Assistant Director, Government and Economic Development Institute
Job Description Summary
The Government and Economic Development Institute (GEDI) at Auburn University seeks applications for the non-tenure track faculty position of Assistant Director. GEDI is a unit within the Division of University Outreach at Auburn University. The Institute’s mission is to “promote effective government policy and management, civic and community engagement, economic prosperity, and improved quality of life for the State of Alabama and its communities.” GEDI provides education, training, and certification programs for civic and elected officials promoting economic development leadership and practice, municipal and county management.
Under the direction of the Director, the individual in this position provides leadership and support of the Institute’s Training and Educational programs and staff, in cooperation with state and professional associations and organizations. The position supervises other employees, including training, evaluating, and recommending pay, promotion, or other employment decisions. Specific duties include:
· Represents GEDI and serves as the primary point of contact for the development and implementation of outreach programs for governmental and association educational boards and clients.
· Supervises and develops staff engaged in the training, education, and delivery of outreach programs and initiatives.
· Creates, assists, and implements new training and educational outreach programs to generate revenues while minimizing expenses.
· Assists in tracking projects through the phases of identification, requirements/scope development, estimating/budgeting, planning and implementation.
· Generates reports and maintains databases for the department to provide to associations, individuals, and outreach staff.
· Assists in departmental strategic and operational planning and execution of programs.
· Other duties as assigned by the Director.
It is anticipated that a review of applications will begin in April 21, 2023 with an anticipated starting date on or before June 30, 2023. Salary will be commensurate with experience.
· Master’s degree from an accredited institution in Public Administration, Political Science, Business Administration, Economics, Higher Education Administration, or a related field at time of employment.
· Understanding of outreach at a comprehensive land-grant university.
· Experience developing and instructing outreach programs.
· Management experience in the public sector, university administration or related filed
· Strong organizational and management skills related to project planning, development, and administration.
· Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
· Experience supervising other employees.
· Leadership skills and the ability to work with diverse audiences.
The successful candidate must meet eligibility requirements for work in the United States at the time the appointment is scheduled to begin and continue working legally for the term of employment.