Tufts Office of Corporate and Foundation Relations (CFR) has an opening for an Associate Director position. Reporting to the Director of CFR, Health Sciences, this position will play a key role in the development, execution and management of a robust engagement and fundraising strategy with the goal of growing the corporate and foundation prospect pool, deepening relationships, and securing institutional support for education, program, capital and research priorities within the Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine at Tufts University (Cummings). The Senior Associate Director will be expected to maintain a consistent level of 60+ relationships with external organizations, regional, national and international, with the anticipation of raising significant resources for the Cummings School. As a vital member of a multi-faceted CFR team, the Senior Associate Director will maintain ongoing communication with the Director of CFR, CFR colleagues, academic staff, and will work in close collaboration with the Senior Director of Development and Alumni Engagement, Dean, school senior leadership and key members of the faculty to enhance the support for Cumming’s strategic priorities.
The ideal candidate will be a collegial and entrepreneurial team player with corporate engagement experience in an academic setting and a track record of professional growth and successful relationship building and management in a complex organization. They will be a strategic thinker with excellent proposal writing and communication skills and the ability to engage, influence and persuade others.
Must be willing and able to travel and work occasional evenings and weekends.
This position will be hybrid, with a combination of on-campus 2 days (Grafton) and remote work. A CFR office on the Boston and Medford campuses will be available for occasional full-day work at these locations.
What You'll Do
Under minimal supervision, plans and implements corporation and foundation fundraising programs and activities of large scope
• Establishes goals and strategies with manager and partners on development of priorities for Cummings School
• Develops and presents proposals and initiatives which align school programs with corporate and foundation interests. Meets with deans, senior leadership and faculty to develop strategies and proposals.
• Identifies, cultivates and solicits corporate and foundation prospects for a school or a specific portfolio of high profile projects and programs.
• Completes detailed documentation, prepares and presents summary reports to management.
• Manages stewardship plans for corporate and foundation donors.
• Partners with advancement professionals and teams, academic and administrative leadership, Research Administration, Technology Licensing and Industry Collaboration and other university departments to coordinate strategies, outreach, relationship management and stewardship.
• Direct management of a part-time staff assistant
• Perform duties as assigned
What We're Looking For
• Bachelor’s degree
• 5-7 years of non-profit fundraising, working in the medical or healthcare sector or comparable field, preferably in higher education
• Demonstrated experience in effective interactions with internal and external constituencies to advance organizational objectives
• Excellent interpersonal and relationship management skills
• Demonstrated experience in proposal writing and securing corporate and foundation funding
• Master or PhD preferred, Advanced degree or degree in a life science field
• Highly professional with the ability to work with and command the respect of dean, faculty and administrators, and nurture productive working partnerships internally and externally
• Ability to grasp and synthesize complex information across a range of issues and technical disciplines.
• Ability to think strategically, manage multiple projects effectively, evaluate problems and display sound, confidential judgment
• Motivated to learn and display flexibility in a changing environment
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Ability to work independently and as part of multiple teams
• Highly motivated, entrepreneurial, collaborative, conscientious, and results-oriented