Search for University Jobs in Senior Administration
Assistant Director for Fitness & Wellness (34877)
Northern Illinois University
The mission of NIU Athletics is to enhance the University, community and region through service and engagement while developing champions in the classroom, in competition and in life. With long standing traditions and core values centered on family, NIU Athletics is home to 17 NCAA Division I sport programs. Northern Illinois University, chartered in 1895, is a comprehensive teaching and research institution with over 19,000 currently enrolled students and houses seven (7) degree-granting colleges—Business, Education, Engineering and Engineering Technology, Health and Human Sciences, Law, Liberal Arts and Sciences, and Visual and Performing Arts. Centrally located in DeKalb, Northern Illinois University is 30 miles west of Aurora, 65 miles west of Chicago, 36 miles west of Naperville, and 45 miles southeast of Rockford.
The position is directly responsible for providing leadership and developing a strong, comprehensive, and diverse Fitness and Wellness program that is comparable to collegiate programs across the country. Responsibilities include providing the overall direction and coordination of an effective strategic plan that inspires the campus community to engage in fitness and wellness activities. This position oversees all fitness and wellness personnel, including personal trainers, group fitness instructors, pass checkers, fitness assistants, graduate assistants, and fitness and wellness full-time staff.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- This position is the primary representative and expert for the department regarding fitness and wellness related activities, education, and outreach to the campus and community.
- This employee develops and directs all aspects of the Fitness & Wellness program including: programs, marketing, budgets, risk management, assessment, and inventory control.
Minimum Required Qualifications (Civil Service)
Any one of the following from the categories below:
- Master’s degree in a field relevant to the position (e.g., Kinesiology, Sports Management, Exercise Science, Recreation, or closely related field)
- Final semester or completed Graduate Assistantship with campus recreation or similar department performing duties for two (2) academic years consistent in area of specialization inherent to the position.
- Bachelor’s degree in a field relevant to the position (e.g., Kinesiology, Sports Management, Exercise Science, Recreation, or closely related field)
One (1) year (12 months) of work experience in the promotion, design, development, and/or administration of recreational programs.
- OR -
- 4 years (48 months) of work experience in promotion, design, development, and/or administration of recreational programs, intercollegiate athletics, campus recreation, park district or similar organization that provides similar program.
- Note: Students in the final semester of a Master’s Degree program, may be allowed to complete a credential examination and will receive full consideration, including being interviewed. An offer may be extended with understanding that proof of degree based on institution is provided to the employment institution Human Resources Office at least two weeks before the proposed start date.
- Note: Newly hired employees may be required to obtain and/or maintain certifications in American Red Cross, CPR/AED/First Aid and Blood Borne Pathogens and similar certifications.
Specialty Factors (Civil Service)
Preferred Qualifications (Civil Service)
Two (2) years personnel supervisory experience in recruiting, training, and evaluating staff.
Current First Aid, CPR, and AED certifications and one of the following certifications: ACSM Personal Training, ACSM Health Fitness Specialist, ACE Personal Training, ACE Group Fitness Instructor, AF AA Personal Training, AF AA Group Exercise, NSCA Personal Training, or NSCA Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist or equivalent.
Knowledge of the rules, regulations and practices governing liability and patron safety issues for personal training, group fitness, and exercise.
Knowledge of basic concepts of physical fitness, weight training, weight control and nutrition, aerobics, fitness testing, and health maintenance.
Knowledge of the scientific and physiological principles appropriate for the specialized field. Ability to develop, foster, and maintain basic communication with a variety of groups (such as students, faculty, staff, and community groups).
Ability to promote and market the personal training, group fitness, exercise, and wellness programs.
Ability to exhibit a cooperative attitude with various groups.
Ability to foster and maintain collegial and supportive work environment with all programs and service participants and staff.
Demonstrated ability to work with a diverse staff, students, internal, and external partners.
Demonstrated ability to work with external agencies to secure sponsors and funding for Fitness & Wellness programs.
Demonstrated ability to chair and direct department and university-wide committees.
Certified Instructor for First Aid, CPR, AED, and Blood Borne Pathogen training.
Good organization and problem solving skills; ability to effectively prioritize work; manage multiple tasks simultaneously; work independently; and demonstrate sound judgment.
Demonstrated ability to work with external agencies to promote recreation.
Demonstrated success in the implementing recreation programs to a culturally diverse population.
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |