Search for University Jobs in Senior Administration
Director of the Office of Disability Services
We are looking for a Director of the Office of Disability Services to join the Office of Student Affairs. Reporting to the Associate Dean of Student Affairs, the Director will oversee and provide strategic leadership on the operation of disability services at Simmons University. The Director will ensure that students needing accommodations are responded to quickly and thoroughly. The Director will also drive the commitment within the Office of Disability Services (ODS) on diversity, equity and inclusion, creating an environment free from bias, prejudice and discrimination.
Simmons is committed to the full participation of all students in its programs and activities. In this commitment, Simmons provides support services and reasonable accommodations when requested by students who qualify for them. ODS insures that these accommodations are put into place in a timely manner, and that each student is treated with dignity and respect.
The Office of Student Affairs provides advocacy and develops programs and services that support students' academic and personal development. Staff members assess the needs of a changing student body and initiate programs that respond to those needs.
Leadership and Program Management
- Develop strategic priorities for the Office and Student Affairs as it relates to accessibility;
- Create and implement policies and procedures on issues of disability and accessibility;
- Consult on University construction/building/technology/web design projects as well as University policies/procedures specific to access for students with disabilities;
- Provide leadership experiences and other opportunities for students with disabilities to facilitate community engagement as well as personal growth;
- Manage the assessment process of offered services to improve student experience and support;
- Act as the primary resource to the institution and the public regarding disability information specific to Simmons University;
- Develop retention and intervention services for students with disabilities;
- Oversee and manage the ADA Services budget;
- Maintain information regarding state and federal laws and regulations as well as industry best practices in providing reasonable accommodations while maintaining program technical standards;
- Represent the ODS at industry conferences and events as well as in University meetings and committees;
- Supervise and manage the Disability Services staff;
- Other responsibilities as necessary.
Compliance and Accommodations
- Ensure University compliance with related state and federal regulations as they pertain to students;
- Oversee the coordination and provision of all reasonable accommodations for students with disabilities, collaborating with faculty and staff;
- Serve on the Disability Services documentation review team, reviewing and determining appropriate accommodations/services for students;
- Meet with students, parents or guardians to discuss the services and accommodations offerings the ODS provides and review the accommodations and services the student has been approved to receive;
- Oversee the management of student case files, completing and filing required reports and case notes.
Education and Outreach
- Develop and oversee educational programs to support the academic progress and retention of students with disabilities;
- Train new and current faculty and staff on best practices for working with students with disabilities;
- Provide programming during University orientation sessions for new students and for orientation staff leaders;
- Provide periodic trainings to the Office of Student Affairs on trends and developments in the disability services area and in Simmons students specifically;
- Work with students to provide support, advocacy, and coaching specific to issues related to disability.
- Master's degree in Education, Psychology, Rehabilitation, Counseling, or related field;
- A minimum of five years of experience in a learning center and/or disability services office in higher education, nonprofit, or government agency;
- Experience working with the Rehabilitation Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the ADA Amendments Act, as well as other relevant local, state and federal law;
- Ability to work some evening and weekend events if necessary.
Instructions to Applicants:
- Understanding of student development and disability issues;
- Strong supervisory, management, and budgetary skills;
- Broad knowledge of and experience with assistive and/or instructional technologies.
- Experience reviewing and interpreting test results and reports, as well as medical documentation;
- Knowledge of and experience with the challenges facing under-represented populations as they access disability services;
- Ability to manage sensitive and confidential situations with professionalism;
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office suite and an ability to learn new technology;
- Experience assessing clinical standards for programs with practical requirements (e.g. nursing and social work);
- Experience identifying and resolving complex problems or issues that require detailed investigation, analysis and interpretation;
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, with an ability to work across a diverse community of students, staff, faculty and external constituents.
Please submit a resume and cover letter in the Resume/CV section of your application.
As a University committed to diversity, equity and inclusion, Simmons encourages applications from all under-represented groups. Simmons is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to continuing to develop a more diverse faculty, staff, student body and curriculum.
To apply, visit https://simmons.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Simmons-Careers/job/Main-Campus---Boston-MA/Director-of-the-Office-of-Disability-Services_R05392
Located in Bostons historic Fenway area, Simmons College is a small, private, non-sectarian College which has educated students for enriching careers and purposeful lives since 1899. Working at Simmons means joining a collaborative, diverse and mission-driven community of educators and professionals.
We prepare students to be leaders for themselves, their communities and the world. Our faculty and staff members lead by example - sharing a commitment to excellence and putting the students first.
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |