The ideal candidate should have an informed vision of excellent clinical experiences that our medical students and future alumni will need. The Associate Dean for Clerkships & GME will need good interpersonal skills to successfully work with a variety of professionals in this process. While responsibility is for the clerkships and GME, the individual will have senior administrative collaborators.
▪ Lead the creation of clinical clerkships that will satisfy the COCA requirements of 120% capacity of the intended class size for all core and elective rotations as identified by the Dean
▪ Ensure that all clinical rotation-related elements are ready at a reasonable time prior (as determined by the Dean/Chief Academic Officer to when medical students enter clinical training.
▪ Ensure that all clinical rotations for medical students are appropriate and high quality as well as meets accreditation standards.
▪ Oversee the quality and improvement of the clinical rotations to assure their effectiveness
▪ Assist the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs in developing, implementation, and overseeing student assessment and testing processes and procedures for the clinical portion of medical student training
▪ Develop, implement, and oversee processes and procedures for the implementation of clinical rotations
▪ Develop, implement, and oversee the continuous improvement of the Clinical Rotation portion of the Student Handbook (Academic Handbook) and selected academic policies and procedures with all final changes subject to approval of the Dean
▪ Work in collaboration with clinical partners to create affiliated GME programs
▪ Assist with the hiring and integration of the Director of Clinical Clerkship Coordinators, Clerkship Coordinators, and Clerkship Directors/Regional Dean/Core Site Directors
▪ Recruit a surplus number of clinical faculty/preceptors to serve the needs of the medical students as well as a sufficient number for purposes of accreditation.
▪ Foster a positive culture amongst the preceptors
▪ Serve on selected committees at the discretion of the Dean
▪ Serve on the Dean’s Council or equivalent organization
▪ Represent the Dean at selected events when assigned by the Dean
▪ Responsible for the Clerkships & GME budget
▪ Supervise the administration of subject exams and clinical curriculum content delivery
▪ Ensure prompt payment of clinical faculty/preceptors per organizational policies.
▪ Assist the Dean in accreditation functions to include document creation, data collection, data entry, education of faculty on accreditation, and other accreditation-related functions at the discretion of the Dean
▪ Perform other related duties, as assigned
Supervises the following (once hired): Director of Clinical Clerkship Coordinators, Clerkship Coordinators, and Clerkship Directors/Regional Dean/Core Site Directors, administrative assistant.
▪ A team player who values radical cooperation, mutual support and team cohesion
▪ Possess a medical degree in such as a DO or MD with a strong background in medical education. Preference will be given to candidates with a DO and to those with a prior experience in this role as an associate dean at a new osteopathic medical school.
▪ Experience with developing GME, clerkships, and other clinical learning experiences preferred
▪ Leadership abilities
▪ Strong interpersonal skills and enthusiasm to contribute to faculty growth and development
▪ Strong knowledge base in medical education curriculum development
▪ Strong team & team management skills
▪ Familiarity with AOA COCA requirements
▪ Strong oral and written communication skills
▪ Excellent public speaking skills
▪ Excellent service skills relevant to supervisor, peers, direct reports, medical students, and faculty
▪ Experience with medical school accreditation and reporting
▪ Budget management experience
Kansas Health Science Center offers a generous compensation and benefits package, as well as the opportunity to work for a leader in the field of education. Some of our key benefits include: generous paid time-off, medical and dental coverage, company-paid life and disability insurance, retirement plan with employer contribution, multiple flexible spending accounts (FSA), tuition reimbursement, professional development, and regular employee appreciation events.