Director of Budget
: Staff - Full-Time
Now is the right time to join the Wolverine Pack! Utah Valley University, ranks in the top 10 America's Best Employers by State in the state of Utah.
UVU is seeking a Director of Budget who will have the opportunity to lead UVU's Budget Office including all tasks associated with the development, preparation, implementation, presentation, analysis, and reporting of the university's annual operating budget. This leader serves a primary role in the planning, development, communication, implementation, and operation of UVU's annual Planning, Budgeting, and Assessment (PBA) process. This position works collaboratively with leaders and finance staff across campus to provide decision-making support; to facilitate resource planning, prioritization, and management; and to ensure the university's budget is fiscally sound to support sustainable achievement of the university's mission. This leader reports to and works closely with the Vice President for Planning, Budget and Human Resources.
Key Roles & Responsibilities
1. Leads the development, preparation, implementation, presentation, communication, and reporting of the university's annual operating budget for state appropriated funds and other key university funds; plans, projects, and monitors revenues including tuition, tax funds, and institutional interest income; develops recommendations to senior leaders to support financial planning and ensure prudent use of financial resources in compliance with statutes and Regents policy; collaborates closely with Human Resources on position management, annual salary and benefits changes, and compensation funding; coordinates with Finance and Business Services on revenue and expenditure budget management, monitoring, and reporting; implements budget revisions and oversees the budget transfer process.
2. In collaboration with Cabinet and senior leaders and in compliance with USHE guidance, develops and prepares UVU's annual operating budget request to the Office of the Commissioner of Higher Education (OCHE); prepares budget request narratives and data to support UVU's legislative relation efforts; prepares for and participates in UVU's budget presentations to Regents, Governor's staff, and legislative staff and committees; contributes information for fiscal notes on bills; monitors legislative budget actions and provides updates to senior leaders; develops tuition increase scenarios and prepares for and participates in UVU's annual truth-in-tuition hearing; prepares UVU's tuition and fee schedules for publication and implementation.
3. Serves a primary role in the planning, development, communication, implementation, and operation of UVU's annual Planning, Budgeting, and Assessment (PBA) process; works closely with IT/BI to automate PBA budget requests and provide decision-makers with reports and information; supports resource allocation accountability reporting; designs and develops budgetary guidelines, timelines, and practices; provides PBA training; gathers feedback on PBA process and, working with Institutional Effectiveness, implements changes to the PBA process.
4. Prepares, coordinates, researches, and analyzes complex, cross-functional budgetary reports, charts/graphs, and projects required by UVU leadership, Trustees, Regents, Governor's Office, and Legislature including compensation, revenues, tuition, fees, tuition waivers, cost studies, carryforward, contingencies, O&M, and benefits; develops and maintains budget databases and gathers data to inform decision-making; provides guidance, information, and assistance to departments in a timely manner to support informed decision making; prepares financial information for new programs and three-year program reviews; assures UVU's budget reports to OCHE are submitted accurately and on time.
5. Hires, supervises, and trains Budget Office staff to perform complex budgeting tasks, provide excellent service, and communicate processes, practices, and information clearly.
6. Participates on university committees including Benefits Committee, Scholarship Committee, Course Fee Committee, and General Student Fees Committee; communicates processes, practices, and information with financial managers and leaders; proactively builds positive relationships with faculty, staff, administrators, and students; serves on USHE's Budget Officer System Subcommittee; develops and maintains positive relationships with OCHE staff and fiscal analysts; perform other job related duties as assigned.
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelors degree in accounting or a closely-related field and at least three years of professional work experience in a related field OR an equivalent combination of education and/or professional work experience in a closely related field.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Demonstrated knowledge of financial and budget data collection, management, analysis, and reporting
Demonstrated knowledge of budgeting, fund accounting, fiscal management, and methods of control
Knowledge of principles and practices of business management and/or government/non-profit organization management.
Knowledge of methods and techniques of financial and statistical research and analysis with strong data literacy
Knowledge of strategic planning, accountability, and assessment practices, methods, and processes.
Demonstrated skill in financial and budget planning, management, reporting, and analysis.
Strong negotiation skills to formulate processes and practices collaboratively with leaders, colleagues, and team members
Excellent verbal and written communication skills including effectively conveying complex information simply to individuals and groups
Demonstrated strong skills in Excel and presentation software
Demonstrated ability to interpret and apply federal, state, and/or university regulations and policies governing budget, finance, and accounting practices, processes, and reporting
Demonstrated ability to prepare complex budget materials and reports including supporting narratives.
Ability to follow complex written and oral procedures and instructions
Demonstrated ability to advise and influence leaders and effectively contribute subject matter expertise that facilitates informed decision-making
Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, persuasively, and credibly with a wide range of audiences including faculty, staff, administrators, students, and external stakeholders
Ability to problem solve and make informed and timely decisions
Ability to supervise others including effective performance management and employee engagement
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a masters degree in accounting, public administration, or closely-related field.
Related professional work experience in a higher education or government/non-profit organization utilizing fund accounting
Prior work experience in an organization utilizing BANNER and/or other Enterprise Resource Planning financial and budget system
Most frequently the position will require sitting at a desk and operating a computer.
UVU offers an excellent benefits package which includes a generous leave policy, 12 paid holidays, affordable medical and dental insurance options, life and AD&D insurance, tuition waiver (undergraduate resident) for employee and dependents and substantial employer contribution to a retirement plan.
$79,834 - $99,792
STA186418 Planning/Budgets/EO Staff
Review Start Date:
Open Until Filled:
Special Instructions to Applicant:
Priority consideration will be given to those applicants who apply on or before the Review Start Date." This job advertisement may close at any time after the review date.
Please list a minimum of three business references. References may be contacted at some point during the screening and selection process for a letter of recommendation.
To apply, visit: https://www.uvu.jobs/postings/14547
Employment decisions are made on the basis of an applicants qualifications and ability to perform the job without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age (40 and over), disability, veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth, or pregnancy-related conditions, genetic information, or other bases protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.