Department Chair – UCLA Department of Film, Television and Digital Media
The UCLA School of Theater, Film and Television invites applications for the Chair of the Department of Film, Television & Digital Media (FTVDM). We seek candidates who will provide proven academic leadership and administrative skills, a vision for the future of media education, and a commitment to collaborating with faculty and the Dean to support student success and welfare across a multitude of distinct programs.
We are especially interested in candidates who will actively contribute to the pursuit of diversity, equity and inclusion in the department. This includes a diversity of viewpoints, cultural backgrounds, and experiences/practices of the department as well as a firm and demonstrated track record of commitment to equity and inclusion.
FTVDM is invested in both scholars and makers, and we welcome candidates who bring a robust agenda of research and/or creative practice with an ability to support both equally.
In addition to overseeing the administrative/academic operations of the department, the Chair will lead the way in implementing a renewed vision for FTVDM. This will include providing support and mentorship for faculty, as well as spearheading strategic initiatives that will require inspiration, innovation, and inclusiveness.
For further description of job duties, please consult page 9 of the FTVDM Bylaws (https://ucla.app.box.com/s/d930us1iy579l753oftdqzinuwjyd0fi) and UCLA’S Academic Personnel Manual, Section 245, Appendix A. (https://senate.universityofcalifornia.edu/_files/committees/ucaade/apm245.p…)
RANK/SALARY: We are seeking applicants who qualify for appointment as a tenured, Full Professor in the University of California. Salary will be commensurate with background and experience.
QUALIFICATIONS: Applicants must demonstrate evidence of excellence in scholarship and/or creative work, as well as exceptional leadership skills within a context that is both professional and academic. In addition, applicants must exhibit:
- Sophisticated understanding of faculty governance and academic organizational structures.
- Evidence of successful extra-institutional collaboration (ie.. community and industry partners, media arts organizations, scholarly and/or professional societies)
- Active commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion
- Ability to collaborate effectively with relevant departments, interdisciplinary initiatives, research centers, and archives/libraries across the university.
- Clear alignment with the goals of public education and UCLA’s and FTVDM’s historical commitment to serve the educational needs of underrepresented populations
REQUIREMENTS: Terminal graduate degree or at least 8 years of professional work experience in a media-related discipline.
The position will remain open until filled. Applications will be accepted beginning August 20, 2021, with full consideration given to applications received by November 15, 2021.
Apply link: https://recruit.apo.ucla.edu/JPF06722