Area Manager - West Campus
412-Dining Services Operations
The Area Manager leads and manages the overall operations of St. Mary's Dining Hall, The 2nd Storey Market, and Law School operations. This includes but is not limited to: personnel management, financial responsibility for operations, food safety and sanitation, overall safety, ordering/inventory, presentation of food, equipment/supplies and product mix. The Area Manager will work with management, co-workers, and staff to instill and foster the value of the Villanova Mission Statement and the Dining Services Mission Statement. The Area Manager will focus on our Core Values: Safety and Sanitation, Friendly Courteous Service, Quality, Meticulous Attention to Detail, and Safety. All of our employees should improve our systems and overall operation.
Villanova is a Catholic university sponsored by the Augustinian order. Diversity and inclusion have been and will continue to be an integral component of Villanova University's mission. The University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and seeks candidates who understand, respect and can contribute to the University's mission and values.
Duties and Responsibilities
Responsible for the overall supervision of all staff which includes hiring, scheduling, training, discipline and termination. Monitors and evaluates all staffing levels and performance expectations. Responsible for posting all schedules 2 weeks in advance. Coordinates department training of employees with Training Manager and management team. Responsible for all unit specific training. Responsible for employee morale and maintaining friendly, courteous customer service. Maintains payroll for all full and part- time associates and student staff. This includes updating and monitoring work hours, sick time, holidays, and vacation days. Monitors and schedules all management coverage of operations. Provides supervision and coverage of operations as required. Responsible for the safety of staff and all accident reporting. Conducts weekly meetings with staff. Responsible for yearly evaluation of employees.
Responsible for the timely processing of all invoices and CBords requisitions, daily revenue reports, maintaining proper cash handling procedures, conducting cashier audits, maintaining the safes in each operation. Operates cash registers. Manages to meet and/or exceed financial targets. Reviews budget updates on a weekly basis and stays within guidelines set by target budgets. Responsible to bring recommendations to the directors for any negative variances in food/labor/expense.
Food Safety and Sanitation:
Supervises food prep and production. Responsible for the maintaining of all accurate production sheets and temperature logs. Ensures that all products are wholesome and all product produced on premises follow our food safety and sanitation guidelines. Routinely inspects operations to be in compliance with all board of health regulations. Enforces safety and sanitation policies and procedures including daily, weekly, and monthly cleaning assignments. Responsible for all organization in kitchen.
Menu guidelines and presentation of food:
Responsible for adherence to all menu guidelines and presentation of food at all times. Quality checks are needed on a routine basis throughout the meal service. Proper portioning and food handling must be monitored. Responsible for allergy awareness and signage in locations
Responsible for proper ordering and receiving procedures for all vendors. Proper inventory levels are maintained and daily inventories are conducted for ordering and inventory compilation is conducted during breaks as directed by the Production Manager. Responsible for organization in all storerooms and walk ins. Maintains and updates Cbord with correct par levels including forecasting and postcasting. Production meetings must be conducted on a weekly basis.
Equipment and Supplies:
Monitors and ensures all equipment and records are maintained in the unit. Responsible for all preventative maintenance contracts for equipment and pest elimination. Maintains par level for all supplies including towels, aprons, and mop heads. Coordinates all maintenance and repairs with facilities and/or outside contractors through the Director of Operations. Responsible for fire extinguisher monthly check. Coordinates all custodial issues maintaining our standards of a clean operation. Responsible for dining room tables and chairs.
Ensures that the correct product mix is being offered, seeks student and staff feedback, track industry trends and benchmarks within the local area and markets. Responsible for the Micros computer menu management and product pricing along with the GM of the CStores. Runs daily and monthly product reports to track sales and compare to purchases.
Perform other duties and assist with projects as assigned.
- Bachelors Degree with a preferred major in the area of hospitality or business or equivalent work experience.
- 7 years minimum food service management experience in supervising managers and a culinary team in a multi-concept operation.
- Knowledge of food safety, sanitation and allergy awareness
- Knowledge in human relations training, coaching, evaluating performance, counseling, disciplining and motivating.
- Knowledge of food quality and presentation which includes marketing and nutritional trends with a focus on sustainability initiatives.
- Knowledge of payroll, scheduling, attendance tracking
Physical Requirements and/or Unusual Work Hours
- Current ServSafe Certification preferred. If certification has expired, it must be updated within 3 months of accepting the position.
- Allergy awareness training preferred.
- Experience in leadership and management
- Awareness of and sensitivity to a diverse population (customers and staff)
- Effective written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work independently under general supervision
- Self-motivated with a sense of urgency
- Proven ability to be flexible, deal with rapid change and to meet deadlines.
- Effective decision making and conflict resolution skills using good judgment.
- Proven ability to delegate and follow up while managing time effectively for the desired outcomes and objectives.
- Excellent levels of customer service and ability to handle complaints and/or concerns.
Special Message to Applicants
- Knowledge of preventive maintenance on all equipment.
- Ability to set-up, operate, break down, and clean all kitchen equipment.
- Computer skills necessary
- POS technology Micros/C-BORD
- Ability to use chemicals daily as required, and use proper protective equipment as called for by the specific chemical and task
- Minimum lifting requirement of 30 pounds or more
- Standing for extended period of time
- Ability to withstand extreme weather conditions (hot and cold)
- Ability to push/pull up to 30 pounds independently
Schedule during normal operating hours
Sunday 9am 6pm*
Monday Thursday 1pm 10pm
Schedule subject to change for coverage of late night shifts and/or special events as needed. *Sunday shifts will change to some closing shifts depending on needs.
Closing Date (12am ET):
Open Until Filled:
Salary Posting Information:
Commensurate with experience
To apply, visit: https://jobs.villanova.edu/postings/15790
Villanova is a Catholic university sponsored by the Augustinian order. Diversity and inclusion have been and will continue to be an integral component of Villanova University's mission. The University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and seeks candidates who understand, respect and can contribute to the University's mission and values. Villanova University is committed to providing leadership in the attainment of equal employment for all individuals. It is the policy and practice of Villanova University to recruit and select applicants on the basis of their qualifications and abilities. This effort is in compliance with all federal and state laws, including Title VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1975, Executive Order 11246, and the Americans with Disabilities Act.