a related field.
3. Based on position requirements, additional education, training and/or work experience in the area of specialization inherent to the position, may be required.
*Note Master’s Degree in an area consistent with the duties of the position may be substituted for one (1) year (12 months) of work experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs)
1. Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
2. Knowledge of recruitment practices.
3. Knowledge of social media analytics, social media publishing tools, web analytics, and tracking technologies.
4. Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
5. Knowledge of media production, including social media platforms and efficiency of use, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods.
6. Knowledge of Microsoft Office, presentation software, spreadsheet software, video creation and editing software, web page creation and editing software, and analytical or scientific software.
7. Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems.
8. Skill in producing live social media coverage.
9. Skill in verbal and written communication.
10. Skill in identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
11. Skill in time management, organizing work assignments, and responding quickly and effectively to challenges.
12. Ability to develop and execute marketing, and strategic communications plans to effect outcomes.
Specialty Factors (Civil Service)
Preferred Qualifications (Civil Service)
- Prior experience executing email campaigns for students at every stage of the recruitment process (prospect, inquiry, applicant, accept, yield and melt) using a CRM.
- Significant experience with project collaboration and management software, like Basecamp.
- Understanding of basic HTML for email formatting.
- Strong planning, organization and time management skills and attention to detail.
- Vendor management and supervisory skills.
- The role will have flexibility regarding working remotely and on-campus.