Lehman College of The City University of New York is CUNY’s only senior college in the borough of the Bronx. A federally designated Hispanic Serving Institution, Lehman serves a diverse population of more than 14,000 undergraduate and graduate students.
The Executive Counsel reports to the President providing legal guidance on a broad range of issues including, but not limited to: litigation, employment and labor law, compliance and contractual agreements, governance, fundraising, and immigration, including H-1B visa and permanent residence processes. The Executive Counsel serves as hearing officer of disciplinary and grievance proceedings and represents the College at higher levels of the disciplinary and grievance processes as the Labor Designee. The Executive Counsel also serves as the College’s liaison to the University Office of Legal Affairs and as the campus Ethics Officer, member of the Labor-Management Committee, Secretary to the College Personnel and Budget Committee, Secretary to the College Senate, Records Access Officer and is a member of the Behavioral Intervention Team (BIT.) The Executive Counsel provides legal advice and consultation to senior administrators, academic and administrative managers and faculty. As a member of the President’s Cabinet he/she contributes to the achievement of college goals and objectives by providing proactive and strategic guidance.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Provide consultation, coaching, legal counsel and advice to executive staff, managers, and department chairs to heighten their understanding of and compliance with contractual agreements, CUNY and College policies and procedures, federal, state and local law, and higher education regulations.
- Administer and interpret University Bylaws, University and College policies and procedures, College governance documents, collective bargaining agreements and prepare and/or review contracts and affiliation agreements entered into by the College.
- Handle employee grievances and disciplinary proceedings and serve as appeals agent for the student disciplinary process; advocate the College’s position at appeal hearings and represents the College at arbitration proceedings.
- Assist the Office of General Counsel and the NYS Attorney General’s Office in proceedings before federal and state courts and administrative agencies.
- Investigate complaints filed with outside agencies and respond to requests for records, files and documents required at legal proceedings.
- Review and respond to subpoenas and requests for information under the Freedom of Information Law (FOIL) and under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA.)
- Review and recommend institutional policies, procedures, and guidelines as needed and collaborate with University and College officials to develop and/or revise policies and procedures to ensure compliance and currency.
- Conduct ethics training and training on other issues relevant to the work of the office.
- Perform other related duties as assigned by the President.
This position is in CUNY’s Executive Compensation Plan. Candidates must have a JD, be admitted to the New York State Bar, and have at least eight years of related legal and/or labor relations experience. Experience in higher education is strongly preferred. The preferred candidate will have a professional record that demonstrates ethical leadership, progressively responsible duties, and significant interaction with senior leadership. The successful candidate will also communicate effectively, possess strong interpersonal and conflict management skills, and have a strong client services orientation. The ability to work collaboratively and collegially within a shared governance and collective bargaining environment and with stakeholders beyond the campus is essential.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary commensurate with education and experience.
CUNY’s benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
Go to https://cuny.jobs/lehman-college/new-jobs/, search job title or Job ID 20611, click the "Apply Now" Button and Follow the application instructions. Application materials include cover letter describing relevancy of professional experience to position and the names and contact for three references along with curriculum vitae/resume.
Open until filled with review of CVs to begin June 13, 2019.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected