Finance & Operations Division
Worcester Polytechnic Institute - WPI
JOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
The Controller is responsible for the accounting, external financial reporting, and financial internal control operations of the University, and compliance with federal, state and local laws and regulations related to the finances of not for profit institutions. The Controller is responsible for the management and oversight of general accounting, research accounting and compliance, debt compliance, treasury operations and cash management, student accounts, accounts payable, procurement, payroll, fixed assets, restricted gifts and endowments, tax compliance, and internal control systems for financial operations. The Controller provides effective leadership for the department and communicates accounting matters to the University community.
WPI is passionate about creating an inclusive workplace that promotes and values diversity. We are looking for candidates who can support our commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion.
This position currently has the option to have a hybrid schedule.
- Oversee all accounting functions of the University.
- Coordinate across multiple aspects of the University including, budget office, advancement, Student financial aid, office of sponsored programs, provost's office, IT, Talent & Inclusion, general counsel, and faculty as needed.
- Serve as key liaison to external auditors; prepare annual financial statements of the university in a timely manner and meet other external reporting requirements including Uniform Guidance and IPEDS Finance Survey.
- Develop, implement and document accounting policies and procedures in compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), OMB Uniform Guidance for grants management, and applicable tax regulations; ensure accurate accounting of all financial transactions.
- Review and file annual federal and state tax returns.
- Provide leadership and mentoring for staff, foster a team environment, and support staff professional development.
- Propose and implement modifications to existing accounting policies and procedures so as to promote efficiency; continuously review accounting practices to meet the evolving needs of the University and to incorporate best practices for the industry.
- Develop and implement effective internal control policies and procedures.
- Serve as key liaison with the outsourced internal audit team and the Board of Trustees audit committee; prepare trustees financial reports and presentations.
- Continuously identify new or existing functionality within Workday to improve University and user experience. Participate in planning and testing of upcoming release updates to ensure functionality is optimized.
- Assist with evaluating debt service requirements, future cash needs, financing options, and public debt offerings.
- Promote culture of customer service excellence and community engagement by all members of the staff; work collaboratively with other campus departments.
- Communicate accounting policies and changes to the university community.
- Remain apprised of changes in accounting rules and standards impacting higher education.
- Support diversity and inclusion initiatives of the University
- File and negotiate proposals for Facilities & Administrative Rate calculations and the fringe rate.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or related field with CPA or MBA preferred.
- Minimum of 7 years of progressive responsibility in an accounting organization or CPA firm, including 3 to 5 years in a supervisory role.
- Experience in higher education financial accounting preferred with knowledge of accounting standards and federal and state regulations applicable to not for profits and universities.
- Proven competency in financial information technology and implementation of financial systems.
- Ability to work collaboratively across the university; customer-oriented approach.
- Flexibility and willingness to adapt to change; strong communication skills.
- Demonstrated initiative and strong work ethic.
Please include a cover letter to be considered for this position.
Please note WPI requires all employees to be fully-vaccinated for COVID-19. For more information, please visit https://www.wpi.edu/we-are-wpi
United States of America (Exempt)
WPI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability. We are seeking individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences who will contribute to a culture of creativity and collaboration, inclusion, problem solving and change making.
To apply, visit: https://wpi.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/WPI_External_Career_Site/job/Worcester/Controller_R0001730
WPI is a vibrant, active, and diverse community of extraordinary students, world-renowned faculty, and state of the art research facilities. At WPI, we have competitive and comprehensive benefits, including health insurance, long-term care, retirement, tuition assistance, flexible spending accounts, work-life balance and much more.
Diversity & Inclusion at WPI
WPI is committed to creating an inclusive workplace where everyone feels valued and respected; a place where every student, faculty and staff member can be themselves, so that they can study, live, and work comfortably, to reach their full potential, and make meaningful contributions in order to meet departmental and institutional goals. WPI thrives on innovative practice and welcomes diverse perspectives, insight, and people from diverse lived experiences, to enhance the community environment and propel the institution to the next level in a competitive, global marketplace.