Kansas State University Olathe invites applications and nominations for the position of Associate Dean for Academic Affairs and Research. Reporting to the Dean and CEO, the Associate Dean is a critical member of the K-State Olathe leadership team which is dedicated to forging new paradigms of integrated and interdisciplinary education, leading new program development, and facilitating research and engagement through academic, industry, government and community partnerships. The campus has a mandate in research and education and currently offers more than 10 programs at the undergraduate, master’s and doctoral levels in hospitality, food science, horticulture, veterinary biomedical sciences, public health, school counseling and adult learning and leadership.
Growth of educational offerings at the campus will continue to evolve to meet workforce and industry needs through a variety of credit and non-credit bearing programs that address technical as well as transferable skills. Faculty and instructors at K-State Olathe represent a combination of resident and non-resident, full and part-time experts and adjuncts from the industry/government sectors. There are ten research laboratories in the facility that support both academic and industry activities.
The Associate Dean for Academic Affairs and Research will:
- Provide leadership in the development, implementation and assessment of integrated and interdisciplinary graduate and undergraduate programs with particular emphasis on transfer students and students who are also working professionals as well as targeted programs to meet the workforce needs of companies;
- Design strategies responsive to the demographics of the potential student population with local, national and international dimensions through face-to- face, online and hybrid programs offered as workshops and/or leading to certificates and undergraduate and graduate degrees;
- Develop and implement programming that is transformational and relevant to workforce development through innovative approaches to the changing demands of higher education and growing industry/government/academic partnerships that bridge education with research and translational opportunities;
- Coordinate and assess instructional needs and staffing (e.g. joint hires across university departments, industry experts and other adjuncts); evaluate performance and benchmark curricular content in alignment with K-State academic policies and standards;
- Build a community of support and supervise services related to student enrollment, retention, success, and career advising;
- Act as a liaison for K-State Olathe academic programs and faculty, serve on campus and university committees related to academic and student issues; and represent the campus through collaborations with university partners (Manhattan, Salina, and Global) and private/public sectors as appropriate.
- Identify, coordinate, and manage research opportunities, activities, and staffing needs related to the campus’ priority areas and service mission.
- Other duties as assigned by the CEO.
The successful candidate must possess a PhD or appropriate terminal degree in an academic discipline along with teaching experience in an academic setting. They will demonstrate strong leadership and the ability to work as part of a team; proven relationship building skills; commitment to shared governance; ability to work with diverse constituencies within the university and corporate/government/community sectors; and effective managerial, interpersonal and communication skills. Travel between Olathe and K-State campuses at Manhattan and Salina as well as within Greater Kansas City area is expected as part of the responsibilities of the position.
This position will be a 12-month appointment structured as 80% administrative and 20% faculty.
Why Join Us:
Kansas State Olathe campus (www.olathe.k-state.edu) was launched in April 2011 and is one of four Kansas State University campuses, including Manhattan, Salina, and Global. Olathe is located in Johnson County, Kan., and is engaged with educational and research activities in the Greater Kansas City metro area with emphases in animal health and urban food systems. The campus embodies a unique vision jointly developed with regional community, government, industry and university stakeholders for higher education partnership in an industry-centric environment. The campus is a strategic partner of the Johnson County Education and Research Triangle, which provides funding to support the campus’ mission. The metro area has a diversity of industries ranging from trade, manufacturing, transportation, utilities, professional and business services, health and education.
Kansas State University offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes health insurance, life insurance, retirement plans, paid time off – vacation, sick, and holidays. To see what benefits are available, please visit: https://www.k-state.edu/hcs/benefits
This position is eligible for hybrid worksite. Work is performed partially remote and partially on employer premises or designated assignment location.
Visit this link for K-State’s guidance and policies on remote work and flexible work arrangements. Remote work agreements are required for all flexible work arrangements and are subject to review.
What You’ll Need to Succeed:
- The successful candidate must have an earned doctorate or terminal degree
- Proven success as a faculty member and educator in developing curriculum, delivering undergraduate and graduate-level coursework and assessing program outcomes and impact.
- A minimum of three years of experience in administering and managing programs with responsibility for guiding strategy, budgets and personnel
- Demonstrated experiences relevant to student services including recruiting, advising and retention
- Proven ability to mentor and ensure the success of faculty and adjunct instructors from academic and industry sectors in diverse programs and disciplines
- Demonstrated interest in education relevant to workforce and regional demands including integration of K-12 and inter-institutional partnerships, alternative educational pathways and credentialing, and innovation
- A working knowledge and appreciation of University shared governance, research, operations, and organization, as well as the culture and environment of industry and the corporate sector
- Demonstrated success as a collaborator and ability to build coalitions with a range of diverse individuals, stakeholders to achieve needed outcomes and institutional and regional growth
- Demonstrated ability to foster diversity and promote a collegial and constructive environment based on open communication, team building, and effective management
- Strong interpersonal, oral and written communication skills as evidenced by application materials.
- PhD. or other doctorate degree in a discipline relevant to or integrates well with K-State Olathe’s priority areas (e.g., veterinary, health and food sciences; biotechnology, or related areas of business, analytics, education, etc.)
- Experience with non-academic institutions and diverse partnerships
- Ability to thrive in a matrix environment and bridging the interests of multiple stakeholders from perspectives of the university, industry, government and community (regional, national and international);
- Strong interest in new paradigms of integrating applied, translational research and education in novel programs and partnerships that set new paradigms in higher education
- Commitment to building and leading innovative and interdisciplinary programs linking technical and transferable skill acquisition
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States at the time of employment.
How to Apply:
Applicants must provide a letter of interest addressing the required and preferred qualifications, curriculum vitae, and complete contact information for three professional references.
Application materials must be submitted online to be considered.
For question regarding the position, please contact, Dr. Ben Wolfe, Dean and CEO of K-State Olathe. email@example.com, (913.307.7385) For questions regarding the recruitment process, please contact Roberta Robinson at firstname.lastname@example.org (913.307.7316).
Anticipated Hiring Pay Range: $150,000
Background Screening Statement:
In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University will procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.