Search for University Jobs in Senior Administration
Executive Director of Health & Wellness
Tufts University is committed to providing transformative experiences for students in an inclusive and collaborative environment. To help realize that vision, the University seeks a dynamic and innovative Executive Director to shape the future direction of the Health and Wellness offerings. This is a tremendous opportunity to evolve services and programs by building upon an already strong foundation. The Executive Director will provide strategic leadership and oversight over a multidisciplinary team devoted to providing high-quality, student-centric health care and education. Tufts University is one of the nation's premier research universities located in the vibrant city of Boston.
Health and Wellness at Tufts supports and promotes health and wellbeing by providing comprehensive and integrative health care, advocacy, and education to a diverse population of nearly 9,000 undergraduate and graduate students—specifically the Schools of Arts and Sciences, the School of Engineering, and the SMFA at Tufts. The Executive Director is a key leader within the Division of Student Affairs, which focuses the holistic development of its student body. This position will help build a culture of respect that enables healthy choices and fosters positive health decisions and will ensure efficiency and effectiveness in the provision of integrated services. The successful candidate will have a demonstrated record of being an accomplished administrator who champions and advances diversity and inclusive excellence; a collaborative spirit and comprehensive perspective regarding the essential foundations for integrated health and counseling services; and a strong grasp of student health issues, trends, and best practices. This position requires an exceptional communicator who will be proactive in establishing strong partnerships and engendering trust across the campus including with other Student Affairs departments, academic departments, and the surrounding community of health care professionals.
About the University
In the spirit of our motto, Pax et Lux (“Peace and Light”), Tufts faculty and students work together as active global citizens, illuminating each other and the world. Centered in the vibrant academic landscape of Greater Boston, Tufts is the best of all worlds: a close-knit community with the resources of a major research university, a welcoming campus near big city opportunities, and a global network of accomplished alumni. Since 1852, Tufts has prepared exceptional students in diverse fields for lives of learning and leadership. Our commitment to the liberal arts, vital research enterprise, and collaborative, interdisciplinary culture combines to spark curiosity and create resounding global impact.
What You'll Do
The Executive Director provides administrative leadership to three departments: Health Service, Counseling and Mental Health Services, and the Center for Awareness, Resources, and Education (C.A.R.E.). That leadership includes setting a vision and strategic planning to departments’ long-term goals as well as yearly objectives. The Executive Director will have administrative oversight, working closely with directors on productivity and analyzing utilization data to provide direction on appropriate areas of health promotion and outreach for departments. Budgeting oversight for the departments is also critical for this role, including 3-year budget planning and projections, staffing needs and salary recommendations, approval for major expenditures, coordination of expenditures (e.g., uniform system for electronic medical records), as well as evaluating economies of scale. Ensuring appropriate evaluation of services and student satisfaction is essential to providing quality care and having a visible presence on campus will be essential to success in this role.
Finally, the Executive Director seeks student feedback on satisfaction with all services under the Executive Director's purview; evaluates the success of programs and policies, and conducts appropriate research on student health issues in order to benchmark with peer institutions and keep updated on national trends and adjusts programming accordingly; and advises campus leaders on all major public health concerns—e.g., health disaster planning, state laws regarding health requirements, pandemics, etc.
- Provides strategic leadership and administrative oversight to ensure that each department is appropriately meeting student needs.
- Develops policies across departments that are consistent, equitable, and fair, both in their formulation and impact.
- Works with department directors on long term planning goals re: technology, staffing, and any other issues impacting their departments.
- Helps address parent and student concerns, questions, complaints as needed.
- Seeks out efficiencies and economies of scale when possible.
- Reviews monthly reports on progress and productivity.
- Reviews student surveys and assesses patient satisfaction and outcomes.
- Works with student groups on health issues and health promotion.
- Represents the Tufts Health programs locally, regionally, and nationally.
- Prepares budgets for both departments, ensure each department is managing costs and expenses appropriately by reviewing fiscal reports, makes staffing decisions as budgets dictate.
Campus-wide Leadership and Visibility
- Advises campus leaders on current issues impacting student and community health and wellbeing.
- Thinks creatively and innovatively to respond to existing or emerging health challenges.
- Takes advantage of opportunities to collaborate with community health and other Tufts programs for student internships, teaching opportunities, etc.
- Identifies and applies best practices concerning the trans-disciplinary provision of wellness services to students. Implementation might include organizational and program changes within the cluster as necessary.
- Ensures appropriate and effective health education and outreach is done around campus.
- Stays aware of and conducts health measures research.
- Applies for relevant health grants.
- Other duties as assigned.
What We're Looking For
- Knowledge and skills as typically acquired through completion of a master’s degree in public health, health care administration, education, social work, or a related field. Strategic leader with experience in higher education health service, community health, or non-profits with a public health focus.
- Experience in budgeting, supervision of professional staff, facility operations, and strategic planning.
- Knowledge of issues impacting a young adult population including sexual health, substance use/abuse, gender identity and expression, disorder eating, violence prevention, sexual misconduct, and mental health.
- Understanding of and adherence to a health care delivery approach that sees prevention, treatment, and response as intertwined.
- Evidence of a firm commitment to social justice and transparency within a community of diverse racial, ethnic, socio-economic, gender, gender expression and other identities; evidence of a firm commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion as core values in the delivery of health services, including but not limited to hiring, staff training and management training.
- Experience in dealing with public health issues, crisis management, and emergency response. Experience in policy making and advocacy.
- Experience with grant writing and fundraising around health/mental health.
- Proven ability to work independently and as part of a team; proven ability to develop and maintain productive, collegial working relationships.
- Excellent communication and public-speaking skills.
- Advanced degree (PhD preferred) in public health, health care administration, education, social work or similar.
- Experience evaluating, refreshing, and updating administrative policies, office systems and budgets within a college or university setting strongly preferred.
- A demonstrated understanding of strategic planning, experience utilizing data and assessment to inform decision making, and effective advocacy skills are all preferred.
- Experience in business analysis, health insurance negotiation, risk management, organization development and business design, and practice management associated with health services (lab fees, pharmaceutical costs, etc. )
Tufts University has partnered with Keeling & Associates, LLC for this search. Applications should include a resume/curriculum vitae and a cover letter addressing your interest in and qualifications for the position. Application materials must be sent, preferably as PDFs, to email@example.com with the subject heading “Tufts University Executive Director.” Candidates are encouraged to submit application materials by August 5th, 2022, to receive full consideration. The application review process will continue until an appointment is made.
Confidential inquiries and nominations should be addressed to the K&A senior consultant leading this search, Dr. Lili Rodríguez, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Tufts prohibits discrimination against and harassment of any student, employee, applicant for employment, third party, patient, visitor or community member because of: race, color, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, religion, disability, sex or gender (including pregnancy, sexual harassment and other sexual misconduct including acts of sexual violence such as rape, sexual assault, stalking, sexual exploitation, sexual exploitation and coercion, relationship/intimate partner violence and domestic violence), gender identity and/or expression (including a transgender identity), sexual orientation, military or veteran status, genetic information, the intersection of these identities or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law, herein called “protected categories.” The university expects all Tufts employees, students, visitors, patients, and community members to join with and uphold this commitment. For more information, please visit: oeo.tufts.edu
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |