Search for University Jobs in Senior Administration
Director of Multicultural Affairs
Worcester Polytechnic Institute
Director of Multicultural Affairs
Worcester Polytechnic Institute - WPI
JOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
The Director of Multicultural Affairs provides leadership and strategic oversight for programs aimed at diverse student populations, collaborations with other key offices across campus in support of institutional diversity, equity and inclusion, and partnerships with other institutions on related initiatives. The Office of Multicultural Affairs plays a critical role in fostering an inclusive campus community that respects and celebrates diversity in all its dimensions. The Director oversees efforts to achieve this mission on behalf of current undergraduate and graduate students, as well as targeted prospective student populations including underrepresented students of color, LGBTQIA+ students, women and first generation students. The Director works closely with colleagues within the Enrollment Management division as well as colleagues from the Student Affairs division in developing targeted recruitment and retention efforts. This individual also works closely with the Chief Diversity Officer and the division of Talent & Inclusion in support of institutional diversity goals. The Director represents WPI at internal and external events, is engaged in professional meetings and associations, tracks institutional progress against that of peer institutions, and incorporates best practices into campus initiatives. This position reports directly to the Senior Vice President for Enrollment & Institutional Strategy.
- Oversee implementation of diversity programs, including Connections pre-orientation, and the Connections extended academic year program, pipeline programs for diverse populations and other targeted outreach efforts.
- Hire, train and supervise Multicultural Affairs assistant/associate directors, administrative assistant and student staff.
- Track academic progress of diverse students and benchmark against retention and graduation rates at peer institutions.
- Work with other offices across campus to develop initiatives designed to enhance student success and to increase diversity.
- Provide guidance and support for faculty and staff advisors of student organizations that engage diverse populations such as BSU, SWE, NSBE, SASE, SHEP, SCNAS, and the Alliance as well as WPI's religious groups such as Hillel, Christian Bible Fellowship, the Muslim Students Association and the Newman Club.
- Serve on campus committees in support of an inclusive community. Actively engage in a leading role in matters pertaining to current and prospective student programs and initiatives.
- Collaborate with the Undergraduate and Graduate Admissions Offices in the recruitment of prospective students, including the development and implementation of scholarship programs and research opportunities.
- Work closely with the Student Affairs Division on collaborative, inclusive student programs and workshops.
- Take responsibility for all written and electronic communications from the Office of Multicultural Affairs, including all related Web pages and social media campaigns.
- Oversee all office expenditures in support of diversity initiatives, including grant funding. Provide budget reports and requests as needed, including cost/benefit analysis of various programs on an on-going basis.
- Serve as a resource and consultant for other divisions and offices in the development of diversity awareness programming and training for students.
- Assist any and all offices providing services and support to various student populations in their efforts to achieve diversity goals (e.g. Career Development Center in expanding internship opportunities; faculty and with the Graduate Studies Office in developing REU opportunities; the Corporate Development Office in corporate outreach efforts).
- Oversee staffing, programming and maintenance of the OASIS cultural center and the Collegiate Religious Center.
- Provide leadership to diversity-oriented student organizations. Track student organization expenditures, budgets, conferences and other related activities.
- Represent WPI at professional meetings and support diversity staff/student engagement in external conferences, workshops and meetings.
- Work to develop opportunities for partnerships with other institutions to achieve shared diversity goals.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Master's degree preferred, bachelor's degree required.
- Minimum of five years' experience in higher education, and experience in diversity and inclusion work.
- Experience working with students in STEM disciplines highly desirable.
- Demonstrated experience with recruitment and retention of diverse populations.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in the development of collaborative programming at an institution of higher education.
- Record of success in establishing good working relationships with students, staff, faculty, alumni, parents and other stakeholders is highly desirable.
- Demonstrated record of involvement and leadership in professional organizations, especially within higher education.
- Excellent written and oral communication required.
- Strong organizational skills.
United States of America (Exempt)
WPI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability. We are seeking individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences who will contribute to a culture of creativity and collaboration, inclusion, problem solving and change making.
To apply, visit: https://wpi.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/WPI_External_Career_Site/job/Worcester/Director-of-Multicultural-Affairs_R0000277
WPI is a vibrant, active, and diverse community of extraordinary students, world-renowned faculty, and state of the art research facilities. At WPI, we have competitive and comprehensive benefits, including health insurance, long-term care, retirement, tuition assistance, flexible spending accounts, work-life balance and much more.
Diversity & Inclusion at WPI
WPI is committed to creating an inclusive workplace where everyone feels valued and respected; a place where every student, faculty and staff member can be themselves, so that they can study, live, and work comfortably, to reach their full potential, and make meaningful contributions in order to meet departmental and institutional goals. WPI thrives on innovative practice and welcomes diverse perspectives, insight, and people from diverse lived experiences, to enhance the community environment and propel the institution to the next level in a competitive, global marketplace.
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |