Search for University Jobs in Senior Administration
Women's Basketball Director of Operations (5173U) - 27348 - 1177
University of California, Berkeley
Women's Basketball Director of Operations (5173U) - 27348 - 1177
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptance academic and artistic, political and cultural make it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: August 8, 2019
The Department of Intercollegiate Athletics consists of more than 275 staff members and coaches and sponsors 30 varsity sports programs. These 30 programs include more than 850 student-athletes who participate in the various sports programs annually within the National Collegiate Athletics Association (NCAA). We are currently seeking a Director of Operations who will work within the department's Women's Basketball team.
The Director of Operations will be responsible for all aspects of administration for the Cal Women's Basketball program. This job requires managing multiple tasks and changing priorities in an often hectic setting. The Director of Operations will act as a liaison with other department staff members to provide information and facilitate program operation. Within the program, he/she will act of as the Chief of Staff with the coaches as well as the support staff in developing and maintaining the structure of the office and overseeing the larger process of workflow within each aspect of the program.
- Work closely with Head Coach to assess the organization and structure of the program to allow for maximum efficiency and a High Performance model.
- Assist Head Coach with oversight and assignment of tasks for the Coordinator of Operations, Director of Video, and Operations Intern positions. Includes assigning projects/tasks and delegating responsibilities as part of a project.
- Serve as the primary liaison and collaborator with other department units to accomplish goals set forth by the Women's Basketball Task Force.
- Complete forms, provide information, and serve as liaison to various department staff members regarding women's basketball players, recruits, and staff including admissions, financial aid, and housing forms and applications.
- Respond to requests from various constituencies for student-athletes or Head Coach appearances. prioritize requests, and maintain appearance calendar.
- Manage online calendars for Head Coach, Team, and Women's Basketball Staff and ensure that all appropriate personnel have access to view calendars.
- Coordinate training table and pre-game meals.
- Consult with caterer and nutritionist in developing meal menus.
- Coordinate booster club activities with Development Office, including correspondence and benefit fulfillment.
- Under coaches' direction, coordinate recruiting activities for Women's Basketball, including managing database, mailings, and arrangements for official and unofficial visits, and recruiting gate list.
- Coordinate purchasing for the team including obtaining price quotes and completion of paperwork.
- Ensure appropriate office coverage during normal business hours.
- Maintain a thorough understanding of the program's operating budget on a consistent basis.
- Review monthly expenditure reports and meet with Budget Analyst to address adjustments, areas of concerns, and projected forecasts.
- Work with department travel office to negotiate and implement arrangements for team travel, which includes booking flights, hotels, and ground transportation.
- Organize team needs on road trips, which include creating itineraries, practice times, organizing hotel and restaurant meals, etc.
- Make arrangements for vacation housing and per diem for student-athletes.
- Manage practice and competition schedule for the team, which includes, meeting with Head Coach to determine practice preferences, then works with Department scheduler to ensure availability of times. In addition, serve as the main communicator about all schedules to staff, student athletes, and support staff.
- Serve as representative for Women's Basketball at all Game Operations meetings led by Event Management office.
- Coordinate food and supplies for home and visiting team needs (equipment, hospitality, medical, etc).
- Work with equipment manager and team managers as needed to provide services to team.
- Secure practice facilities for visiting team in coordination with coaches and scheduling committee, and notify all appropriate parties.
- Coordinate player, coach, recruit, and complimentary ticket requests for all games.
- Schedule and coordinate all aspects of booster club events, which include, open practices, pre-game chalk talks, post-game receptions.
- Schedule and coordinate other team events (i.e. Alumni Reunion, Senior Day, End of the Year Banquet)
- Work with Head Coach to determine the event's program.
- Ensure confidentiality of information.
- Other tasks as assigned by supervisor.
- In depth knowledge and understanding of managing a Division 1 Basketball program.
- Experience making complicated travel arrangements for teams or large groups.
- Knowledge and experience using Word, Excel, and Google Applications.
- Exceptional communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Ability to handle a high-paced environment and work efficiently within it, including dealing with competing demands and prioritizing appropriately.
- Must be detail oriented and extremely organized.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- In depth knowledge of applicable NCAA rules and regulations.
- Previous experience working in team operations in the college or professional sports field.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent training/experience.
- Knowledge of University and Department policies.
- Master's degree.
Salary & Benefits
This is an exempt, monthly paid position. Annual salary is commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
A valid driver's license and DMV check for driving record is required.
- This is a 40-hour per week, 12-month, temporary (Contract) appointment.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=1177&PostingSeq=1
Please reference AcademicKeys.com in your cover letter when
applying for or inquiring about this job announcement.
Please see the job description for contact details
pertaining to this university job announcement.
Refer this job to a friend or colleague!
New Search |