As stewards of Tufts University’s physical environment, the Department of Facilities Services, a department within the university’s Operations Division, strives to provide responsive and cost-effective solutions that support our research and learning mission as well as to enhance the quality of our living and learning experience. Facilities Services is responsible for the maintenance and management of all university grounds and facilities consisting of approximately 5 million square feet of space across four campuses (Somerville/Medford, Grafton, Boston, and the School of the Museum of Fine Arts).
Within Facilities Services, a broad range of services are provided to support the university campuses including facility management and maintenance, engineering, custodial services, energy, and utilities systems planning and operations, recycling and waste management, event support and grounds aesthetics and maintenance.
Related departments, which require close coordination with Facilities Services, include the Operations Center, Capital Programs and Public and Environmental Health & Safety.
What You'll Do
This is an exempt position with a Tuesday to Saturday work schedule from 7:00 am to 3:30 pm.
Reporting to the Director of Campus Services, the Labor and Waste Operations Manager directly manages a waste reduction/recycling supervisor, a labor crew of utility and grounds workers in the performance of solid waste and recycling, event support, internal campus moves, snow removal and sanding operations, and general grounds services including storm drain maintenance, asphalt repairs and maintenance. The position oversees vehicle maintenance and repairs for in-house and contract maintenance services ensuring the safe upkeep and repair of university vehicles including cars, SUV’s, trucks, vans and heavy equipment. The position is responsible for the on-site management of the
Medford/Somerville campus pest control, solid waste and recycling services and contracts. Candidate must be able to work independently and collaboratively with facilities grounds and trades personnel, event’s office, various university staff and departments and contractors. The Labor and Waste Operations Manager is responsible for training and managing staff to ensure safety and performance quality and to ensure that administrative procedures, systems, and processes are followed. The position works collaboratively with the Grounds Manager and Events department, frequently sharing labor based on workload.
What We're Looking For
- Minimum of a two-year degree in Facilities Management, Environmental Management, Environmental studies or closely related field or a combination of a High School diploma with a minimum of 3 years of solid waste and recycling operations experience.
- Valid driver’s License.
- A minimum of a MA 2B hoisting license within one-year of hire.
- As an exempt position, the ability to work weekends, holidays, and extended shifts especially during inclement weather.
- Self-starter focused on continuous improvements and executing transformative change.
- Demonstrated first-line supervisory experience of a minimum of one (1) year supervising Leads and employees preferably in a union environment.
- Experience with operating snow removal equipment for winter operations for maintaining lots, drives and roads.
- Experience managing a cost center following budgetary expectations.
- Experience and knowledge about various types of vehicle repairs and service maintenance protocols.
- Maximo or comparable CMMS work order management experience.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills to foster effective working relationships at all levels.
- Comfortable working knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, Excel, and Word.
- MA pesticide Core applicators license
- Experience and knowledge of vehicle maintenance and repairs.
- Proven progressive leadership and management skills in a union environment.
- Two (2) or more years’ managing supervisory staff or leads preferably in a union environment.
- Experience with conflict resolution, labor/management grievance protocol and procedures
- Job related experience at an institution of higher education or campus-based facility
Special Work Schedule Requirements:
Work schedule: Tuesday to Saturday from 7:00 am – 3:30 pm
An employee in this position must complete all appropriate background checks at the time of hire, promotion, or transfer.
Equal Opportunity Employer – minority/females/veterans/disability/sexual orientation/gender identity.