UNIVERSITY OF THE SCIENCES
Dean, Misher College of Arts and Sciences
Provost/Vice-President for Academic Affairs
University of the Sciences (USciences) is seeking applications and nominations for the position of Dean, Misher College of Arts and Sciences
USciences has prepared students to be leaders, innovators, and practitioners in healthcare and science fields for nearly 200 years. Key to its distinctive education is a tradition of hands-on research and experiential learning that is evident in every graduate who has walked its campus. Since its founding in 1821 as Philadelphia College of Pharmacy, the first college of pharmacy in North American, USciences has grown to include degree-granting programs in the health sciences, bench sciences, and healthcare business and policy fields. USciences students are proven everywhere they go.
With five academic departments - Behavioral and Social Sciences, Biological Sciences, Chemistry & Biochemistry, Humanities, and Mathematics, Physics & Statistics - the Misher College of Arts and Sciences offers a myriad of undergraduate and graduate degree programs (BS, MS, PhD, and integrated BS/MS). There is a total of 757 undergraduate and graduate students, 86 full-time faculty (both tenure and non-tenure), and 17 staff members.
For more information on USciences, visit http://www.usciences.edu
Reporting to the Provost, the Dean has overall responsibility for leadership of the College including strategic planning and analysis of College operations; program development for departments in the College; budget development; faculty recruitment and mentorship; liaison with department chairs, program and center directors, and College staff. As an ambassador for the College, the Dean is a strong advocate for the College and represents the College to University administration and the administration to the College. The Dean has ultimate accountability for accreditation and student outcomes, student enrollment, faculty productivity, and faculty development. The University recently launched USciences Online offering fully online certificate and Master's programs for adult learners. The Dean will need to be supportive and open to opportunities relating to online learning. The Dean must also elevate the standing of the College by developing relationships with external constituencies, employers and alumni.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Academic Credibility: Terminal degree with a preference in discipline pertinent to the College. A distinguished record of achievement in teaching, research and service. Relevant experience with program accreditation reviews.
- Vision and Strategic Leadership: Evidence of creating, implementing, and/or aligning and communicating a vision for a department and larger entity that has measurable outcomes. This individual must have a comprehensive knowledge and understanding of health science education and research trends with a point of view to introduce new and dual academic programs.
- Strong Advocate: Ability to serve as a strong and thoughtful advocate for the College internally and externally for students, faculty, and staff and their needs. Strong candidates must be collaborative and collegial and possess excellent communication, persuasion, and relationship skills and capabilities to secure necessary support for the College to thrive. An ability to build trust, to exercise transparency, and to deliver is critical. This individual must be creative with a high level of energy and confidence, a "can-do" attitude.
- Cultural Competence: An ability to engage with a wide variety of constituencies and a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- People, Administrative, and Financial Management Experience: Proven track record of empowering, inspiring, and mentoring faculty and faculty leaders in an impactful way. Relevant experience as a sitting Dean, Associate Dean, or Chair. Organizational, management, and team-building skills with a strong sense of fiscal accountability with business savvy and a willingness to delegate. This individual must have experience making difficult decisions and instill accountability.
- Revenue Generation: Strong external focus and demonstrated success over a sustained period in external fundraising, external relations, and community engagement with the necessary energy and ability to work effectively with partners, employers, donors, alumni and other constituents to secure unrestricted and restricted gifts.
USciences has retained the services of Scott Healy and Associates
to assist in this search. All correspondence relating to the Dean of the Misher College of Arts and Sciences position at USciences should be directed in confidence to the University's executive recruitment consultant:
Christopher S. Healy
Scott Healy & Associates
The full and complete application should contain the following information:
1) A cover letter highlighting your relevant professional experience as well as interest in and fit for the position;
2) A complete CV outlining your career in higher education leadership and scholarship;
3) The names of five professional references including their relationship to you, their position, email, and direct phone numbers. References will not be contacted without written permission.
Applications submitted by December 18, 2020
, will receive priority consideration. This search will remain open until the position is filled.
For more information: https://www.scotthealy.com/searches/current-searches/134/dean-misher-college-of-arts-and-sciences
Minorities, Females, Individuals with Disabilities and Veterans are strongly encouraged to apply.