Missouri State University invites applications for an innovative, energetic, and dynamic visionary leader to serve as its next Director of the School of Accountancy. Reporting to the Dean of the College of Business, the Director is responsible for setting the strategic, operational, and financial direction for the School of Accountancy.
The Director of the School of Accountancy is responsible for administering an academic department within a college which may include and is not limited to, faculty recruitment and development, faculty evaluation, program development, program review, curriculum development, student advisement, departmental budgeting and budget
control, class schedule planning, and general supervision of the teaching, research, and service and related scholarly activities of the department.
- An earned doctorate in accounting from an AACSB-accredited institution or a J.D. from an ABA-accredited law school with appropriate academic preparation in taxation (e.g., LLM.-Taxation, M. Taxation)
- Knowledge of AACSB supplemental accounting accreditation requirements and procedures
- An established record of scholarly research, teaching, and service as appropriate for appointment as a tenured Associate or Full Professor
- Excellent communication skills
- Evidence of the ability to successfully interact with industry
- Demonstrated leadership and collegiality
- A demonstrated commitment to promoting a diverse environment is required
- CPA certificate is strongly preferred
School of Accountancy
- Lead the SOA’s supplemental AACSB accounting re-accreditation efforts (successful reaccreditation in 2018)
- Recruit, develop, and evaluate faculty
- Develop, review, and update academic programs and curriculum
- Coordinate with the Business Advisement Center and COB Graduate Programs Office to facilitate recruitment and advisement of students
- Counsel students regarding careers and academic programs
- Develop and manage the SOA budget
- Create the class schedule for each semester
- Teach courses and conduct research to maintain personal faculty qualification per AACSB guidelines
- Supervise the administrative functions of the SOA
- Promote a collegial environment
- Supervise the teaching, research, service and related scholarly activities of the SOA
- Develop and enhance relationships with the SOA Advisory Board, professional associations, and other external constituencies
- Cultivate employer relationships and facilitate placement of graduates
- Promote the development of competitive online programs
The School of Accountancy has 15 full-time faculty and over 600 undergraduate and graduate accounting students. The School offers a BS in Accounting and Master of Accountancy (MAcc), and delivers courses in both traditional and executive MBA and MHA programs. The highly qualified and collegial faculty have forged strong relationships with industry as demonstrated by an annual Accounting Career Fair, which attracts 30+ firms.
College of Business
The College of Business (COB), with over 5,500 students, is one of the largest business programs in the Midwest. The college includes four departments: Finance and General Business, Management and Information Technology, Marketing and the School of Accountancy in the business unit, as well as two separately-accredited departments: Merchandising and Fashion Design, and Technology and Construction Management. The College’s business and accounting programs are both accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB).
About Missouri State University
Missouri State University (MSU) is a public, comprehensive university system with a mission in public affairs. Located in Springfield, Missouri, MSU enrolls just over 24,000 students in the arts, business, engineering, healthcare, humanities, social sciences, and natural and physical sciences. Our purpose is to develop fully educated persons with a focus on ethical leadership, cultural competence and community engagement. For more information about MSU, visit www.missouristate.edu.
Living in Springfield, Missouri
Springfield is a thriving community with a metro population of over 450,000. It is a growing business center and a city known for college life - but it is so much more than a college town. It is an optimistic, developing city with a diversified economy, located in an area known for outstanding recreational opportunities. https://www.liveinspringfieldmo.com/
Application and Nomination Process
Applications should include:
Submit all applications electronically to https://jobs.missouristate.edu/postings/40247
- A cover letter outlining the applicant’s background, interest, and qualifications
- Curriculum vita with contact information for at least three professional references
- Statement of Vision of Leadership
- Unofficial transcripts for all degrees achieved
A review of applications will begin February 11, 2019 and continue until the position is filled.
References will not be contacted without prior approval of the applicant.
Nominations and confidential inquiries may be directed to Valerie Woodruff at Valerie@academickeys.com or
Missouri State University is a community of people with respect for diversity. The University emphasizes the dignity and equality common to all persons and adheres to a strict nondiscrimination policy regarding the treatment of individual faculty, staff, and students. In accord with federal law and applicable Missouri statutes, the University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin (including ancestry, or any other subcategory of national origin recognized by applicable law), religion, sex (including marital status, family status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other subcategory of sex recognized by applicable law), age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law in employment or in any program or activity offered or sponsored by the University. Sex discrimination encompasses sexual harassment, which includes sexual violence, and is strictly prohibited by Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972.
This policy shall not be interpreted in a manner as to violate the legal rights of religious organizations or military organizations associated with the Armed Forces of the United States of America.
The University maintains a grievance procedure incorporating due process available to any person who believes he or she has been discriminated against. Missouri State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Minority/Female/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity employer. Inquiries concerning the complaint/grievance procedure related to sex discrimination, including sexual harassment and sexual assault, should be addressed to the Title IX Coordinator, Carrington Hall 205, 901 S. National Ave., Springfield, Missouri 65897, TitleIX@missouristate.edu, 417-836-8506, or to the Office for Civil Rights. All other inquiries concerning the grievance procedure, Affirmative Action Plan, or compliance with federal and state laws and guidelines should be addressed to the Equal Opportunity Officer, Office for Institutional Equity and Compliance, Park Central Office Building, Suite 111, Springfield, Missouri 65897, firstname.lastname@example.org, 417-836-4252, or to the Office for Civil Rights. (Res. Board Policies No. 70-11; Bd. Min. 10-28-11.)