Dean of the Graduate School and Vice Provost for
Bring your BOLDNESS. Enhance our RESEARCH. Share in our strategic VISION. Help us SHAPE the future and propel us forward into our next 200 years and beyond!
Celebrating our 200th anniversary, the University of Cincinnati, a nationally ranked and internationally renowned institution classified as an R1 University, invites applications and nominations for the position of Dean of the Graduate School and Vice Provost for Graduate Studies
Reporting to the Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost, the Dean/Vice Provost is the chief academic and administrative officer of the Graduate School. Working in partnership with other Deans, the Dean/Vice Provost is responsible for providing overall leadership, promoting academic excellence, advancing the University’s national and international prominence in research, and maintaining the highest quality in graduate education in alignment with the university’s strategic direction, Next Lives Here.
- Conceptualize a strategic and innovative vision of the Graduate School’s future that will motivate the faculty and inspire students;
- Play a key role in collaborating with academic units to develop recruitment strategies to attract and retain an inclusive and diverse graduate student body across the disciplines that offer graduate degrees.
- Foster a culture of accountability in which goals are specified, strategies articulated, and results against goals are reported;
- Provide leadership and guidance in fulfilling the Graduate School’s mission and vision;
- Implement the policies and procedures developed by the Board of Trustees and administrative leadership of the campus and the university;
- Strengthen existing programs and develop new ones to meet the needs of our urban community;
- Develop policies and oversee periodic reviews of graduate programs that ensure the quality of our academic programs is innovative and provides superior experiences to our graduate students;
- Enhance strong relationships with Cincinnati’s dynamic and diverse communities, while amplifying the Graduate School’s partnerships in the International arena, and engaging in activities that increase private and public buy in;
- Seek opportunities to maintain and strengthen relationships and interdisciplinary collaboration across UC’s campuses with other colleges, schools and academic units;
- Demonstrate the role of a strong and active advocate for graduate students and graduate education;
- Interact and collaborate with graduate students to seek their input.
While it is expected that the Dean will possess a distinguished academic record with a commitment to and evidence of promoting diversity and inclusiveness, applicants must also be minimally qualified by:
- Holding an earned doctoral degree and qualifications as an accomplished scholar and educator that satisfy the requirements for the rank of professor in one of the university’s academic departments.
- Having at least 4 years of administrative leadership experience including oversight of graduate programs.
Additional experiences and qualities to be considered by the search committee include:
UC GRADUATE SCHOOL
- Demonstrated outstanding accomplishments that could be translated into innovative leadership of the School;
- An entrepreneurial inclination combined with ambition, boldness, imagination and the desire to make an impact;
- Demonstrated commitment to inclusive excellence;
- Effective oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills;
- A clear vision of the strengths and opportunities within a graduate program and the necessary steps to achieve and surpass established goals and craft a strategic vision to the next level;
- Strong understanding of the challenges and issues facing higher education;
- Firm grasp of the opportunities and advantages of the university’s urban setting and R1 status;
- Successful administrative and budgetary / financial experience;
- History of grant funding and research innovation;
- Team-oriented practices based on a management style that is inclusive and focused;
- Established commitment to supporting and advocating for graduate students, especially in preparation for employment opportunities and other endeavors.
The mission of the UC Graduate School is to facilitate the attainment of the highest level of graduate research and scholarship, provide support and encouragement for student and faculty success, and manage university graduate policies, procedures and practices for graduate programs. UC offers 95 doctoral programs, 183 master’s programs, and 96 graduate certificate programs. Of the 370+ graduate programs, 74 are offered online. The Graduate School has just over eleven thousand enrolled students. Further information may be found at the School’s web site at http://grad.uc.edu
NEXT LIVES HERE
At UC we measure success through innovation, impact, and inclusion. Our strategic direction NEXT LIVES HERE embraces these three principles to amplify our core missions of teaching, research, and service. It’s the new culture at UC and the way we live, work and learn. See how we are living up to our vision, leading urban public universities into a new era of innovation and impact, by visiting uc.edu/nextliveshere
ABOUT UC & CINCINNATI
Today, the University of Cincinnati is classified as a Research University (Very High Research Activity) by the Carnegie Commission and is ranked as one of America’s top 25 public research universities by the National Science Foundation. U.S. News & World Report has ranked UC 63 “among the top tier of the Best National Universities.” Also considered a “green university” by Princeton Review, UC has been named one of the world’s most beautiful campuses by Forbes and Delta Sky magazines. Learn more about us at www.uc.edu
The City of Cincinnati was rated a Best Place
to live by US News & World Report and provides both urban and suburban life as well as river views and rolling hills. Our city offers a wealth of amenities that include professional sports, world-class entertainment, a vibrant arts scene, gorgeous parks and nature trails, acclaimed museums, a celebrated zoo, a variety of restaurants and a flourishing riverfront scene. In addition, this urban area offers the features of two cities, as it includes a thriving, developing area just across the river, in northern Kentucky. Affordable and family-friendly, with excellent public and private schools, it comes as no surprise that multiple Fortune 500 companies call Cincinnati home. Visit www.cincinnatiusa.com to learn more.
Interested applicants are requested to apply online at http://bit.ly/2OH9S27
and attach a curriculum vitae with a cover letter addressing qualifications. Nominations, only, may be sent confidentially to ExecutiveSearch@uc.edu
. Applications will be accepted and the position will remain open until filled.
The University of Cincinnati, as a multi-national and culturally diverse university, is committed to providing an inclusive, equitable and diverse place of learning and employment. As part of a complete job application, you will be asked to provide a Contribution to Diversity and Inclusion statement.
The University of Cincinnati is an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran.