Search for University Jobs in Senior Administration
Facilities Manager (5194U) - 44774
University of California, Berkeley
Facilities Manager (5194U) - 44774
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles, our Principles of Community, and our Strategic Plan.
At UC Berkeley, we believe that learning is a fundamental part of working, and our goal is for everyone on the Berkeley campus to feel supported and equipped to realize their full potential. We actively support this by providing all of our staff employees with at least 80 hours (10 days) of paid time per year to engage in professional development activities. To find out more about how you can grow your career at UC Berkeley, visit grow.berkeley.edu.
The School of Education is a complex academic unit whose mission is to provide leadership in advancing the theoretical base of education, analyze the complex social environments of education, and promote the improvement of educational practice. A central mission of the School of Education is to improve teaching and learning for all students in our schools by preparing exemplary teachers, administrators and school psychologists in exemplary professional preparation programs. The School's credential programs emphasize working with diverse students in urban settings and provide an innovative approach to professional preparation relevant to the age and grade level of the credential sought. BSE programs combine the credential with the master's degree, so that our students have thorough grounding in educational theory, research, and practice to meet the challenge of working with all types of students. The school employs approximately 400 staff, faculty, students, and researchers, and enrolls about 350 students per year.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: 11/09/2022.
- Works with management to coordinate and manage capital improvement projects with Capital Projects and actively participates on committees and/or meetings concerning capital improvements to departmental facilities.
- Works with onsite contractors and other vendors to coordinate work schedules, facilitate emergency access, and track progress of work.
- Serves as the communication liaison between organization service agencies and building occupants, and prepares building response plans and coordinates education and planning in this area for all building occupants.
- Conducts regular periodic rounds to inspect areas for security, fire and accident hazards and takes appropriate action as required, including reporting infractions of fire and building codes, building rules and other building irregularities to management.
- Assists management in development of annual facilities budget.
- May serve as "Department Access & Key Controller" as defined by the UCPD Access Control Policy, maintaining accurate records of all access control activities, ensuring appropriate authority prior to issuing keys, ordering replacement keys as needed, recovering department keys from departing personnel, reporting any failure to recover access control keys to department management and UCPD, and securely storing unassigned keys in the department's UCPD-approved cabinets.
- Acts as department equipment custodian through the equipment tracking system(s) and conducts department inventory controls, including processing and maintaining records of equipment insurance requests.
- Coordinates maintenance and repair of departmental fleet vehicles and equipment.
- Purchases supplies, conducts bid proposals and supervises small-scale department renovation projects.
- Reviews facility project drawings or plans and reports building need compliance, errors or omissions to management, organization personnel, and outside contractors.
- Acts as a representative of the BSE space committee, Berkeley Way Facilities Team, organization ergonomic program, and is responsible for departmental compliance with OSHA / EH&S regulations regarding state and organization policies and procedures, and works to implement safety and emergency preparedness policies and procedures with staff, including maintaining first aid supplies, fire extinguishers and other safety equipment.
- Ensures succession planning and job growth through professional development including campus management training programs, teaming with experienced facilities managers, and training support staff.
- Coordinates and carries out department signage, display, and promotional needs for events and general maintenance.
- Working knowledge of practices and procedures relating to facility maintenance.
- Written communication skills to prepare a variety of correspondence, reports, policies and procedures, and training documents.
- Skills to work under pressure of deadlines in a stressful environment.
- Active listening, interpersonal communication and problem-solving skills to effectively resolve questions, concerns, issues or problems and ensure cooperative and productive working relationships.
- Skills to work independently and as part of a team.
- Working organizational skills to work on multiple projects with competing deadlines, to establish goals and work load priorities, and to meet project deadlines within budget and time constraints.
- Working knowledge of practices and procedures of safety and emergency preparedness.
- Ability to use discretion, confidentiality, sound judgment in responding to issues and concerns.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
- Working knowledge of common campus-specific and other computer application programs. Box, Microsoft office, google docs, Bcal, Maximo, BearBuy, Excel.
Salary & Benefits
This is a permanent, full-time position eligible for full UC Benefits. Salary will be commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit: https://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/index.html
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment in the Resume section of your application.
Referral Source info
This job is part of the Employee Referral Program. If a UC Berkeley employee is referring you, please ensure you select the Referral Source of "UCB Employee" and then enter the employee's Name and Berkeley email address in the Specific Referral Source field. Please enter only one name and email.
This is not a visa opportunity.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=44774&PostingSeq=1
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |