School of Dentistry
Faculty Position FA1550
Executive Associate Dean for Finance
The Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU) School of Dentistry is seeking applicants for a full-time faculty position to serve as the Executive Associate Dean for Finance. The primary purpose of this position is to support the missions and goals of the School, with responsibility for the School’s financial management, budgeting and administration. The position will provide financial leadership for academic programs, research development, university and professional service, and patient care. The Executive Associate Dean for Finance will collaborate with leadership, serving strategically, with deep integrity and an ability to be forward thinking. The position reports to the Dean of the VCU School of Dentistry, VCU Dental Care Board of Directors and builds relations with colleagues in the School and across the University. The School reports to the Senior Vice President for Health Sciences at VCU.
Primary administrative responsibilities for the positon include; management and leadership of the school’s finances, budgeting and month-end close processes; responsibility for clinical finance and revenue cycle internal controls; ensuring timely and accurate administration and financial reporting; and the direction and supervision of staff. Teaching, research, clinical duties and service assignments will be negotiated based on the candidate’s qualifications.
Candidates will have a broad set of accounting and clinical finance skills, and should embody the following qualifications and attributes:
* Master’s degree in business administration or accounting/ finance, with a proven track record of successful leadership of accounting functions, clinical finance practices and support of academic, clinical and research missions.
* Extensive accounting experience directing month-end close processes, accrual accounting and year-end accounting closes.
* Considerable clinical finance experience, including oversight for the revenue cycle of a school or corporation including patient clinical support staff, billing staff, accounts receivable management and collections. Experience with student clinic and dental faculty practice plans and fund flows.
* Significant experience supporting payer contracting, negotiations of fees and payer contractual terms.
* Strong ability to build and deliver financial models and lead School’s/Corporation’s annual and long-term budgeting cycles. Ability to support multi-year planning and complex resource allocation methodologies. Proven ability to complete academic portfolio analysis, such as program revenues/ costs and credit hour analysis.
* Strong business acumen, with analytical ability to model and scenario plan, conduct trend analysis, and support complex challenges and strategic growth.
* Prior experience with research administration, start-up funding, and commitment tracking.
* Knowledge of academic and student affairs workflows, dental student recruitment, admissions and support. Experience with student dental clinics and their challenges.
* Experience supporting internal dental specialty clinics, and clinical service agreements with external parties.
* Ability to represent the school effectively and build relations with the VCU
Health Systems, Campus Finance, internal and external constituents, to be an advocate for the School and a liaison to external stakeholders.
* Strong written and verbal communication skills and critical thinking skills
* Ability to manage multiple projects and priorities, project plan large initiatives, mitigate risk and identify internal control and other risks.
* A high level of professionalism and demonstrated commitment to supporting the development and training of staff.
* Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment of learning or commitment to do so as a faculty member at VCU
Preferred qualifications include
* Experience with a patient electronic record system (electronic health record), including financial controls integral to the system, such as rate tables, payer setup, billing and clinical reporting. Knowledge of user roles and segregation of duties in clinical financial settings preferred.
* Prior experience working in a public university setting, preferably in a dental school financial leadership position.
* Knowledge of university General Ledger systems with an ability to use financial reporting tools.
* Knowledge of state funds flows and budgeting processes, and state and federal compliance policies.
* Experience with accrual accounting methods, Axium Dental Software, Responsibility Center Management (RCM) budget models, Ryan White and Medicaid funding.
Candidates must apply to this faculty position, FA1550, through the university’s career website at https://www.vcujobs.com to be considered for this position. Submit cover letter, diversity statement, CV and three references; include names, email addresses and phone numbers for the references.
Applications received by September 3, 2021 will be considered first. However, application reviews and interviews will continue until the position is filled.
For further information about this position, contact Dr. Mary T. Pettiette, Search Committee Chair, VCU School of Dentistry at firstname.lastname@example.org.
VCU is an urban, research-intensive institution with a richly diverse university community and commitment to multicultural opportunities. Virginia Commonwealth University is an equal opportunity, Affirmative Action University, providing access to education and employment without regard to age, race, color, national origin, gender, religion, sexual orientation, veteran’s status, political affiliation or disability.
As a preeminent national, urban, public research university and academic health center, Virginia Commonwealth University is committed to organizational diversity, equity and inclusion – an environment where all can thrive in their pursuit of excellence.
Applicants are requested to submit a Statement of Contributions to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (typically between 150-300 words) providing your career aspirations and contributions toward promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Through this statement, you can share how your lived experiences; and past, present, and future academic and professional activities have or will contribute to VCU’s mission of promoting equity and inclusion.
Note: Examples include working with others to further the goals of equity and inclusion; leading in any capacity that tangibly promotes an environment where diversity is welcomed, fostered, and celebrated; creative activity, research and scholarship that promotes equity and parity; teaching and mentoring students, and/or engaging with faculty and/or staff from traditionally underrepresented groups to create a positive and successful organizational experience.