Search for University Jobs in Senior Administration
Senior Director, Events Management - Intercollegiate Athletics (06292) 59542
University of California, Berkeley
Senior Director, Events Management - Intercollegiate Athletics (06292) 59542
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles, our Principles of Community, and our Strategic Plan.
At UC Berkeley, we believe that learning is a fundamental part of working, and our goal is for everyone on the Berkeley campus to feel supported and equipped to realize their full potential. We actively support this by providing all of our staff employees with at least 80 hours (10 days) of paid time per year to engage in professional development activities. To find out more about how you can grow your career at UC Berkeley, visit grow.berkeley.edu.
The University of California, Berkeley, is the preeminent public university in the country. We're also one of the leading employers in the San Francisco Bay Area. The Department of Intercollegiate Athletics consists of more than 275 staff members and coaches and sponsors 30 varsity sports programs. These 30 programs include more than 850 student-athletes who participate in the various sports programs annually within the National Collegiate Athletics Association (NCAA). We are currently seeking a Senior Director, Events who will work within the department's Events Management unit.
Under the supervision of Assistant Athletic Director, Event Management, the Senior Director, Event Management assists with the planning and execution of all athletic and special events for the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics.
This position will serve as the main point of contact for game operations and event management of all assigned sport competitions including, but not limited to football, men's basketball, and major special events. In addition, this position will oversee and administer all championship events hosted by the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics in conjunction with the NCAA, Pac-12, ACC, MPSF, and other governing bodies. In fulfilling these duties, this position is responsible for effectively collaborating amongst multiple units both internal and external to the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics.
Major functions of this role include: game/event planning, development, execution and review; communication with a wide range of constituents; elite customer service delivery amongst a wide range of constituents; management and leadership of both full-time and part-time staff; maintenance of existing best practices and development and implementation of new best practices as necessary; maintenance and implementation of measures put in place to maintain a safe and secure environment for all constituents.
Given the stature and nature of the sports involved, and in interest of protecting and enhancing the University and Department of Intercollegiate Athletics brand, this position will be held to the highest degree of excellence in terms of event management, and presentation.
Spectator and participant safety, and compliance with NCAA, Pac-12, ACC, MPSF, and University rules and regulations are fundamental elements of each event.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: October 9, 2023
The Events Management unit plays a key role in planning and hosting all IA events, including home competitions, special events, and other events as indicated (such as outside rentals, pre or post season tournaments, etc.). This position will serve as the main point of contact for game operations and event management of all assigned sport competitions including, but not limited to football, men's basketball, and major special events. Daily responsibilities include year-round event planning which includes creating consistent policies and procedures for all sporting events. Works with other Athletics support units on their involvement with an event. Owns the detailed event plan for specific sports to include ingress, crowd management, visiting team, officials, parking, video personnel, etc.
- Manage complex sporting events - on event days leads a team of Event support staff (including 3rd party vendors), defining work, providing direction and making constant updates to required work to maximize efficiency. Work to constantly solve problems, save time, ensure public safety and provide a comfortable experience for participants and fans.
- Manage day-to-day operations of the unit. Assign projects to other staff as needed. Assist in overseeing all sports - check in on competitions. Lead weekly review meeting.
- Consistently, work amongst multiple units, both internal and external, to refine event production.
- Develop comprehensive event plans. In coordination with appropriate emergency response entities and campus or venue officials, develop and implement game/event safety and security protocols; ensure that venues are prepared with all necessary emergency response equipment. Ensure safe environment for all constituents by reviewing venue setup plan with facility managers and public safety personnel.
- Determine and coordinate staffing needs for all events. Coordinate with contractors, internal staff, part-time or student workers, and campus partners.
- Assist with office management including hiring, training, scheduling, payroll.
- Develop and maintain comprehensive event budgets.
- Perform visual inspections of venues and communicates issues, projects, fixes to applicable facilities staff.
- Serve on various department or campus committees as appointed.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent training/experience.
- 4 - 6 years of experience of event management experience. Football and basketball experience preferred.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of concepts, principles and practices of event planning and public relations, including event design, organization and production.
- Extensive experience in managing small to large crowds and working under stressful situations.
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
- Excellent people skills.
- Knowledge of NCAA and general sports rules.
- Excellent computer skills - Microsoft Office Suite, Google Aps.
- Must be able to work nights, weekends, and holidays (including Thanksgiving and Christmas).
- Driver's License (US issued).
- Ability to lift 75 lbs.
- Master's degree in Sport Management/Administration.
- Ability to operate audio/visual equipment, scoreboards.
- First Aid and CPR certification.
- Beginning to intermediate computer graphic skills.
Salary & Benefits
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University, please visit the University of California's Compensation & Benefits website.
Under California law, the University of California, Berkeley is required to provide a reasonable estimate of the compensation range for this role and should not offer a salary outside of the range posted in this job announcement. This range takes into account the wide range of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions including but not limited to experience, skills, knowledge, abilities, education, licensure and certifications, analysis of internal equity, and other business and organizational needs. It is not typical for an individual to be offered a salary at or near the top of the range for a position. Salary offers are determined based on final candidate qualifications and experience.
The budgeted salary range that the University reasonably expects to pay for this position is $80,000 - $95,000
- This is a 100% full-time (40 hours per week), career position that is eligible for full UC benefits.
- This position is exempt and paid monthly.
How to Apply
To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
This position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter required to report the observed or suspected abuse or neglect of children, dependent adults, or elders to designated law enforcement or social service agencies. We reserve the right to make employment contingent upon completion of signed statements acknowledging the responsibilities of a Mandated Reporter.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant, please see the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission poster.
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy, please see the University of California Discrimination, Harassment, and Affirmative Action in the Workplace policy.
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=59542&PostingSeq=1
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |