Associate Director of Innovation & Partnership Development (36404)
College of Business
Northern Illinois University
With approximately 16,000 students, Northern Illinois University (NIU) is one of the largest public universities in the state of Illinois. NIU strives to improve outcomes for all students by identifying and removing barriers that disproportionately hinder the academic achievement and student experience of historically and currently underserved populations.
The AACSB-accredited College of Business provides a highly engaged learning experience for approximately 2,000 undergraduates and 900 graduate students and is deeply committed to building and sustaining an inclusive and equitable working and learning environment for all of our students, staff, and faculty.
Northern Illinois University’s College of Business is seeking a dynamic, articulate, and energetic manager to fill the role of Associate Director of Innovation & Partnership Development. The Associate Director will collaborate with internal and external stakeholders to assist in the development and execution of mission-relevant business strategies and foster partnerships to advance College of Business initiatives, with the initial focus on the promotion, growth, and management of the DeLaVega Innovation Lab.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The Associate Director will be responsible managing mission-relevant business strategies and fostering partnerships to advance the College’s initiatives related to innovation and entrepreneurship. Initial focus on the promotion, growth, and management of the DeLaVega Innovation Lab. This will include:
- Developing programming that promotes accelerated innovation to market for student, faculty, and community initiatives.
- Collaborating with college and university marketing teams to create communication and marketing campaigns that promote the college’s innovative programming and successes
- Engaging faculty, staff, students, and community partners through direct interactions, lectures, workshops, and digital media.
- Supporting the cultivation of partnerships that increase knowledge transfer networks and create sustainable funding streams in support of strategic goals.
- Working with college leadership to ensure fiscal accountability for innovation programming and lab operations.
- Managing operations of College of Business experiential labs. May include oversight of graduate assistants and facility schedules.
- Assisting users on how to use lab technology like 3D printer, cricut, etc.
Minimum Required Qualifications (Civil Service)
CREDENTIALS TO BE VERIFIED BY PLACEMENT OFFICER
1. Bachelor’s degree.
2. A total of one (1) year (12 months) in education, training and/or work experience in the area of specialization inherent to the position*.
3. Based on position requirements, additional education, training and/or work experience in the area of specialization inherent to the position, may be required.
*Note: Master’s Degree in an area consistent with the duties of the position may be substituted for one (1 year) of work experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs)
1. Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
2. Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
3. Skill in analyzing information and evaluating results to choose the best solution and solve problems.
4. Skill in scheduling events, programs, and activities, as well as the work of others.
5. Skill in oral and written communication.
6. Ability to adjust actions in relation to others’ actions.
7. Ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
8. Ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense.
9. Ability to develop specific goals, plans to prioritize, organize, and accomplish tasks.
10. Ability to work effectively with staff, the public, and outside constituency groups.
11. Ability to effectively plan, delegate, and supervise the work of others.
12. Ability to utilize various computer software packages, such as Accounting Software, query, etc.
13. Ability to work independently and exercise judgment in order to be able to analyze and investigate a variety of questions or problems.
14. Ability to analyze and develop guidelines, procedures, and systems.
Specialty Factors (Civil Service)
Preferred Qualifications (Civil Service)
- Certificate in project management, scrum master, agility or similar preferred
- Experience with technology like 3D printers/cricut or similar preferred
- Experience working with students or with educational programming preferred.