Search for University Jobs in Senior Administration
Assistant Vice President of Enrollment Services and Director of Admissions - 4163
Northern Illinois University
The AVP/Director leads a team charged with broadly communicating NIU’s academic strengths and unique culture to prospective students, their families, high school counselors, and others, and above all, with recruiting a diverse and extraordinarily talented class of highly motivated students who will contribute to campus life and will make a difference in the world as local and global leaders. In addition, the AVP/Director is responsible for ensuring that NIU effectively utilizes emerging technologies and other tools to ensure that NIU both reaches the broadest array of applicants and processes applications in an efficient and expeditious manner.
Duties and Responsibilities (generally)
Fully committed to the success of students, the AVP/Director will be an experienced, skilled, and student-centered leader with significant experience and expertise in current and emerging enrollment and higher education trends and best practices. The AVP/Director will not only display exceptional administrative, managerial, and financial acumen within the context of a large, complex organization but will also reflect decisions and behaviors rooted in the advancement of access, equity, diversity, and inclusion. In addition, the ideal candidate will possess the following professional qualifications and personal characteristics:
- Student centeredness: Commitment to the student populations that NIU serves as well as the willingness to always put students first; genuine interest in engaging with students and serving as an advocate for student interests.
- Support for student success: Understanding of student needs, interests, and challenges in order to support recruitment and admission practices.
- Budget and resource management: Effective financial and organizational management experience; resource allocation experience and the ability to address fiscal constraints collaboratively and creatively.
- Ability to establish collaborative partnerships: Proven skill in fostering collaborative, consultative, and meaningful partnerships between enrollment services and university constituents.
- Commitment to diversity and inclusion: Demonstrated commitment to addressing issues of social justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion within a diverse student population as well as with a range of professional staff, faculty, families, senior administrative colleagues, other university constituents, and external organizations.
- Knowledge of the higher education landscape: Ability to formulate and shape strategic focus, thinking, and planning within the broader context of the state and national higher education landscape.
- Change management: Achievement in fostering change management, process improvement, and the development and implementation of data-informed, effective, and efficient policies and processes.
- Staff leadership and management: A clear commitment to the mentoring of a diverse and talented staff and investment in their ongoing professional development.
Minimum Required Qualifications for this position
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Proven record of success in recruitment along with at least 5 years of significant progressive responsibility in college recruitment and admissions, or closely related enrollment management area.
- Three years of supervisory experience of a diverse staff, including hiring, evaluation, supervision, motivation, and training of professional staff, graduate students, and undergraduate students.
- Working knowledge of the admission process, including recruitment/yield strategies, territory management, customer relationship management (CRM) software, admission cycle, and application processing.
- Demonstrated commitment and success recruiting students from diverse and traditionally underrepresented backgrounds which includes, but is not limited to, students of color, undocumented students, first-generation college students and students from marginalized gender identities.
- Superior communication, organizational, and interpersonal skills, including the ability to serve as an articulate spokesperson for the mission, values and goals of the institution.
- Ability to establish collegial relationships with diverse students, staff, faculty, administrators, and the community.
- Demonstrated experience in facilitating organizational development and change.
- Competency for analyzing related data and assessing programming activities as part of strategic enrollment planning.
- Possess the following skills and attributes: proven leadership skills; ability to handle multiple projects and processes simultaneously; strong attention to detail; student-oriented attitude; professionalism; strong work ethic; ability to work at a fast pace; adaptability; strong problem solving skills; and willingness to continually learn and improve.
- Experience with budget development and management.
- Valid driver’s license and successful criminal history background check.
Specialty Factors (Additional Required Qualifications)
Education and Experience Preferred
- Master’s degree in Higher Education Administration, Communications, Marketing, Business, or closely related field.
- Demonstrated experience working with Slate (CRM), PeopleSoft and OnBase software platforms.
- Demonstrated experience developing and executing holistic review admission processes.
- Demonstrated understanding of innovative uses of technology and media in recruitment and admission processes.
- Demonstrated understanding of best practices in marketing/communicating to unique student populations and other student influencers.
- Demonstrated experience with successful recruitment practices in Illinois and the greater Chicago area.
- Demonstrated experience with successful practices recruiting non-resident students.
List the knowledge, skills, and abilities critical to the performance of this position.
Personal qualities: Imagination and creativity; willingness to be open, engaging, and transparent; highest ethical values and principles in personal and professional endeavors; highly refined active listening and effective communication skills; and capacity for effective conflict resolution and mediation.
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |