Function & Scope:
St. Lawrence University invites applications for a Financial Analyst position. Under the direction of the Executive Director for Finance and in conjunction with the Director of Budget & Planning, the financial analyst supports the University’s risk management, financial planning, and budgeting operations, assisting with financial decision-making through the collection, analysis, investigation, and reporting of financial data. The analyst is an integral member of the Decision, Analysis, and Planning Support (DAPS) team who fosters effective working partnerships across the University while carrying out job responsibilities with impeccable integrity and consistent with the best interests of the University.
- Support the preparation of annual operating and capital budgets
- Monitor actual operating and capital performance relative to the budget
- Analyze and evaluate budget variances and identify areas for further investigation
- Make recommendations on budget requests and options that are consistent with university policies, programs, and objectives
- Prepare regular and ad hoc budget reports and analyses
- Assist with position approvals and the maintenance of the position budgeting system
- Provide decision support through utilization and improvement of planning tools
- Support the preparation of monthly, quarterly, and annual financial reports
- Assist in the production of mandated reporting to external agencies
- Provide guidance, training, and support to the campus community to enhance their financial management of the University’s resources
- Analyze business processes and use of technology with the goal of implementing changes to improve efficiency and productivity
- Understand and communicate the ways in which evolving needs will impact University infrastructure and IT systems
A bachelor’s degree is required, as well as at least 2-4 years of experience in finance, budget, or accounting, preferably in a higher education or non-profit environment. Proven experience with financial systems and computer applications is required.
A high level of proficiency with Excel is required. Experience with Microsoft Access and Ellucian’s Colleague Finance system is preferred.
Must possess excellent analytical skills, critical thinking skills, and the ability to develop new problem solving strategies when necessary. Requires strong written and oral communications skills with proven ability to communicate effectively with individuals at all levels of the University. Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, a high level of accuracy, and the ability to manage multiple deadlines are required.
Equivalent combination of education and documented experience and training in the areas identified will be considered. A graduate degree in a related field may also be considered in place of experience.
Interested applicants must apply online at http://employment.stlawu.edu uploading all required materials, which are defined in the "special instructions to applicant" section. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Questions about the position may be directed to Eric Shinnick, Executive Director for Finance email@example.com.
All offers of employment are contingent upon the finalist successfully passing a background (including criminal records) check.
Located in Canton, NY, St. Lawrence University is a coeducational, private, independent liberal arts institution of about 2,400 students from more than 40 states and 40 nations. The educational opportunities at St. Lawrence inspire students and prepare them to be critical and creative thinkers, to find a compass for their lives and careers, and to pursue knowledge and understanding for the benefit of themselves, humanity and the planet. Through its focus on active engagement with ideas in and beyond the classroom, a St. Lawrence education leads students to make connections that transform lives and communities, from the local to the global.
The University is committed to and seeks diversity among its faculty, staff and students. Such a commitment ensures an atmosphere that is diverse and complex in ways that are intellectually and socially enriching for the entire campus community. Applications by members of all underrepresented groups, as well as from individuals with experience teaching or working in a multicultural environment, are encouraged. St. Lawrence University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
For additional information about St. Lawrence, please visit http://www.stlawu.edu.