Reporting to the Executive Director, Institutional Compliance & Privacy, the Assistant Director – HIPAA Privacy, oversees, coordinates, and assesses compliance activities, including HIPAA, HITECH, privacy, and general compliance for all four divisions of the University (Auburn University Main Campus, Auburn University at Montgomery, Auburn Cooperative Extension System, and the Alabama Agricultural Experiment Station). Auburn University is a Hybrid HIPAA Entity.
Auburn University is an R1, Land Grant institution with $255 million in research expenditures in 2020 and enrolls approximately 32,000 students, in twelve colleges: Agriculture; Architecture, Design & Construction; Engineering; Education; Forestry and Wildlife Sciences; Human Sciences; Liberal Arts; Nursing; Pharmacy; Sciences and Mathematics; Business; and Veterinary Medicine. U.S. News and World Report ranks Auburn as a top 50 public university. Auburn University at Montgomery enrolls nearly 7,000 students and is recognized as one of the best Regional Universities in the Southern U.S.
At Auburn, our work changes lives. Learn more about Auburn’s impact, as well as generous employee benefits and opportunities by visiting aub.ie/working-at-auburn.
Auburn residents enjoy a thriving community, recognized as one of the "best small towns in America," with moderate climate and easy access to major cities or to beach and mountain recreational facilities. Situated along the rapidly developing I-85 corridor between Atlanta, Georgia, and Montgomery, Alabama, the combined Auburn-Opelika-Columbus statistical area has a population of over 500,000, with excellent public-school systems and regional medical centers.
· Development, implementation, maintenance, and adherence to the University privacy programs related to HIPAA, HITECH, and related healthcare privacy laws
· Participates in compliance review and assessments of HIPAA-covered entities to determine whether required documentation and training is being performed in an accurate and timely fashion
· Conducts compliance testing in accordance with federal guidelines. Assists in developing and revising documentation to comply with federal standards such as forms, notices, and agreements
· Provides advice to the Office of the General Counsel, Procurement, University Leadership, and covered entities in various matters having legal ramifications dealing with healthcare privacy compliance
· Reviews Business Associate Agreements, software vendor contracts that deal with healthcare information, healthcare affiliation agreements, and informs the Institutional Review Board on matters pertaining to the use of personally identifiable information
· Stays informed on relevant laws and regulations that pertain to healthcare and the University