Associate Director, Alumni Relations (6299U) 25255
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles
, our Principles of Community
, and our Strategic Plan.
The Department of Intercollegiate Athletics consists of more than 275 staff members and coaches and sponsors 30 varsity sports programs. These 30 programs include more than 850 student-athletes who participate in the various sports programs annually within the National Collegiate Athletics Association (NCAA). We are currently seeking an Associate Director, Alumni Relations who will work within the department's development unit.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: October 22, 2021
The Cal Athletics Fund is the fundraising and alumni relations arm of UC Berkeley's Intercollegiate Athletics Department, Cal Athletics. We are responsible for raising philanthropic dollars to support the student-athletes, coaches, and programs for the department.
Under the supervision of the Assistant Athletics Director, Annual Giving & Alumni Relations, this position will support that mission by working to form and maintain a strong student-athlete alumni network. A successful network will allow the department to maintain contact with its main constituents after they graduate from Cal, keeping them involved with the school and programs they attended and were a part of. This position will be responsible for growing the network and keeping it engaged with current events and initiatives at Cal, with the ultimate goal of increasing student-athlete alumni philanthropy back to the department.
- Develops and implements programs, events and/or communication strategies designed to reach, serve and engage external constituencies through programs, events, products, and services not primarily related to fundraising.
- Partner with other alumni based programs and units at Cal (such as the Cameron Institute, Big C Society, University Development Alumni Relations, California Alumni Association, ProBears, etc.) and coordinate programs and strategies around student-athlete alumni engagement.
- Operate various programs and events to keep student-athlete alumni engaged with Cal, such as alumni reunions, viewing parties, student-athlete development opportunities
- Translates constituent needs and priorities into customized programs to create, enhance, and sustain relationships between the campus and its external constituencies.
- Work with other development staff, particularly development officers, on cultivation of former alumni with the potential to give. Make at least 10-15 substantive contacts per month with an emphasis on quality personal visits, and have 2-5 handoffs per month to development officers with ultimate goal of increasing student-athlete alumni giving.
- Maintain database and network of student-athlete alumni. This will include securing contact information as seniors graduate and leave Cal, keeping up to date information on alumni, and maintaining student-athlete alumni cards.
- May research various topics and gather relevant data to inform unit strategic plans, keeping management informed as necessary and providing input as required.
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent training/experience.
- Proven experience in alumni, donor, and community engagement and relations.
- Thorough knowledge of basic concepts, principles, and procedures of building and maintaining effective relations with internal and external constituencies.
- Skill in project management, including event planning and meeting deadlines. Ability to oversee multiple projects and quickly discern complex and competing interests.
- Skills to implement and execute programs including skills to achieve predetermined goals and objectives within budget and time constraints.
- Excellent research, organizational, analytical and critical thinking skills, including sound judgment and decision-making skills and skill to correctly identifying real and potential problems, advising management as required, and proposing effective strategic resolutions.
- Skills to analyze, evaluate and improve programs/services.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team oriented environment and collaborate on projects and assignments.
- Excellent written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to work across multiple databases and CRM systems.
- Ability to travel and attend weekend and evening events.
- Skill to maintain confidentiality.
- Understanding of the unique nature of collegiate athletics alumni relations.
- Working knowledge of the institution, its mission, vision, goals, achievements, policies, and infrastructure preferred.
- Knowledge and understanding of applicable NCAA and Pac-12 Conference rules and regulations.
Salary & Benefits
This is a full-time, career position. For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=25255&PostingSeq=1