Search for University Jobs in Senior Administration
Associate Director, Military Student Services (35982)
Northern Illinois University
The Office of Military and Veteran Services is seeking an experienced veteran services coordinator to serve as NIU’s school certifying official and assistant director. A student focused and detail oriented individual with the ability to train and develop student staff is desired.
This position is responsible for general office administration and budget support for the Military Student Services. Individual in this position works closely with the Director of Military Student Services under his supervision and performs duties to support the goals and mission of the department. Military Student Service supports the matriculation, retention, and persistence of students at NIU through direct service to non-traditional students (i.e. active duty military students, student Veterans, adult learners, student parents,), as well as through campus and community-wide initiatives and services focused on education, leadership, and service. MSS creates and supports opportunities for interaction between MSS students and university and community constituencies to provide a learning environment that supports all students.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist with the transition, retention, leadership development, and persistence of student Veterans, adult learners, and student parents, as well as other non-traditional students at NIU.
- Ensures the University is in compliance with VA federal and state guidelines.
- Conduct research and implement new policy when changes in legislation occurs.
- Interact with outside agencies to ensure the University completes audits with satisfactory results.
- Coordinates and disbursement of all federal and state educational benefits specifically related to military students that attend NIU.
- Provides leadership, direction, and supervision to graduate and undergraduate student staff associated with accomplishing the supportive and transitional service department goals.
- Use Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Publisher, Access), and My NIU systems database, VA Once database, and ISAC database for processing administrative work.
- Handles budget management, record keeping, and processing financial transactions.
Minimum Required Qualifications (Civil Service)
CREDENTIALS TO BE VERIFIED BY PLACEMENT OFFICER
- Master’s degree in Higher Education Administration, College Student Personnel, or a closely related field
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs)
1. Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups, and the measurement of training effects.
2. Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
3. Skill in analyzing information and evaluating results to choose the best solution and solve problems.
4. Skill in scheduling events, programs, and activities, as well as the work of others.
5. Skill in oral and written communication.
6. Ability to adjust actions in relation to others’ actions.
7. Ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
8. Ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense.
9. Ability to develop specific goals, plans to prioritize, organize, and accomplish tasks.
10. Ability to work effectively with staff, the public, and outside constituency groups.
11. Ability to effectively plan, delegate, and supervise the work of others.
12. Ability to utilize various computer software packages, such as Accounting Software, query, etc.
13. Ability to work independently and exercise judgment in order to be able to analyze and investigate a variety of questions or problems.
14. Ability to analyze and develop guidelines, procedures, and systems.
Specialty Factors (Civil Service)
Preferred Qualifications (Civil Service)
- Prior military experience or working with military and Veteran students; prior experience in a student affairs (professional or para-professional)
- Knowledge and understanding of student Veteran experiences.
- Demonstrated direct experience working with and understanding the needs and concerns of nontraditional students, particularly Veteran students.
- Demonstrated experience supervising employees.
- Demonstrated understanding and direct experience working with and supporting diverse populations.
- Demonstrated experience planning, implementing, and assessing departmental initiatives and services.
- Demonstrated experience leading and collaborating with a team.
- Demonstrated experience training, evaluating, and mentoring employees.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity.
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |