Search for University Jobs in Senior Administration
Senior Director of Total Rewards
Stevens Institute of Technology
Stevens Institute of Technology is a premier private research university in Hoboken, New Jersey, overlooking the Manhattan skyline. Since its founding in 1870, technological innovation and entrepreneurship have been the hallmarks of Stevens’ education and research. Within the university’s three schools and one college, Stevens prepares its more than 9,000 undergraduate and graduate students for an increasingly complex and technology-centric world. Our students collaborate with world-class faculty, readying them to fuel the innovation economy. Stevens is consistently ranked among the nation’s leaders in ROI and career services and is in the top 1% nationally of colleges with the highest-paid graduates.
Stevens Institute of Technology has been Certified™ by Great Place to Work®. The prestigious award is based entirely on what current employees say about their experience working at Stevens. This year, 75% of employees said Stevens is a great place to work — 18 points higher than the average U.S. company.
The Senior Director of Total Rewards will lead all aspects of the university’s compensation and benefits programs. This includes managing the design, implementation, administration, communication, and ongoing evaluation of Stevens compensation and benefit programs (i.e., 'Total Rewards'), policies, and procedures, ensuring the programs support the university’s business objectives and meet all legal requirements. The role will conduct ongoing assessments of job functions and associated compensation using market analysis and benchmarking to ensure that Stevens is competitive and an 'employer of choice" in the job market. As an integral part of the HR team, this role ensures that rewards and recognition programs champion a culture of excellence.
- Serves as a subject matter expert and owns the institution’s total rewards philosophy and approach.
- Collaborates with administrative and academic leaders to design and implement competitive compensation and well-being programs that meet the needs of the university.
- Develops, implements, and manages the strategic direction of Stevens total remuneration and compensation philosophy for faculty, staff, and retirees.
- Applies highly technical expertise and analytical skills to proactively monitor and maintain Stevens’ competitive positioning, ensuring compensation and benefits programs align with and support the institution’s strategic goals.
- Works with external consultants to understand and benchmark market practices. Helps direct compensation surveys, research market competitive practices, conduct related analysis, and recommend new programs or enhancements based on cost/benefit analysis and benchmarking.
- Directs and develops a strong team of 4 compensation and benefits professionals ensuring best practices.
- Leads and directs the planning and design of the annual compensation and salary planning process.
- Leads and directs the Total Rewards team through related bidding processes, benefits renewal, and annual open enrollment processes.
- Directs the organization's overall job architecture (leveling, structure) by working very closely with university leaders and advising them of best practices.
- Oversees and manages the daily administration of all faculty and staff benefits programs, including but not limited to health and welfare plans, retirement plans, and tuition programs.
- Collaborates closely with the Internal Audit, Accounting leadership, and Office of General Counsel to build and maintain compliant programs and procedures.
- Maintains current knowledge of related government rules and regulations, including the Employee Retirement Income Security act (ERISA), FLSA, FMLA, ACA, ADA, COBRA, OSHA, Worker’s Compensation, and other applicable Labor and/or Tax laws and regulations; fulfills compliance and reporting requirements to include ACA and 5500s.
- With the Vice President and CHRO, sets and prepares the agendas and strategy for the ERISA Committee and Benefits Advisory Committee.
- Oversees the Division of HR and Employee Benefits budgets and works closely with FP&A leadership to forecast, prepare, and update the budget and with Accounting to accurately reconcile and manage the G/L reporting.
- With the Office of Financial Planning and Analysis, prepare the compensation program budget and present program recommendations to senior leadership.
- Oversee and handle leave and accommodation requests and ensure compliance with federal, state, and local laws and regulations.
- Responsible for compliance of all benefit and total reward programs with federal and state rules and regulations, including maintenance and management of ERISA plan documents.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in Business, Human Resources, or a related field is required. Master’s degree preferred.
Training, Skills, Knowledge, Experience:
- At least seven (7) years of progressive HR experience with a minimum of three (3) years in a leadership role in the following areas: benefits, compensation, and total rewards.
- Exceptional interpersonal and relationship-building abilities at all levels of the organization, including at the most senior levels.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Proven time management and decision-making skills, with expert analytical and organizational skills to manage multiple projects simultaneously with competing timelines effectively and the ability to identify and respond to needs/issues quickly.
- Proven leadership experience in well-performing action-driven teams.
- Demonstrated ability to partner with and build strong relationships across the organization.
- Ability to influence and lead with and without authority.
- Reflects leading an environment where the staff knows the seriousness of the work while understanding the team can have fun simultaneously.
- Extensive knowledge of ERISA, FMLA, ADA, DOL, FLSA, Workers’ Compensation, OSHA, COBRA, ACA, USERRA, Title IV, paid leave, relevant federal and state rules and regulations as it relates to benefits and compensation.
- Knowledge of Benefits Administration Systems. Workday HCM experience is strongly preferred.
- Comfortable with ambiguity and taking part in complex strategy discussions.
- Strong sense of collaboration, responsibility, accountability, and enthusiasm.
Division of Human Resources
General Submission Guidelines:
In order to be considered a candidate for any job at Stevens, you must submit an online application. Please attach a cover letter and resume with each application. Other requirements for consideration may depend on the job.
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions regarding your application, please contact Jobs@Stevens.edu
Stevens Institute of Technology is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Accordingly, Stevens adheres to an employment policy that prohibits discriminatory practices or harassment against candidates or employees based on legally impermissible factor(s) including, but not necessarily limited to, race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, nationality, citizenship status, age, ancestry, marital or domestic partnership or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, atypical cellular or blood trait, genetic information, pregnancy or pregnancy-related medical conditions, disability, or any protected military or veteran status.
Stevens is building a diverse faculty, staff and student body and strongly encourages applications from female and minority candidates as well as veterans and individuals with disabilities. Stevens is a federal contractor under the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA) and the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as well as other federal statutes.
Jeanne Clery Disclosure:
In accordance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act (Clery Act), the Department of Public Safety is required to publish an annual security report which includes statistics mandated by the Clery Act. You can obtain a copy of this report by accessing the following web site: http://www.stevens.edu/sit/police
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |