Provost and Executive Vice President
George Mason University (Mason), under the visionary leadership of President Dr. Gregory Washington, invites applications and nominations for the position of Provost and Executive Vice President. This role offers a unique opportunity to be a part of a dynamic institution committed to fostering academic excellence, enhancing student success, and driving innovation in higher education. To learn more about this opportunity and the search, please visit here.
Mason is a pioneering institution, united in its vision to create a more just, free, and prosperous world. With an unwavering commitment to innovation, inclusivity, engaged teaching, and impactful research, Mason sets the standard for academic excellence, social progress, and transformational student outcomes. To learn more about Mason please visit here.
Reporting directly to the President, the Provost and Executive Vice President will lead the charge in cultivating a dynamic and forward-thinking academic environment. In close collaboration with faculty, staff, and students, they will be instrumental in advancing academic excellence, research, and scholarly pursuits in alignment with Mason’s core values. This role is pivotal in charting strategic directions, spearheading educational initiatives, and facilitating the success of all members of the Mason community, safeguarding George Mason University's continued position as a frontrunner in higher education. The Provost and Executive Vice President serves as the university's principal academic officer. This role entails the comprehensive supervision of the university's educational, research, and public engagement endeavors.
The ideal candidate will have the following professional qualifications:
- An academic background and credentials, including an earned Ph.D., or highest degree in their chosen academic field.
- A successful record of academic leadership based on a combination of scholarly accomplishment and executive experience, or substantial leadership and career accomplishments with an understanding of and demonstrated commitment to higher education.
- A demonstrated commitment to shared governance as exemplified by the ability to build institutional excellence, especially in the University’s core functions of instruction, research, and scholarship
- A demonstrated commitment to undergraduate and graduate education and research excellence.
- The demonstrated ability to attract and retain a superb diverse and inclusive faculty, student body, and staff.
- A demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion that results in strong and positive relationships with individuals from a wide variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences.
- A highly communicative and transparent leadership style that fosters an environment of trust, excitement, and high morale among faculty, students, staff, and the external University community.
How to Apply
Applications and nominations are now being accepted. Inquiries, nominations, and application materials should be directed to Greenwood Asher & Associates. Application materials should include:
- A letter of interest that clearly states the applicant’s qualifications for the position;
- A current curriculum vitae/ résumé; and
- The name and email address of five professional references.
For best consideration, applications should be submitted by January 15th, 2023. We strongly encourage submitting application materials as PDF attachments. Initial screening of applications will begin immediately and will continue until an appointment is made.
Please direct inquiries, nominations, and application materials to:
Julie Holley, Associate Vice President of Executive Search
Greenwood Asher & Associates
Lois Stetson, Senior Executive Search Consultant,
Greenwood Asher & Associates
For more information about George Mason University, please visit https://www.gmu.edu/.
George Mason University reaffirms its commitment to equal employment opportunity and affirmative action, and issues the following statement: EEO/AA Statement of Policy (PDF)