BOLD VISION, GLOBAL IMPACT
POWERED BY INSTITUTIONAL ADVANCEMENT
The Search for a Vice-President and Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Institutional Advancement)
The University of Hong Kong (HKU) seeks a visionary and entrepreneurial leader with a global outlook for fundraising and external affairs to serve as the next Vice-President and Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Institutional Advancement) [VP/PVC (IA)] to lead strategic advancement and development functions. The VP/PVC (IA) will provide innovative and strategic leadership to all institutional advancement initiatives. Supported by the Development and Public Affairs teams at the University, the VP/PVC (IA) will be responsible for significantly increasing constituent involvement and fundraising outcomes, as well as strengthening the University’s reputation and visibility as a world-class university.
Ranked #1 as the most international university in the world by Times Higher Education and 21st among the world’s top universities by QS World University Rankings 2023, The University of Hong Kong is a leading university in Asia with 31,000 undergraduate and postgraduate students and more than 8,000 academic, academic-related and administrative staff.
The University, which is celebrating its 111th anniversary, strives to position itself at the forefront of developing Hong Kong into an international innovation and technology hub, creating many exceptional opportunities for future growth. Its ambitious infrastructure projects include the Tech Landmark project (to be completed in 2024), which will host 12 institutes focused on strategic interdisciplinary research; the Global Innovation Center, a World Class Lab for Research and Deep Tech; the Pokfield Campus, home to an academic-cultural-sports complex; the state-of-the-science transformation of the Medical Campus; the HKU-Shenzhen Campus; and other facilities required for recruiting and nurturing talents.
The University endeavours to recruit outstanding scholars from around the world, as well as nurture and grow top talents in the region to create a dynamic intellectual environment and a vibrant community for cross-disciplinary collaborations and knowledge transfer. With its first-class teaching and research talents and state-of-the-art infrastructures, HKU strives to contribute to interdisciplinary technology-led development, as well as to solve world problems with technology, innovation and passion. As a world-class university, HKU will continue to expand its global influence and become a global leader in innovation and technology.
Reporting to the President and Vice-Chancellor and working closely with other senior officers of the University, the VP/PVC (IA) is the key strategist for institutional advancement and provides innovative and strategic leadership to all institutional advancement initiatives with the goal of significantly elevating constituent involvement, increasing fundraising revenues, and enhancing HKU’s reputation and position as a world-class university. To this end, the VP/PVC (IA) will bring an entrepreneurial orientation to the University, the Development and Alumni Affairs Office (DAAO), and the Communications and Public Affairs Office (CPAO).
Key responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Serve as a full member of HKU’s Senior Management Team, which is chaired by the President/Vice-Chancellor; promote and advance HKU’s mission in concert with the President/Vice-Chancellor and senior leadership team;
• Serve as advisor and co-strategist to the senior management of the University in cultivating prospective donors, soliciting transformative gifts, representing HKU to the public;
• Provide the strategic vision and leadership to the advancement function resulting in a proactive, entrepreneurial operation; design and execute a comprehensive, integrated advancement strategy and infrastructure in order to build a best-in-class culture of engagement and philanthropy of a world-class university; lead the planning, preparation, and execution of comprehensive fundraising campaigns;
• Engage HKU’s significant local, regional, and international alumni network, growing the University’s pipeline of support and enhancing giving from individual and/or institutional donors; and
• Provide strong leadership and direction to the Development and Alumni Affairs Office and Communications and Public Affairs Office; build a strong team culture that prides itself on excellence and innovation; promote operational excellence and impact through well-defined goals and implementation of best practices; and foster a culture of professional philanthropy, accountability, and volunteerism within the HKU community.
Qualifications and Qualities
To achieve this broad mandate, the successful candidate for this position will meet the requirements and possess many, if not all, of the following characteristics:
• A university qualification with substantial experience in establishing a robust advancement function, fundraising best practices, and stakeholder engagement, preferably but not necessarily in academic, social, or NGO arenas;
• Excellent leadership, interpersonal, communication, and team-building skills. Ability to lead and inspire the team to meet aggressive goals and develop strategies to educate and engage all members of the HKU community in advancement efforts;
• Experience in expanding the donor pipeline and broadening engagement to the unengaged and next generation alumni and prospects;
• A proven track record of success in fundraising campaigns for complex major organisation(s) and familiarity with the modern machinery of fundraising in large organisations;
• Demonstrated ability to personally cultivate, solicit, and steward a select prospect portfolio at the major and principal gift levels and raise funds to support mission-critical goals;
• Empathetic relationship builder who promotes teamwork, and both communicates and listens to promote a collective overarching vision;
• Ability to command respect, instil trust, and represent the University credibly to the community;
• High level of creativity, innovation and entrepreneurship to produce solutions to problems, create new opportunities, and develop business benefits;
• Solid understanding of and strong connection with the local, regional, and global communities is an advantage, but not a must; and
• A strong commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion, engaging and supporting individuals of varied backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. Good understanding of international relations and public policy.
Nominations and Applications
The position is initially offered on a three-year term, with annual review and the possibility of renewal thereafter. Those with less experience or qualifications may be considered for appointment as Director, Institutional Advancement.
HKU has retained Isaacson, Miller, an executive search firm, to assist with this important search. For more information, to submit a nomination, or to apply for this role, please visit the link below. Review of nominations and applications will continue until the post is filled.
Jack Gorman, Partner
Elizabeth Neustaedter, Principal
Ryan Cheung, Search Coordinator
The University of Hong Kong is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to equality, ethics, inclusivity, diversity, and transparency.