Director of Research/Planning and Publications Manager
005-Office of Mission Effectiveness
In collaboration with the Vice President for Mission and Ministry (M&M) and the M&M leadership team, the Director is responsible for the development, creation and management of all strategic communication, including branding and marketing efforts in M&M. The Director is responsible for communication internally between all departments within our division through weekly calendar of events for M&M; advertising internally and externally all annual major events of M&M. This person will also create and distribute an electronic newsletter for the university community, alumni, donors and friends of M&M. In addition, this person will manage the Journal of Catholic Social Thought (JCST), ensuring that all unsolicited manuscripts are blind reviewed by members of our Editorial Board in a timely fashion, responsible for all communication between manuscripts providers and reviewers; prepare Call for Papers for future JCST volumes/issues and prepare ads for same.
Responsible for any changes to Tolle Lege and the annual distribution to the first year students and new faculty; prepare and manage the Advent/Lent Reflection booklets; prepare M&M Lecture Series and Conference materials when needed. Provide research and updating for M&M websites, especially the electronic bibliographies for Catholic Social Teaching issues. The individual selected must have the ability to handle a wide variety of projects in a fast-paced, multifaceted environment with the ability to work evenings, weekends and some holidays as the demands of the job dictate.
Villanova is a Catholic university sponsored by the Augustinian order. Diversity and inclusion have been and will continue to be an integral component of Villanova University's mission. The University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and seeks candidates who understand, respect and can contribute to the University's mission and values.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepare press releases for M&M events, internally and externally; create Campus Currents events postings and Civitas Dei invitations/announcement; provide M&M monthly calendar of M&M events for internal communication; prepare documents and draft press releases as needed for M&M in coordination with University Communication and Marketing.
- Meet with Vice President on a regular basis; Attend and participate in staff meetings; form an advisory committee with people from each area in M&M; quarterly meetings with University Communication and Marketing to ensure Villanova University strategic messaging and branding consistency.
- Assist in researching appropriate external grant opportunities and manage the grant writing; Coordinate Catholic Imagination in the Arts lecture series; Coordinate Augustinian Heritage Month events and major Augustinian feast days; (the M&M advisory committee above is a resource).
- Develop and edit Heart of the Matter on an annual basis; Prepare Advent and Lenten booklets; Edit/update Tolle Lege annually.
- Prepare booklet for Pellegrinaggio; Prepare brochures/programs for conferences, web sites, workshops etc.; preparation of ads for external advertising of major events in coordination with University Communcation and Marketing.
- Institute for Catholic Social Thought: Managing Editor of the "Journal of Catholic Social Thought; responsible for review of unsolicited manuscripts preparation of journal issues for printing and mailing to subscribers.
- Perform other duties and assist with projects as assigned.
- Bachelors degree required.
- 3 to 5 years related experience in communication, writing and editing required.
- The individual selected must have strong organizational and project management skills; oral and written communication skills, and interpersonal team work skills. Must be a self-starter who will proactively network, work collaboratively across Mission and Ministry and the university community, and seek out new and creative ways to strengthen the image of M&M. Must have the ability to think strategically and creatively; handle changing priorities in a deadline sensitive environment; handle confidential information with a high level of discretion; work effectively with internal and external leaders, faculty, staff and administrators, and work independently as well as a proven team member.
- Understanding of MS Office, Windows, and publications software.
- Masters Degree in Theology or equivalent is preferred.
- Understanding of Augustinian Heritage and the Catholic Intellectual Tradition preferred.
Physical Requirements and/or Unusual Work Hours
- Previous experience in Catholic Higher Education preferred.
Ability to occasionally work evenings, weekends and some holidays as the demands of the job dictate.
Special Message to Applicants
Closing Date (12am ET):
Open Until Filled:
Salary Posting Information:
Commensurate with experience
To apply, visit: https://jobs.villanova.edu/postings/13750
Villanova is a Catholic university sponsored by the Augustinian order. Diversity and inclusion have been and will continue to be an integral component of Villanova University's mission. The University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and seeks candidates who understand, respect and can contribute to the University's mission and values. Villanova University is committed to providing leadership in the attainment of equal employment for all individuals. It is the policy and practice of Villanova University to recruit and select applicants on the basis of their qualifications and abilities. This effort is in compliance with all federal and state laws, including Title VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1975, Executive Order 11246, and the Americans with Disabilities Act.