The University of Sharjah is a not-for-profit institution with more than 15,000 students from over 98 nationalities and 650 full-time faculty members from 48 nationalities. The University of Sharjah is a leading institution of higher education in the Arab Gulf region and Middle East. It offers academic programs in a number of specializations, including Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences, Medical and Health Sciences, Engineering, Basic and Applied Sciences, Business Administration, Communication, Law, Sharia and Islamic studies, and Fine Arts and Design.
The College of Computing and Informatics is a new college and will start its functions in September 2019. The purpose of the new college is to connect aspects of modern education, artificial intelligence, computer and network security, computer science areas, and their applications to healthcare, smart city, robotics and critical applications. It will apply novel ways of data processing and information engineering on data generated from variety of related fields. The new college is to become a core of innovation at the University of Sharjah in computing related areas. The 5-year Strategic Plan 2019-2024 of the college is to build its identity through key areas, including research excellence, education excellence, and community engagement. The college will offer cutting edge graduate programs which contribute to the UAE community and the region and globally. In addition, it will work on inspiring faculty and students to build strong connections with industry using the available technology and research to take a central role in achieving UOS and UAE development plans.
The University of Sharjah is currently seeking to appoint a candidate for the position of Dean of the College of Computing and Informatics. The candidate will provide leadership at a critical stage as the college expands its research and academic programs. The new dean is expected to join the college in July 12, 2019.
Candidates interested in the position are encouraged to apply by sending their application as soon as possible.
For more information about the University, please visit the website: www.sharjah.ac.ae
SCOPE OF WORK:
The Dean of the College of Computing and Informatics is the most senior official representing the college and reports directly to the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs.
MANDATE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Create and sustain a well-established network outside the college with the aim of facilitating the education process and training/research activities.
- Establish strategic directions/objectives and policies related to the education process and research activities in the college and all of its departments and oversee their application.
- Represent the University in relation to the college at various conferences and symposia outside the University.
- Propose recommendations for developing the annual college budget, implement and oversee the development and implementation processes, and conduct regular productivity and effectiveness analyses.
- Develop a network of visiting professors and experts to support the college’s education and research activities and its sustainability.
- Propose recommendations for the development of University policies and procedures and participate in the process of development.
- Coordinate agreements with relevant ministries, departments, and authorities inside and outside the UAE.
- Possess knowledge of human resources, administrative concepts, and higher education practices, policies and procedures.
- Establish research programs relevant to the region and work to strengthen and promote them.
- Possess excellent communication skills and the ability to work actively in a multicultural and diverse community.
- Possess experience in liaising with relevant networks and institutions with the aim of activating education and research processes.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
The candidate shall have held academic and professional positions and possess a rich record in teaching and academic rigor at the international level. The candidate shall also demonstrate effective and continuous contributions to his/her fields of specialization in the form of published research in refereed international journals and participation at exhibitions, conferences, and forums, in addition to holding the following professional degrees, qualifications and experience:
- PhD from a recognized university.
- Rank of a professor in one of the college specializations.
- Record of distinction in teaching and research, appropriate to the rank of a professor in one of the college specializations.
- Proficiency in English: writing and speaking (preference may be given to bilingual language proficiency "English and Arabic").
- Leadership qualities and clear research background in one of the college specializations.
- A clear vision for the development of higher education, in general, and the college, in particular.
- Familiarity with the credit-hour system.
- Distinguished administrative experience in higher education affairs, preferably at the level of a dean at a reputable university.
- Experience with the program accreditation standards of specialized entities at national and international educational institutes.
- Knowledge of human resources and administrative and financial concepts, practices and policies.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of departments in a diversified community.
- Experience in communicating with universities, academic and professional institutions, associations, unions, companies, business administration institutions and other institutes focused on education and research.
Priority will be given to applicants with the following qualifications:
- Administrative expertise and acumen in launching pioneering programs.
- Skills in dealing with multi-cultures.
- Active participation in prestigious organizations.
- Evidence of the candidate’s support for the achievements of faculty members and students.
- Expertise of modern teaching methods, including the use of technology in the teaching process.
- Interest in the humanities and a commitment to enriching the educational experience of students.
The University of Sharjah offers a competitive tax-free salary and benefits package. For more information, please visit our website at: http//www.sharjah.ac.ae
For those interested, possessing the required experience and qualifications, please send your CV and cover letter, together with the names of three references (including current or most recent employer), to the email: DeanInformatics@sharjah.ac.ae
Review of applications will begin on April 10, 2019 and continue until the position is filled. Applicants are requested to submit their applications by email in the form of attached files.