The Assistant Director of Advertising is responsible for researching, conceptualizing, producing, placing, analyzing and reporting on all paid digital media at various stages to continually optimize performance and meet advertising goals. The Assistant Director will instruct the efforts of the university’s media buying agency of record and work with Division and university partners to ensure the strategic alignment of paid digital media with traditional advertising, enrollment communications and manage the digital execution and evaluation of these efforts. This person assesses the needs and opportunities for paid digital media and enrollment communications, assures the internal and external collaboration and proper back-end processes and measures are in place and that all such marketing efforts are in harmony with our brand. Together with the Associate Director of Advertising, the Assistant Director of Advertising assists the in the strategic creation and execution of integrated digital marketing campaigns and the analysis of all related materials and communications. This position has potential to work remotely.
Duties and Responsibilities (generally)
Division Marketing/Advertising campaign management. Oversee and manage internal production teams and tools and external resources to creatively highlight the value of the NIU experience. Lead the tracking and reporting on all digital campaigns. Develop digital media buys. Provide leadership to advance digital marketing initiatives. Special projects. Other duties as assigned. Work collaboratively with division and university colleagues on strategic recruitment and marketing initiatives.
Minimum Required Qualifications for this position
1. Bachelor’s degree in marketing, business administration, communications, public relations or a related field.
2. Three (3) years (36 months) of professional experience working in the advertising, promotions, public relations, communications, journalism, or a related field.
3. Demonstrated professional work experience in planning, monitoring, adjusting, and analyzing digital advertising campaigns.
4. Demonstrated professional experience with budgeting for digital media buying.
*Note Master’s Degree in an area consistent with the duties of the position may be substituted for one (1) year (12 months) of work experience.
Specialty Factors (Additional Required Qualifications)
Education and Experience Preferred
Essential Skills, Attributes and Knowledge:
1. A minimum of a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution and 5 years professional experience in a related field.
2. Outstanding writing and editorial skills with an emphasis on marketing, advertising and/or public relations experience.
3. An excellent communicator, a high-energy self-starter and individual known to be creative, entrepreneurial, flexible and results oriented.
4. Knowledge of current and emerging digital marketing methodologies and technologies and familiarity with best practices in communications and digital advertising trends.
5. Expertise in comprehensive digital advertising campaign planning and integrated marketing.
6. Ability to manage multiple projects, determine project urgency, create detailed action plans and organize/supervise schedule, people and tasks.
7. Related software skills and familiarity with routine office software applications.
9. Ability to work collaboratively and actively with the entire Marketing & Communications staff, university partners and other members of the university community.
10. Flexibility to work beyond the scope of normal university hours of 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. including evening and weekend work.
List the knowledge, skills, and abilities critical to the performance of this position.
Organizational Relationships and Duties:
The Assistant Director of Advertising reports directly to the Associate Director of Advertising and is responsible for conceptualizing, developing, placing, tracking and optimizing all paid digital media for which University Marketing is responsible, and liaising with other units to ensure that the university’s overall digital communications are integrated, efficient and effective. This position requires outstanding written and verbal communication and problem-solving skills, the ability to multi-task in a quick-paced environment, creativity, energy, a vision and passion for NIU, extraordinary organizational and follow-through skills to work on multiple projects simultaneously, a sense of humor and a calm temperament.