Associate Director, Retirement Center (7377U) 10866
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: September 29, 2020
The UC Berkeley Retirement Center (https://retirement.berkeley.edu
) serves retirees of UC Berkeley, LBNL and UCOP and is dedicated to helping them live well in retirement. The Retirement Center goals include:
- Bringing together the skills, intellect and creativity of retirees to solve challenges and create opportunities.
- Connecting staff, faculty and scientists with resources and tools to help with a smooth transition in retirement.
- Promoting activities that nourish the intellectual engagement and well-being of retirees.
- Raising awareness of retirement tools, programs, services and the accomplishments of retirees.
The Retirement Center is seeking to hire a new Associate Director (Administrative Officer 3) to oversee the full general operations of The Retirement Center. The successful candidate should be a flexible and detail-oriented self-starter; have a strong work ethic and customer service orientation, possess strong organizational skills, and enjoy working in a creative environment with retired faculty and students.
The Administrative Officer 3 uses skills as a seasoned, experienced administrative operations professional to manage and administer 40+ educational programs for retirees, oversee revenue generating services and a significant contract with the Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, as well as oversee small fundraising activities (and annual solicitation and BigGive). This role will oversee issues of varying complexity from the Center's existing and prospective clients and donors, and manage The Center's relationship with the Retiree Association leadership.
Retirement Center Operations (35%)
- Finance and Budget - Oversees Retirement Center operational budget. Develops and prepares budgets for programs, conferences and other Center activities, which may be complex. Performs all recharge administration for the unit. Identifies vendors and oversees contract negotiations. Gathers, analyzes, prepares and summarizes financial reports for the Director.
- Human Resources & Student Staff Supervision - Oversees hiring and HR matters for The Retirement Center's staff, work study students, and rehired retirees and volunteers, assuring compliance with HR policy. Supervises a small staff of support employees and/or students, and manages retiree volunteers for ongoing projects.
- Office Administration - Develops and implements procedures for supply inventory and to keep equipment in good working condition. Administers facilities and space logistics and manages equipment needs. Acts as safety coordinator.
Retirement Center Program Management (35%)
- Manages the organization and development of 40+ programs annually.
- Coordinates with the instructors, determines learning objectives and methods of instruction, and provides guidance to presenters regarding adjusting curriculum toward a particular target audience. Oversees program evaluation.
- Oversees the program logistics, setting up registration in zoom and iContact, producing the marketing materials, and updating the website.
- Manages the overall calendar of programs, ensuring deadlines are met for logistics.
Retirement Center Representation (15%)
- Serves on various committees as the Retirement Center Representative. Serves as Retirement Center representative at Retiree Association Board meetings in absence of the Director.
Development and Revenue Generation (10%)
- Oversees the Center's bi-annual fundraising campaigns and assists the Director with other fundraising related duties as assigned. Provides input into non-technical portions of grant and contract proposals.
- Oversees the design and drafting of organizational website content; drafts newsletters and correspondence to organizational constituents.
- Thorough knowledge of University rules and regulations, processes, protocols and procedures for budget, account and fund management, personnel management; or ability to quickly learn.
- Thorough knowledge of financial analysis and reporting techniques, human resources policies and procedures for staff and academic employees.
- Thorough knowledge of and skill in delivering programs, including needs assessments, program development, and evaluation.
- Knowledge of common concerns of retirees, and in educational programs and trends related to the Retirement Center audience, or ability to learn.
- Knowledge of a variety of administrative operations activities such as events planning, fundraising processes, risk management planning, website design, accounting/payroll, contracts/grants,and regulations/guidelines.
- Knowledge of common University-specific computer application programs including Salesforce; or ability to quickly learn.
- Interpersonal communication skills, including verbal and written, active listening, critical thinking, persuasiveness, advising/counseling skills, especially in working with older adults.
- Strong skills in short term planning, analysis and problem-solving and customer service.
Bachelors degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training
Salary & Benefits
The starting salary range for this position is $67,500 - $81,000. Starting salary will be commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=10866&PostingSeq=1