The University at Buffalo Jacobs School of Medicine, Office of Medical Education invites applications for the position of Director of Academic Support. The Director of Academic Support develops and implements support services and enrichment programs for medical students at the University at Buffalo Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences. Areas of responsibility include implementing orientation activities for Year 1 students, coaching of individual students, and developing a comprehensive peer tutoring program. The director does not need to be an expert in science or medicine, but does need a strong background in academic support for higher education students and a thorough understanding of the unique pressures and expectations of medical school. This position will also collaborate with the Office of Student and Academic Affairs, Accessibility Services, the Medical Education and Educational Research Institute (MERI), the Office of Medical Curriculum, Counseling Services, teaching faculty members, and others as needed.
This position reports directly to the Senior Associate Dean for Student and Academic Affairs and will be responsible for:
- One-on-one academic enrichment support for all students.
- Conduct individual diagnostic interviews and consultative activities for any interested students in the areas of learning and test-taking strategies, time management, and preparation for licensing exams and board certifications.
- Develop, implement, and manage a comprehensive peer tutoring program that includes training and mentoring of tutors and continuous quality improvement. Track and report program outcomes and quality measures.
- Track student data and participate in orientation and other educations activities that students attend to gain exposure to content and methodology.
- Collaborate with the director of MERI and other student support units to maintain contact and serve as a resource to basic science and clinical faculty on teaching methodology and maintaining an optimal learning environment.
Salary: $60,000 – $75,000
University at Buffalo is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and, in keeping with our commitment, welcomes all to apply including veterans and individuals with disabilities.