The Department of International Studies in the College of Arts and Sciences at American University of Sharjah invites experienced candidates to apply for the Head of Department (HOD) position.
- A PhD in political science, history, anthropology, philosophy, sociology or psychology.
- A current rank of professor or associate professor.
- Experience with North American liberal arts education.
- Demonstrated leadership experience, preferably in chairing a department of international studies, political science, history, anthropology, philosophy, sociology or psychology.
- A consistent record of excellent teaching, research and service.
- Experience in program accreditation and curriculum development.
- Experience in faculty evaluation and mentoring.
- Experience in promoting interdisciplinarity.
The Department of International Studies at American University of Sharjah currently has 23 full-time faculty members who are active in research in six academic disciplines (political science, history, anthropology, philosophy, psychology and sociology). The department offers well-subscribed Bachelor of Arts degrees in both international studies and psychology. The department also offers a number of discipline-specific and interdisciplinary minors and is one of the main providers of the general education courses. It is a dynamic and collegial department with a steadily growing number of students and active and motivated student organizations. More information about the department may be found at www.aus.edu/department-of-international-studies.
The Head of Department promotes an environment that supports faculty members and students in their efforts to succeed. In carrying out the responsibilities, the Head of Department engages in collaborative leadership with the faculty according to the AUS shared governance model of academic administration.
American University of Sharjah is a not-for-profit, independent, coeducational institution of higher education formed on American models but thoroughly grounded in Arab culture. Located in University City, Sharjah, United Arab Emirates (about 15 km from Dubai), AUS offers undergraduate and graduate degree programs to over 5,000 students from more than 90 nationalities with almost an 50:50 ratio of male and female students. English is the language of instruction.
American University of Sharjah is licensed and its programs are accredited by the Commission for Academic Accreditation of the Ministry of Education in the United Arab Emirates. AUS has been accredited in the United States of America by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education (3624 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA, Tel +1 215 662 5606) since June 2004.
Interested candidates should fill out an online application form using the portal https://acg-apps1.aus.edu/cas/empapp/apply.php?p=INT-DH-19-01 and upload the following files (combined into a single PDF file):
- Letter of interest in the position highlighting experience and accomplishments of relevance.
- Current curriculum vitae including the names and contact information of at least three references.
- A statement of administrative philosophy.
- A statement of teaching philosophy.
- A statement of research philosophy.
To ensure full consideration, applications must be received before January 10, 2020. Review of completed applications will begin immediately after and will continue until the position is filled. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for initial Skype-based interviews.
The selected candidate is expected to assume duties in mid-August 2020.