As leader of the College, the Executive Dean will aid the success of the academic personnel and administrative staff by developing a talent strategy to recruit, retain, develop, and promote performance and excellence at the department, College and University levels. The Executive Dean is responsible for ensuring full compliance to all appropriate laws, regulations, policies and accreditor standards that apply to the College, its members and the university, engaging in risk mitigation as appropriate.
As financial steward of the College, the Executive Dean is responsible for an annual budget of $98 million. The Executive Dean will develop, implement and monitor a five-year financial plan and annual budget for the College and its departments that supports the vision, mission and goals of the College in alignment with the vision, mission and goals of the campus and university. The Executive Dean will develop, execute and monitor facilities and space utilization plans for the College and its departments. This individual will provide leadership with regular communication about the fiscal condition, priorities and initiatives of the College, providing transparency and clarity to faculty, staff, administration and community members, and addressing challenges that might impact employee morale, donor concerns and accreditation standards. This leader will work in close partnership with https://kuendowment.org/HomeKU Endowment and KU Alumni Association to secure gifts and fiscal resources that support world-class research and discovery, innovative and engaging academic programs that lead to student success. Currently, the College is supported by annual fund-raising revenue of approximately $7 million and benefits from a dedicated endowment of $231 million.
The Executive Dean will connect with colleagues who serve as Deans, Vice Provosts, Vice Chancellors, and other executive leaders in stewardship of KU, and in support of the https://jayhawksrising.ku.edu/Jayhawks Rising strategic plan. The Executive Dean works closely with the Vice Chancellor for Research to plan, implement and monitor initiatives that strategically support research and discovery, consistent with the status of KU as a public flagship and research-intensive AAU institution. The Executive Dean will engage with Vice Provosts and directors who are responsible for KU’s administrative and academic administrative functions, such as finance, human resources, facilities, data, IT, academic success, student affairs, enrollment management, international affairs, Jayhawk Global and more. The Executive Dean engages other members of the Chancellor’s cabinet as fitting to address communications, government relations, economic development initiatives and matters related to Title IX, Civil Rights, and other legal and compliance matters.
The Executive Dean also will partner with the Deans of the professional schools to foster and support the academic programming at KU; lead planning, execute and innovate interdisciplinary programs at KU; and design, implement and monitor new initiatives that support Jayhawks Rising.
The Executive Dean works with key administrators, faculty and staff to lead administrative support units and the four academic divisions. The chairs of each of the academic departments currently report through the Associate Deans of the College to the Executive Dean, a structure intended to support timely decision-making and effective service to the entire College by the leadership team. The Executive Dean may choose to evaluate and strengthen the structure of the leadership team to both serve the College and enable the Executive Dean to address internal and external priorities.
The Executive Dean is responsible for ensuring equity and excellence in research, discovery and creative activity; educational programs; and service that emanates from the College. The Executive Dean models and advocates for behavior that fosters an environment that celebrates diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging for all members of the College. The Executive Dean also fosters a culture within the College to achieve KU’s vision.
The Executive Dean engages constantly, informally and formally, with constituents and stakeholders to seek input and perspectives on the performance of the College and to identify new opportunities to advance the mission of the College to educate, discover and serve.
Responsibilities and duties:
In addition to internally focused work, the Executive Dean maintains relationships and engages in meaningful activities at the local, regional, state, national and international levels with alumni, donors and advocates of the College. This individual also interacts with peer AAU institutions and related disciplinary organizations to advance dialogue, innovation, and sustain a vibrant community dedicated to growth, learning and service.
The duties of the Executive Dean include:
- Shape the College to be successful in the changing environment of higher education, utilizing data, metrics and analytics to inform decisions.
- Recruit, organize and direct an effective staff of associate deans, administrative directors and department chairs who assist in advancing the accomplishments of the College.
- Facilitate the recruitment, development and success of an outstanding and diverse faculty and staff, managing and setting performance measures and expectations.
- Lead and demonstrate values promoting diversity, equity and inclusion; creating a climate where people have safe spaces to listen, reflect and be heard; creating a sense of belonging.
- Assist recruitment of outstanding and diverse populations of undergraduate and graduate students.
- Conduct planning, visioning and succession shaping activities to ensure programmatic success.
- Encourage effective interactions between academic programs in the College and those offered by the professional schools.
- Enhance research programs and artistic and scholarly work within the College by garnering internal and external support and facilitating the work of faculty in obtaining research funding for both focused and interdisciplinary research.
- Provide leadership in maintaining the rigor and quality of educational and research programs for students and postdoctoral scholars.
- Invigorate and maintain a climate in which highly engaging classroom experiences are expected, encouraged and rewarded.
- Foster academic excellence in all programs and explore innovative approaches to the liberal arts and sciences for majors, in general education and in student services.
- Lead philanthropic activities and alumni relations.
- Promote and encourage international education and engagement through research exchanges, collaborations, study abroad, and support of international students and faculty.
- Foster effective relationships among College academic programs.
- Formulate, manage and monitor the budget of the College.
- Be a respected and strong advocate for the role of the liberal arts and sciences in the formulation of institutional and public policy.
- Increase awareness of the academic and research missions of the College’s faculty and students among Kansans.