Business Manager, BETC & PracticePoint
Academic & Corporate Development
Worcester Polytechnic Institute - WPI
JOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
The Business Manager of PracticePoint and the BETC is responsible for the day-to-day operations for both facilities. The business manager will work closely with the lab managers, corporate membership manager, and leadership team to ensure that the facilities are set up for sustainable success. Portions of the facilities will utilize a service-center model, which will require additional tracking and accounting.
PracticePoint is a WPI membership-based research, development, and commercialization alliance founded to advance healthcare technologies. The focus is on smart and secure medical devices that interact with the physical world to improve the promise of patient-centric care.
The Biomanufacturing Education and Training Center at WPI is where biotechnology professionals gain an edge. It's an innovative partnership between academia and industry that creates customized workforce development solutions for forward-thinking biotechnology companies across the region and around the world.
To be successful, the candidate will create and implement an effective operations strategy, leverage internal and external best practices in business management, and work collaboratively within Academic and Corporate Engagement (ACE), Academic Affairs, and other WPI departments.
- Responsible for day-to-day operations of the facilities, including budgets, membership tracking, service center tracking, and coordination with lab managers to keep the facilities in state-of-the-art condition.
- Design and implement business plans and strategies to promote the attainment of the mission of the facilities.
- Develop processes for tracking equipment scheduling, usage, and maintenance. Use these processes for day-to-day operational logistics.
- Develop and implement budgets with divisional budget director.
- Maintain relationships with partners, vendors, and suppliers.
- Gather, analyze and interpret external and internal data. Provide leadership with report-outs of analysis and recommendations for better optimization.
- Supervise administrative and student support staff, including administration of time sheets and schedule coordination.
- Ensure adherence to legal rules and guidelines relevant to each facility and service centers.
- Special projects and other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree required. MBA a plus.
- Five+ years working in a business process role
- Demonstrated experience in process improvement and optimization.
- Demonstrated experience successfully working in a customer service role.
- Excellent knowledge of MS Office, databases and information systems.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong organization, business and functional knowledge.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Strong creativity and problem solving skills.
United States of America (Exempt)
WPI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability. We are seeking individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences who will contribute to a culture of creativity and collaboration, inclusion, problem solving and change making.
To apply, visit: https://wpi.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/WPI_External_Career_Site/job/Worcester/Business-Manager--BETC---PracticePoint_R0000603
WPI is a vibrant, active, and diverse community of extraordinary students, world-renowned faculty, and state of the art research facilities. At WPI, we have competitive and comprehensive benefits, including health insurance, long-term care, retirement, tuition assistance, flexible spending accounts, work-life balance and much more.
Diversity & Inclusion at WPI
WPI is committed to creating an inclusive workplace where everyone feels valued and respected; a place where every student, faculty and staff member can be themselves, so that they can study, live, and work comfortably, to reach their full potential, and make meaningful contributions in order to meet departmental and institutional goals. WPI thrives on innovative practice and welcomes diverse perspectives, insight, and people from diverse lived experiences, to enhance the community environment and propel the institution to the next level in a competitive, global marketplace.