Director, Sports Operations (5173U) 28057
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
The Department of Intercollegiate Athletics consists of more than 275 staff members and coaches and sponsors 30 varsity sports programs. These 30 programs include more than 850 student-athletes who participate in the various sports programs annually within the National Collegiate Athletics Association (NCAA). We are currently seeking a Director, Sports Operations who will assist various sports teams with their operational needs.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: December 24, 2021
- Liaise between sport coaches and Travel Coordinator to manage arrangements for team travel, including but not limited to hotel arrangements, ground transfer, practice facility approval, game credentials, itineraries, practice times, meals, etc. This includes travel for coaches, teams, recruits and officials.
- Develops itineraries and rooming lists and reconciles team expenses after travelling.
Travel Accounting and Purchasing:
- Liaise between assigned sport coaches and various departmental and campus units i.e. Event Management, Facilities, Scheduling, Business Office, HR, Travel, Risk Management, Media Relations, Compliance, Marketing, Ticket Office, Development, Conference Services, Parking & Transportation.
- Troubleshoot day-to-day operation issues that coaches may encounter.
- Serve as an extension of the sports assigned, helping the coaching staff and student athletes in all area outside of on-field performance
Event and Scheduling Administration:
- Make necessary, program-specific purchases using online tools or contacting vendors directly.
- Reconcile recruiting expenses after on and off-campus recruiting and travel activities.
- Liaise between home event staff and coaching staff on game-day logistics to ensure coaching staff and student athletes are aware of expectations and the overall flow of an event.
- Collaborate with coaches to collect and finalize competition and practice schedules and work with scheduling office to ensure that the appropriate facilities are reserved.
- Negotiate, secure, and implement arrangements for special events including but not limited to, caterers, site inspections, travel, hotel arrangements, etc.
- Collect payments from all banquet and event guests as required.
- Review team budgets prior to submission.
- Monitor spending against budget on a quarterly basis.
- Work with coaches on specific budget areas as needed throughout the fiscal year.
- Assist in the collection and submission of PE grades from assigned Head Coaches.
- Ensures timely submission of required Compliance forms
- Manages the Post Eligibility/Medically Ineligible student-athlete work program.
- Assists with the New Coaches Orientations.
- Troubleshoot issues with the web-based recruiting and communications software, JumpForward.
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent computer skills
- Exceptional communication skills, both written and verbal
- The ability to manage multiple tasks, remain organized, deal with a heavy workload and prioritize work
- A Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience and/or training
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends
- Knowledge of all NCAA rules and regulations.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in athletic operations
Salary & Benefits
We are hiring for 2 full-time, career positions. For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
This position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter required to report the observed or suspected abuse or neglect of children, dependent adults, or elders to designated law enforcement or social service agencies. We reserve the right to make employment contingent upon completion of signed statements acknowledging the responsibilities of a Mandated Reporter.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=28057&PostingSeq=1