The Head of Learning and Teaching role is:
1) To act as the university’s focal point, and lead, on all matters related to learning and teaching.
2) To chair the NU Learning and Teaching Committee.
3) To establish a Centre of Learning and Teaching, as a resource for all NU faculty.
4) To review, own, approve, update and implement the University Teaching and Learning Strategy (to include development of the Online and Blended Learning Strategy component).
5) To enhance the overall quality of instruction across the University, including dissemination of best practices in teaching and curriculum design.
6) To provide specific assistance to Schools in identifying teaching and learning needs, and to structure and facilitate the professional development of NU faculty in all areas of learning and teaching – including online and blended modes.
7) To create a basis for the introduction of stacked credentials.
8) To mentor and develop staff in the Office of the Provost.
9) To implement the Lifelong Learning Strategy.
10) To proactively share experience in the field of learning and teaching with other Kazakhstani universities.
11) To conduct scholarly activity and research as appropriate to the position.
). Honorary or professional doctorates are not appropriate qualifications for this specific role.
2) Work experience
Has achieved the academic rank of Associate or Full Professor in one of the NU Schools or in an highly ranked international or Kazakhstani university. Three or more years in a leadership role, for example, in Teaching and Learning, or in Academic Affairs.
- Distinguished record as a scholar and university level educator
- Knowledge of the Bologna Process, and experience in its implementation
- Knowledge of the principles of high quality learning within a research-intensive university
- Experience in online, blended and technology-enhanced learning
- Collaborative and collegial approach to creating and implementing University policies and procedures
- Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Experience in teaching students at undergraduate and graduate levels
- Nazarbayev University competency model;
- commitment to University goals and values;
- critical thinking;
- building effective relations;
- interpersonal skills;
- ability to work in team and individually;
- distinguished leadership skills
Recruitment and selection process
Recruitment and selection at Nazarbayev University include the following process: preliminary selection based on experience and qualifications, assessments (e.g. technical skills/capabilities, aptitude, personality, work samples, in-basket exercises, and informal interviews), and motivation.
Formal interviews form the final stage of the selection process.
They are typically based on organizational values and behaviors and conducted in English.
You are encouraged to share your views and values to identify how they fit into Nazarbayev University core values