Search for University Jobs in Senior Administration
Director, Strategic Transformation - Office of the Executive VP
The Tufts Office of University Strategy Management tackles the most interesting and pressing challenges in higher education through critical strategic planning, advisory, and analytical support. The Office serves the University as a partner to Tufts’ schools and the central administration in the identification and development of mission-related opportunities that transform the University’s model for sustainable success in the 21st century higher education ecosystem. We achieve this mission by providing business analysis and project management expertise for transformational strategic initiatives (often serving as an internal consulting agency), by providing best-in-class market research and business analysis to the Tufts community, by partnering with schools and units across the university to build strategic portfolios of educational programs, and by supporting the university’s strategic planning processes and the cultivation of a strategic mindset in all areas of the institution. Led by an Executive Director, the Office reports to the Executive Vice President and works closely with the Office of the Provost in establishing and implementing its priorities. The Office is comprised of two teams: the Strategic Transformation team and the Strategy & Analytics team.
What You'll Do
The Director, Strategic Transformation reports to the Executive Director of the Office of University Strategy Management and leads project-based transformational initiatives aligned to the University’s and school’s strategic priorities by providing management consulting capacities. In doing so, the Director is a key strategic partner not only to the Executive Director, but to the Executive Vice President, Provost, School Deans, and Central Unit Vice Presidents. This individual will be the first hire into the Strategy & Transformation team, which is seen as central to building the University’s strategic capacity and is expected to grow in the coming years. In the near-term, the Director will assist in the hiring of a Senior Analyst who will be a part of a small pool of Analysts in the Office of University Strategy Management.
The Director will be 25% to 100% allocated to various strategic projects based on the needs of the University, the estimated time required to complete the project, and (to the extent possible) personal preference. In the higher education environment, strategic projects tend to move more slowly than in industry. Reflecting this, the Director will be more deeply engaged in having a real strategic impact through both senior stakeholder engagement and day-to-day responsibility for project outcomes (a hybrid Senior Consultant and Engagement Manager role). On each project, the Director is responsible for
- Serving as a thought leader and advisor to key internal stakeholders (e.g., Deans, Provost, Executive Vice President) and the Executive Director in identifying and articulating the project’s goals and objectives
- Developing issue maps and analytical frameworks that outline the strategic questions and approaches to be used
- Driving projects forward, including providing project management, meeting set-up and leadership, and timeline/milestone management
- Convening a cross-functional team of individuals from across the University to address the project questions
- Designing, participating in, and supervising the team’s core work, research, and analytical tasks; this may include actively completing research and analysis in addition to thought leadership
- Developing and delivering the highest quality actionable advice, insights, and impact for our internal stakeholders
- Communicating these results through a variety of media (e.g., PowerPoints, white papers, excel analyses) and during regular and milestone meetings and other communications to senior University leaders (e.g., Executive Vice President, Provost, Deans, etc.)
As a member of the Office of University Strategy Management, the Director will be on the Executive Director’s Leadership Team and on the Executive Vice President’s Extended Leadership Team. In this capacity, the Director is responsible for
- Engaging in Office-wide and University-wide planning, committees, and environment, proactively contributing to the Office and University as a whole beyond day-to-day work
- Supporting work typically conducted by the Executive Director and Office’s Strategy & Analytics team, as needed
- Market research and business analysis
- Program portfolio analyses
- Strategic planning and mindset cultivation activities
- Evaluating the performance of team members and supporting professional development, coaching, mentorship, and review processes
- Helping to develop and contributing ‘practice building’ the Office of University Strategy Management as it grows over time
This individual will also:
- Get things done, be comfortable with periodic ‘sprints’, have an all-hands-on-deck mentality, and be comfortable having clear performance targets and being measured against them on a regular basis
- Be comfortable with receiving direction and working independently to create solutions and proposals relative to that direction
- Be comfortable knowing the scope of the role and the balance of work across the stated responsibilities may evolve and change to best serve the needs of the university over time
What We're Looking For
- Knowledge and skills as typically acquired through completion of an MBA and a total of 7-10 years’ professional experience, with at least 2-3 years in Management/Strategy Consulting in a post-MBA consulting role or equivalent in-house experience
- Excellent skills and demonstrated experience in the following areas:
- Critical thinking and creative problem-solving
- Financial, business, and strategic analysis skills (e.g., survey development and analysis, market studies, pricing analysis, competitor benchmarking, financial / database analysis, business case development)
- Development and synthesis of key takeaways and data-driven recommendations for senior and executive audiences in written and verbal form
- Project management and leadership of complex strategic projects
- MS Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Excellent communication skills in a variety of settings, e.g., one-on-one , leading large groups, presentations, ability to work with senior and junior stakeholders
- Ability to handle multiple projects and priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work as an individual contributor and/or on a small team
- Results-oriented – willingness to be hands-on and to execute in addition to thinking big picture; willingness to learn and grow
- Flexible – able to shift and adapt with projects and as the department/office grows
- Proactive – does not need substantial direction, looks for opportunities to go above and beyond
- Empathetic – demonstrates ability to understand, articulate, and adapt to a wide variety of skill sets and perspectives
- Sense of humor, a positive and collaborative attitude, and a team player mentality, willing to take on any task big or small
- Tact, discretion, and ability to maintain confidentiality
- Interest in working in or with education, non-profit, government, or other public sector organizations
- 2-3 years in a Management/Strategy consulting firm, in a post-MBA consulting role
- Higher education management/strategy consulting experience
- Experience working in or with education, non-profit, government, or other public sector organizations
- Experience managing direct reports and reports in a pooled resource environment
Tufts University is recognized as a premier university in the United States, with more than 1,300 international students, and 450 international faculty and scholars. As well as possessing a global reputation for academic excellence and for the preparation of students as leaders in a wide range of professions, Tufts is an employer of choice, offering a market-competitive and progressive total rewards program that includes a spectrum of benefits and resources to create a positive work/life experience. For more information about Tufts and its benefits, please visit: http://hr.tufts.edu/benefits/
For additional background about Tufts’ Business Development Office, please visit: http://evp.tufts.edu/administrative-initiatives/business-development/. Information on Tufts University’s global presence, initiatives, and operations, can be found at: https://www.tufts.edu/strategic-themes. Tufts’ Institutional Research’s Fact Book can be found at: http://provost.tufts.edu/institutionalresearch/files/2015-16-OIRE-Annual-Report.pdf
An employee in this position must complete all appropriate background checks at the time of hire, promotion, or transfer.
Equal Opportunity Employer – minority/females/veterans/disability/sexual orientation/gender identity.
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |