The mission of NIU Athletics is to enhance the University, community and region through service and engagement while developing champions in the classroom, in competition and in life. With long standing traditions and core values centered on family, NIU Athletics is home to 17 NCAA Division I sport programs. Northern Illinois University, chartered in 1895, is a comprehensive teaching and research institution with over 19,000 currently enrolled students and houses seven (7) degree-granting colleges-Business, Education, Engineering and Engineering Technology, Health and Human Sciences, Law, Liberal Arts and Sciences, and Visual and Performing Arts. Centrally located in DeKalb, Northern Illinois University is 30 miles west of Aurora, 65 miles west of Chicago, 36 miles west of Naperville, and 45 miles southeast of Rockford.
The Assistant Director of Marketing for the Convocation Center is a 12-month, full-time, Civil Service Staff position. The individual in this position is responsible for the development and implementation of marketing and communication tactics that strengthen the NIU, NIU Athletics, and NIU Convocation Center brand/programs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
This position, as a Department Head, within NIU Athletics, will perform the duties with minimal supervision, and report directly to the Deputy Athletic Director/Executive Director of Operations. He/she will also be responsible for supervising graduate assistants, students, and/or extra help employees within the Marketing department.
Minimum Required Qualifications (Civil Service)
CREDENTIALS TO BE VERIFIED BY PLACEMENT OFFICER
1. Bachelor’s degree in marketing, business administration, communications, public relations or a related field.
2. One (1) year (12 months) of professional experience working in the advertising, promotions, public relations, communications, journalism, or a related field.
3. Based on position requirements, additional education, training and/or work experience in the area of specialization inherent to the position, may be required.
*Note Master’s Degree in an area consistent with the duties of the position may be substituted for one (1) year (12 months) of work experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs)
1. Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
2. Knowledge of recruitment practices.
3. Knowledge of social media analytics, social media publishing tools, web analytics, and tracking technologies.
4. Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
5. Knowledge of media production, including social media platforms and efficiency of use, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods.
6. Knowledge of Microsoft Office, presentation software, spreadsheet software, video creation and editing software, web page creation and editing software, and analytical or scientific software.
7. Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems.
8. Skill in producing live social media coverage.
9. Skill in verbal and written communication.
10. Skill in identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
11. Skill in time management, organizing work assignments, and responding quickly and effectively to challenges.
12. Ability to develop and execute marketing, and strategic communications plans to effect outcomes.
Specialty Factors (Civil Service)
Preferred Qualifications (Civil Service)
Ability to promote and marketing a multiuse facility to potential clients.
Demonstrated ability to direct, manage, and administer complex, multiple tasks simultaneously
Ability to design and write press kits, press release, brochures, newspaper ads, and other promotional materials.
Knowledge of university administrative policies and or procedure and the ability to work with students, faculty, staff and community.
Must have a flexible work schedule including days, nights, weekends, and holidays.