Search for University Jobs in Senior Administration
Assistant Superintendent/Vice President, Business and Financial Affairs
Southwestern Community College District
Assistant Superintendent/Vice President, Business and Financial Affairs
Southwestern Community College District
Work Site: 900 Otay Lakes Road, Chula Vista, CA 91910
Department: Business & Financial Affairs
At SWCCD, we seek individuals who prioritize equity, demonstrate responsiveness, and possess a deep understanding and appreciation for the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of our community college students and employees. This includes those with different physical and neurodiverse abilities. Our goal is to create an inclusive educational and employment environment, and we expect our incumbents to proactively foster and support this environment with compassion, collegiality, and dedication.
The CollegeSouthwestern Community College District (SWCCD) is not just a college district; it is a vibrant hub of higher education serving the diverse communities of Chula Vista, San Ysidro, Otay Mesa, National City, and Coronado. Our strategic location in south San Diego County places us in a unique position to provide exceptional services to a binational community along the United States-Mexico International Border.
As a proud Hispanic Serving Institution and eligible Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander Serving Institution (ANNAPISI), SWCCD places immense value on equity, inclusion, diversity, and culturally responsive classroom instruction and support services. We understand that each employee and student bring a unique set of experiences and perspectives to our campus, and we are committed to creating an environment that welcomes and celebrates this diversity.
Statement of Inclusion A dedication to diversity, equity and inclusion is at the heart of our mission. Our leadership is committed to institutionalizing practices of inclusive excellence to ensure that we welcome and celebrate the intrinsic worth of all members of our community. We will become an even stronger college as we enhance equity at every level of our institution.
The Southwestern Community College District is composed of faculty, staff and students from a wide range of cultural backgrounds and it embraces a diversity of programs, ideas and people. Diversity is valued as an essential cornerstone to inclusion and equity. Southwestern College is an equal opportunity employer dedicated to excellence through diversity and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, sex, disability, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, or any other non-job-related criteria.
Our Students and Staff SWCCD currently enrolls approximately 28,000 students annually. SWCCD is a very diverse college with an ethnicity/race make up of 67% Hispanic students, 11% Caucasian students, 6% Filipino students, 5% African American students, and 5% Asian students. Approximately 62% of the college's students are under the age of 24 with 25% ages 25 to 39. Approximately 60% of students receive some form of financial aid, 38% are full-time students and 62% part-time students. The college has approximately 1,300 employees.
Scope of Duties As the Assistant Superintendent/Vice President for Business & Financial Affairs (ASVPBFA), you will play a pivotal role within our organization. Reporting directly to the Superintendent/President, you will provide district-wide leadership, supervision, and oversight for all aspects of Business & Financial Affairs.
Your responsibilities will encompass a wide range of critical areas, including financial and accounting services, budget planning and development, business operations, and payroll. Additionally, you will lead and manage facilities, the health and wellness center, and auxiliary operations, which include maintenance and operations, construction and bond management, bookstore, and food services operations.
In the absence of the Superintendent/President, you may serve as their designated representative, ensuring the smooth functioning of the district. Furthermore, you will have the important task of supervising and evaluating the performance of assigned staff, fostering a culture of excellence and accountability.
As the chief business officer for the district, you will have the opportunity to make a significant impact on our organization's financial health and overall success. Your leadership will be instrumental in supporting our mission and creating an environment conducive to learning and growth.
Knowledge and Abilities:
Key Duties and ResponsibilitiesThe following duties are typical for this classification. Incumbents may not perform all of the listed duties and/or may be required to perform additional or different duties from those set forth below to address business needs and changing business practices.
- Provide administrative leadership for the Business & Financial Affairs Division including oversight and direct involvement in assigned services and operations; plan and administer assigned services and functions, including business operations, auxiliary services, food services, health and wellness center, bookstore operations, risk management activities, programs, and operations.
- Provide equity-minded leadership and foster an inclusive working environment.
- Administer and lead the Districts financial affairs in accordance with State/Federal laws, Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), Principles and procedures of Governmental and Fund Accounting, Board policies, and administrative regulations.
- Monitor all pertinent legislation including California Education Code and Title 5 Code of Regulations, and court decisions that may relate to Business and Financial Affairs functions; assume responsibility for interpretation of, and compliance with, Federal and State laws and regulations relating to Business and Financial Affairs.
- Implement the Educational and Facilities Master Plans, which may include student housing respectively; oversee the preparation of annual plans for the major units within the Business & Financial Affairs Division and evaluate the attainment of goals.
- Develop annual budget recommendations according to established procedures; allocate, monitor, and control assigned program budgets and expenditures.
- Conduct financial analysis and prepares reports necessary for the effective management and operation of the District; Prepare required and present reports for the State Chancellors Office and Governing Board.
- Serve as the financial agent of the District; assume responsibility for collecting and providing updated financial information as well as accounting for, safeguarding, and investing District funds.
- Plan, organize, and direct all aspects of business-related programs; assume responsibility for implementation, interpretation, revision, and evaluation of the Districts financial condition.
