Search for University Jobs in Senior Administration
Assistant Director of Fitness (34877)
Northern Illinois University
Northern Illinois University (NIU) is accepting applications for the position of Assistant Director of Fitness for the Recreation Center. This is a full-time,12-month position with benefits.
Northern Illinois University (NIU), chartered in 1895, is a comprehensive teaching and research institution with over 19,000 currently enrolled students and houses seven (7) degree-granting colleges—Business, Education, Engineering and Engineering Technology, Health and Human Sciences, Law, Liberal Arts and Sciences, and Visual and Performing Arts. Centrally located in DeKalb, Northern Illinois University is 30 miles west of Aurora, 65 miles west of Chicago, 36 miles west of Naperville, and 45 miles southeast of Rockford.
The Assistant Director of Fitness is directly responsible for providing leadership and developing a strong, comprehensive, and diverse Fitness and Wellness program that is comparable to collegiate programs across the country. This position is the primary representative and expert for the department regarding fitness and wellness related activities, education, and outreach to the campus and community.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Develops and directs all aspects of the Fitness & Wellness program including: programs, marketing, budgets, risk management, assessment, and inventory control;
- Provides the overall direction and coordination of an effective strategic plan that inspires the campus community to engage in fitness and wellness activities;
- Oversees all fitness and wellness personnel, including personal trainers, group fitness instructors, pass checkers, fitness assistants, graduate assistants, and fitness and wellness full-time staff.
Minimum Required Qualifications (Civil Service)
CREDENTIALS TO BE VERIFIED BY PLACEMENT OFFICER
1. Bachelor’s degree in a field relevant to the position (e.g. Kinesiology, Sports Management, Exercise Science, Recreation or a closely related field).
2. A total of one (1) year (12 months) in the promotion, design, development, and/or administration of recreational programs, intercollegiate athletics, campus recreation, park district or similar organization that provides similar program*.
3. Minimum two (2) years (24 months) experience as a personal trainer.
4. Certified instructor for First Aid, CPR, AED, and Blood Borne Pathogen training.
*Note: Master’s Degree in an area consistent with the duties of the position may be substituted for one (1 year) of work experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs)
1. Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
2. Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
3. Skill in analyzing information and evaluating results to choose the best solution and solve problems.
4. Skill in scheduling events, programs, and activities, as well as the work of others.
5. Skill in oral and written communication.
6. Ability to adjust actions in relation to others’ actions.
7. Ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
8. Ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense.
9. Ability to develop specific goals, plans to prioritize, organize, and accomplish tasks.
10. Ability to work effectively with staff, the public, and outside constituency groups.
11. Ability to effectively plan, delegate, and supervise the work of others.
12. Ability to utilize various computer software packages, such as Accounting Software, query, etc.
13. Ability to work independently and exercise judgment in order to be able to analyze and investigate a variety of questions or problems.
14. Ability to analyze and develop guidelines, procedures, and systems.
Specialty Factors (Civil Service)
Preferred Qualifications (Civil Service)
- Two (2) years personnel supervisory experience in recruiting, training, and evaluating staff.
- Current First Aid, CPR, and AED certifications and one of the following certifications: ACSM Personal Training, ACSM Health Fitness Specialist, ACE Personal Training, ACE Group Fitness Instructor, AF AA Personal Training, AF AA Group Exercise, NSCA Personal Training, or NSCA Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist or equivalent.
- Knowledge of the rules, regulations and practices governing liability and patron safety issues for personal training, group fitness, and exercise.
- Knowledge of the scientific and physiological principles appropriate for the specialized field. Ability to develop, foster, and maintain basic communication with a variety of groups (such as students, faculty, staff, and community groups).
- Ability to promote and market the personal training, group fitness, exercise, and wellness programs.
- Ability to exhibit a cooperative attitude with various groups.
- Ability to foster and maintain collegial and supportive work environment with all programs and service participants and staff.
- Demonstrated ability to work with a diverse staff, students, internal, and external partners.
- Demonstrated ability to work with external agencies to secure sponsors and funding for Fitness & Wellness programs.
- Demonstrated ability to chair and direct department and university-wide committees.
- Certified Instructor for First Aid,CPR,AED, and Blood Borne Pathogen training.
- Good organization and problem-solving skills; ability to effectively prioritize work; manage multiple tasks simultaneously; work independently; and demonstrate sound judgment.
- Demonstrated ability to work with external agencies to promote recreation.
- Demonstrated success in the implementing recreation programs to a culturally diverse population.
- Minimum two (2) years experience as a personal trainer.
- Ability to work in a dynamic, changing, and diverse environment.
- Must be willing to work evenings and weekends as program needs require.
- Good organization and problem solving skills; ability to effectively pr
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |