Director of Summer Program (4168U) - CED
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
The Director of Summer Program uses skills as a seasoned, experienced public educational program professional to resolve a wide range of educational program issues and needs assessments. The incumbent develops new public educational programs, and works on complex public educational programs of diverse scope and demonstrates good judgment in selecting methods and techniques for delivering courses, presentations and development programs. The Director receives general instructions and exercises judgment in selecting methods and techniques for course and instructional improvement. This individual is fully knowledgeable in course subject matter and program.
For more information about CED, please visit our website at https://ced.berkeley.edu/about-ced/
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: 9/27/21
30% Plans and develops new programs and curriculum overviews and adjusts existing courses and curriculum in a continuing education environment. Implements educational events and/or communication strategies designed for external constituencies; which may include the general public, prospective students, parents, donors, campus visitors, and community representatives. Responds to constituent inquiries.
20% Participates in developing strategic marketing plans and associated marketing materials for target audiences.
20% Recruits, selects, orients and evaluates instructors. Identifies and develops evaluation tools for courses, instructors. Develops programs plans and schedules course offerings. Identifies course topics; determines instructor objectives, methods of instruction and locations. Tracks student/participant performance and course success factors.
10% Actively participates in long-range strategic planning for public educational programs, which includes researching and gathering relevant data to be used to inform strategic planning.
10% May provide presentation or instruction of course or program or mentor instructors concerning pedagogical and administrative challenges.
10% Develops, prepares and reconciles budget for College public education program. Maintain financial management and reporting system for CED public education program.
This appointment is 90% - 100% time
- Bachelor's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training.
- Continuing education in related field required.
- Thorough knowledge of functional area and understanding of how work may impact other areas.
- Thorough analytical skills to conduct analysis and develop recommendations, demonstrating organization and problem-solving skills.
- Thorough and effective verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills and presentation skills, including tact and political acumen to effectively represent the campus.
- Thorough knowledge of and skill in delivering educational programs.
- Thorough knowledge of current public educational programs and trends.
- Knowledge of managing a portfolio of business and management courses at the university or corporate level.
- Skill in using business software systems in the completion of work assignments; i.e., Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint.
- Thorough critical thinking and negotiation skills, including sound judgment and the decision-making skills to correctly identifying real and potential problems, advising management as required, and proposing effective strategic resolutions.
- Thorough knowledge of basic concepts, principles, and procedures of building and maintaining effective relations with internal and external constituencies.
- Experience with project management, including event planning and meeting deadlines.
- Through knowledge of the campus, its missions, goals, objectives, programs, achievements, infrastructure and issues of concern.
- Advanced skills using business software systems in the completion of work assignments; (e.g, Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint).
- In depth knowledge of HTML coding and proficiency in Adobe Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign.
- Master degree in environmental design, architecture, landscape architecture or city and regional planning and/or equivalent experience/training preferred.
Salary & Benefits
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
- The salary range designated for this position: $80,000 - $85,000; however, starting salary will be commensurate with experience.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=23997&PostingSeq=1