- Lead and supervise and evaluate the performance of assigned staff; interview and select employees and recommend transfers, reassignment, termination and disciplinary actions according to established procedures.
Education and Experience:
Masters DegreeANDOne (1) year of formal training, internship, or leadership experience reasonably related to the administrators administrative assignment.
Demonstrate equity-minded focus, responsiveness, and sensitivity, to and understanding of, the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, and successfully foster and support an inclusive educational and working environment.
Minimum Qualifications: (Faculty and Academic Administrator Positions Only)
A Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Masters of Business Administration, or earned doctorate from an accredited institution is desirable.
Three (3) years progressively responsible administrative experience including leadership and senior management experience.
The successful applicant will have a demonstrated and progressive track record in the administration of administrative services in higher education. This background should be evidenced by recent and proven experience, knowledge, and abilities in:
- Methods and techniques of designing and implementing Business and Financial Affairs related programs and projects including technology programs and projects.
- Operations, services, and activities of a Business and Financial Affairs Division.
- Applying local, state and federal regulations budget, financial, risk management, and facility affairs, including accreditation.
- Working with college participatory governance groups in a collective bargaining environment.
- Developing and administering instructional program budgets, including external grant funding.
- Supervising, mentoring and evaluating classified professionals and administrators.
- A proven track record of meeting the needs of culturally, ethnically, and economically diverse, faculty, students and staff.
- Leading through a lens of equity and race consciousness.
- Experience working in a community college environment with education centers/extended sites and collegial consultation.
- Provide leadership in the development and maintenance of an operational budget.
- Leadership in developing, implementing, supervising and evaluating relevant accounting, finance, facilities and risk management functions.
- Public business and financial administration theory, principles, and practices and their application to a wide variety of programs and procedures.
- Principles and practices of program and project design, development, implementation, and administration.
- Pertinent Federal, State, and local laws, codes, and regulations.
Unrepresented Administrator Salary Schedule, $15,481.67-$19,043.75 monthly, plus $2,090 annually for earned doctorate degree. A standard medical and fringe benefit package is available.
Position is open until filled. Applications received by the first screening deadline of 11:59 p.m. on Friday, October 20, 2023 are guaranteed to be reviewed by the selection committee. Any application received after the deadline is not guaranteed a review.
Monday-Friday: 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.Successful candidate may be assigned to any of the campus sites (Chula Vista, National City, Otay Mesa, and/or San Ysidro).
A confirmation number will be assigned if your application packet has been successfully submitted. Assistance with the online application process is available through the Human Resources Office at 900 Otay Lakes Road, Chula Vista, CA 91910; telephone: (619) 482-6395 or e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
It is the sole responsibility of the applicant to ensure that all application materials are received by the review deadline date. A separate, complete application packet is required for each position for which you are applying for. All materials included in your application packet become District property, will not be returned, will not be copied, and will be considered for this opening only.
Candidates selected for employment with Southwestern Community College District must be fingerprinted by an electronic fingerprinting service (i.e. LiveScan) within 10 days of employment; provide clearance of tuberculosis (dated within the past 4 years and renewed every four years as a condition of continued employment) within 60 days of employment; provide proof of eligibility to work in the United States.
Reasonable accommodations will be provided to candidates with verified disabilities. Accommodation requests should be made at the time the interview appointment is scheduled.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer and in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, Southwestern Community College District will make reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
The Southwestern Community College District shall not discriminate against any person in employment or in any program affiliated with the District on the basis of age, ancestry, color, ethnic group identification, national origin, religion, race, sex, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or on the basis of these perceived characteristics, or based on association with a person or group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics.
Notice of Availability of the Annual Security Report - Southwestern College is committed to assisting all members of the community in providing for their own safety and security. The Annual Security Report is available on the SWCPD website at https://www.swccd.edu/student-support/safety-and-security/jeanne-clery-act/.
If you would like to receive a hard copy of the Annual Security Report, which contains this information, you can stop by the SWC College Police Department or you can request that a copy be mailed to you by calling (619) 482-6390.
The report contains information regarding campus security and personal safety including topics such as: crime prevention; public safety authority; crime reporting policies; programs to prevent dating violence, domestic violence, sexual assault, and stalking; the procedures the College will follow when one of these crimes is reported; and other matters of importance related to security on campus. The report also contains information about crime statistics for the three most recent calendar years concerning reported crimes that occurred on campus; in certain off-campus buildings or property owned or controlled by the College or a recognized student organization; and on public property within, or immediately adjacent to and accessible from the campus.
This information is required by law and is provided by the SWC College Police Department.
Drug and Alcohol Abuse Prevention Plan (DAAPP) - More information about the DAAPP, including the Drug Free Environment and Drug Prevention Program Policy and Procedure and Biennial report can be found in the Health and Safety Section of the campus Consumer Information page ( http://www.swccd.edu/index.aspx?page=1084)
To apply, visit: https://jobs.swccd.edu/postings/4388
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |