Wells College seeks a highly qualified individual to fill the new position of Vice President for Marketing and Communications.
The Vice President for Marketing and Communications will advance Wells College and its strategic plan by building awareness of – and engagement with – Wells’ mission, goals, impact and outcomes. Serving as a key member of the president’s leadership team, the vice president will build relationships with key stakeholders and constituencies within and beyond the college; develop and implement an institutional strategic marketing plan; and set digital and print communication priorities to strengthen the college’s visibility, market position and reputation.
For this role, President Jonathan Gibralter seeks an experienced, self-starting communications leader who is inspired by the college’s rich history, immersive academic program and commitment to student success. Joining other new leaders in the president’s team, the vice president will have the opportunity to build and structure a communications department reflective of the college’s ambitions and programs, including its affiliations with Syracuse and Cornell universities. The vice president and their staff will direct the college’s overall messaging and branding, digital communications, media relations and social media, institutional writing, crisis communications, advertising, and admissions and advancement marketing campaigns.
- Lead the development and implementation of an integrated brand strategy and strategic marketing plan that demonstrably advances the college’s strategic objectives, with particular emphasis on enrollment and development goals
- Work in partnership with departments and colleagues across the college to assess communications needs and opportunities and to support cross-institution consistency of brand and messaging
- Execute vibrant, proactive media relations and social media programs that enhance the college’s visibility and reputation, promoting stories of Wells people, programs and impact
- Lead issues management strategy/crisis response and serve as a key spokesperson for the college as appropriate
- Capture and use data to assess the impact of communications initiatives – including digital and print campaigns, as well as earned and paid media placements – using such data to inform decisions and strategies
OVERSIGHT AND AUTHORITY
- Brand identity and standards; institutional brand awareness
- High-level marketing and advertising
- Digital and print communications, including website
- Admission and advancement marketing and advertising
- Major institutional publications, including college magazine
- Media relations, including executive interviews and op-eds
- Internal communications; events promotion
- Advertising programs, budgets, and metrics
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
A Bachelor’s Degree (advanced degree preferred) with at least 10 years of demonstrated success in:
- Implementing successful, data-informed, results-oriented communications programs across one or more multi-stakeholder organizations
- Leading a cohesive team that consistently meets quality standard and deadlines
- Working under pressure, in a fast-paced environment
- Fostering an inclusive and equitable workplace culture
- Building collaborative, collegial work relationships at all levels of an organization
- Making financial decisions and managing budgets
The successful candidate will be:
- Alert to national and international developments and social issues and their relationship to higher education
- Continually knowledgeable about emerging communications practices and technologies, as well as industry trends
- Invested in the vibrancy of the college’s home community of Aurora, NY, and the upstate New York region
- A generous, insightful colleague and collaborator in senior administrative deliberations
Wells College is a nationally recognized, private four-year Liberal Arts college located in the Finger Lakes region of New York on the unceded lands of the Cayuga Nation. The mission of Wells College is to educate students to think critically, reason wisely, and act humanely as they cultivate meaningful lives. Wells College is the leader in providing immersive academic experiences tailored by each student. Our historic campus in a lakeside setting that is ideally conducive to deep learning is home to over 150 years of evolving, inclusive traditions that bind Wellsians across generations. Recognizing the role of higher education in supporting students from all backgrounds to lead in the future, Wells College actively seeks to diversify its faculty and staff. We strive to embody a culture of belonging that empowers all of our students -- 35% of whom identify as students of color and 32% who are first-generation -- to thrive.
Benefit Information: Wells offers competitive salaries, paid leave (vacation, NY sick leave, personal and holiday), retirement, health insurance dental, vision, life insurance along with dependent tuition benefits.
Wells College affirms that it shall ensure equal employment for all qualified individuals without consideration of their age, sex, race, creed, color, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, political affiliation, or belief. The scope of equal opportunities shall also include the non-discrimination of physically or mentally handicapped individuals.
It is furthermore affirmed that the concept and philosophy of equal opportunities shall also be provided for, but not restricted to, all components of employment, recruitment, selection, assignment, compensation, benefits, promotion, and training.
Review of applications will begin immediately. Interested candidates are to apply online at www.wells.edu/employment and include a letter of application, resume, and a list of three references with current contact information.