Search for University Jobs in Senior Administration
Associate Director of Strategic Communications
Stevens Institute of Technology
Associate Director for Strategic Communications
Founded in 1870 and located in Hoboken, New Jersey, Stevens Institute of Technology is a university on the rise. Guided by the university’s 10-year strategic plan and its commitment to student success and a technology-centric academic environment, Stevens has grown in enrollment, research impact, and stature. A https://www.stevens.edu/sites/stevens_edu/files/files/PresidentsOffice/Stev… of Stevens’ progress may be viewed here.
Stevens invites applications for the position of Associate Director for Strategic Communications to advance its reputation and impact through all communications channels. The successful candidate will be an engaged, energetic and detail-oriented content strategist, brand storyteller, writer, editor, and versatile communicator. The Associate Director will be committed to continually improving the university’s reputation while amplifying institutional voice and advancing university priorities. The Associate Director will facilitate and contribute to content strategy, story planning and message development, developing plans and drafting communications to effectively communicate university messages against key objectives.
Reporting to the Assistant Vice President for Strategic Communication and Public Relations, the Associate Director for Strategic Communications will be responsible for content development for a variety of institutional initiatives, including presidential communications, campus communications projects and special initiatives, emergency communications, brand storytelling, events, news, and PR, while maintaining quality assurance for all written and digital communications. The incumbent will lead and assist with executive communication programs for both external and internal university stakeholders, supporting the Office of the President in driving awareness and excitement around impactful innovations, news and progress and managing a variety of communications. The position also reviews and contributes to internal partners’ high-level strategic content projects that align with the objectives of the Division of University Relations. A Communications Specialist will report to this position.
The Associate Director for Strategic Communications will:
- Execute and manage presidential communications, in collaboration with colleagues, including strategic initiatives from the Office of the President, presentations, speeches, remarks, website content, social media, video scripts, and limited correspondence;
- Assist with emergency communications, including but not limited to community messages, web content, FAQs and more;
- Develop and execute year-round content calendar that delivers on objectives including institutional reputation, brand awareness, student recruitment and alumni engagement, across various channels;
- Proactively gather and analyze information about newsworthy subjects and write stories and create other content;
- Draft narrative for strategic initiatives, including the university’s strategic plan for 2022-2032 and annual progress reports;
- Write compelling copy about university progress, student success and more, interviewing students, faculty, and staff for news articles and profiles;
- Publish stories to the university website;
- Support the Stevens alumni magazine through editorial consultation and contributing original and repurposed articles;
- Contribute to and collaborate with partners within the Division of University Relations to develop strategic storytelling and content initiatives, including on public/media relations, multimedia and web content, scripts, marketing and brand initiatives, and social media;
- Develop and formalize project requirements, scope, specifications and schedules; align talent and set deadlines;
- Develop creative copy briefs or project briefs;
- Ensure continuity of the brand story through tone, voice, accuracy, consistency, and quality;
- Supervise the work, quality, deliverables, and professional development of the Communications Specialist, assigning and overseeing work of that position;
- Measure the success of the communications programs; conduct periodic audits to assess quality of content and alignment with plans and goals; track content effectiveness and recommend strategies to improve and shape content initiatives.
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications, or other relevant degree
- Six (6) years of professional writing experience
- Experience in strategic content development and mapping strategies and plans to organizational objectives
- Ability to distill complex and/or technical concepts and synthesize into clear and concise communications for a variety of audiences
- Able to write effectively for many channels, including emails, speeches, web content, articles, brochures, talking points, presentations and more
- Experienced in content curation, transforming content across platforms to meet different audience needs; ability to visualize the best way to present content and tailor content to a variety of channels
- Capacity to effectively manage evolving priorities, multiple projects, and deadlines
- Exceptional strategic communication planning, project management and organizational skills
- Strong working knowledge of communications best practices and ability to guide messaging for a variety of external and internal audiences
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communications
- Excellent proofreading and editing skills
- Proficiency with web content management systems
- Knowledge of AP Stylebook
- Exceptional attention to detail and commitment to producing high-quality work
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to work independently and collaboratively within a team environment
- Experience working in higher education preferred with executive or corporate communications experience
- Previous supervisory experience preferred
Three (3) writing samples will be required from all finalists that demonstrate ability to craft the types of content that would be expected in this role.
General Submission Guidelines:
In order to be considered a candidate for any job at Stevens, you must submit an online application. Please attach a cover letter and resume with each application. Other requirements for consideration may depend on the job.
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |